Pear Shapes - To run or not to run?

Options
I am a dancer and have dancer legs and hips...yay. Unfortunately I have a layer of fat on top of those muscles that won't seem to go away! I hear (from 3 trainers) that pear shapes shouldn't run because it will make your legs bigger? Can anybody vouch for that or are they all crazy? I hate power-walking and the elliptical does nothing for me. HELP! Signed - thunder thighs ;)

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump - I'm in the same pear-shaped boat.
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful stupid, like women not using weights because it will make them big. Running is about cardio, and it should create long lean muscle
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have a big butt and legs. I'd rather them be thick and defined than thick and flabby. It's not like our legs will double in size.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    i am pear shaped and how I countered this previously was yoga. toned and gave me lean muscles. I know being pear shaped I worry about bulking up and then just looking more like a pear, which if I am not careful about what exercising I am doing can happen.

Yoga is what I would recommend.
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a dancer and have dancer legs and hips...yay. Unfortunately I have a layer of fat on top of those muscles that won't seem to go away! I hear (from 3 trainers) that pear shapes shouldn't run because it will make your legs bigger? Can anybody vouch for that or are they all crazy? I hate power-walking and the elliptical does nothing for me. HELP! Signed - thunder thighs ;)

BUMP.... me tooo
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! that is sooo not true. i am a pear shape and I like to run almost everyday. It has done the complete opposite of what this trainers have told you. Is like some people say if you lift weights you will get bulky which is not true at all. muscle burns fat.
  • litnerd4life
    litnerd4life Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a pear-shape, and my body never looked better than when I was running consistantly (my friend, a pear-shape as well, says the same thing). I just had a baby, and am trying to get back to running as much as I was before I had her. I say do it! I have never once seen an avid runner that had anything less than amazing, lean, muscular legs...and there just isn't a better cardio exercise I can think of.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    That is stupid. I'm a pear too but running didn't make my legs or thighs bigger, in fact i lost some fats on the bottom. How can an aerobic cardio workout will make a body part bigger? If its a strength training I can say it will but not an aerobic exercise because it is designed to melt the fats away.
  • joycieg
    joycieg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why would that possibly be, that only certain 'shapes' can run without getting big legs? That is the oddest thing I've heard about running, LOL
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Watch a marathon on TV and how many pear shaped professional runners do you see? None. So I would say if you want to run, then run you should.
  • ebs6778
    ebs6778 Posts: 8
    Options
    Well does anyone know how to reduce lower body and keep your boobs a decent size?!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That is absurd.

Running doesn't bulk you up!

I found once I started running, it has slimmed down my hips, butt and thighs. Even my saddlebags went away.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    that is not true. My trainer told me the opposite. If you run, you body gets leaner esp legs/thighs. But, if you bike, you legs will get stronger and could get bulkier (with muscle ofcourse).
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Time to get a new trainer.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot less pear-shaped since I started running.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I think it depends on the person whether it slims your legs or not. I know plenty of people that say it will slim down your legs and also know plenty of people (myself included) that have their legs get bigger when they do a lot of running. Even in high school when I was much smaller than I am now I ran a lot and always had big thighs.

I am more of an hourglass shape than a pear shape, but for me my legs definitely get bigger when I run. My thighs are almost 3 inches bigger since I have been running, but most of the flab is gone so I'd rather have big thighs that are muscular than big thighs that are flabby.
  • pezmel
    pezmel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a combination eggplant and squash body and I still run. Dumbest advice I've heard in a while.

Worry about the weight you want to lose and then worry about the boobs. Stop trying to look like a Barbie doll. Unless you want to have large amounts of synthetic material injected into your body it probably isn't going to happen.
  • Drpmkumaran
    Drpmkumaran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any aerobic exercise or a cardio will burn your far.. Running will not make you bulkier in the thighs in the long run... You can also try doing exercises that will tone your quadriceps and your gluteal muscles... It'll give you a great shape when done regularly... The easiest one would be to stand behind a chair, just place your fingertips on the backrest for support... Then lift one leg approx. One feet from the ground. Try to keep your body as straight as possible. Hold this position for 30 secs then repeat with the other leg. Do it for 20reps. you should feel a slight pain in your bums after you finish if you do it right.. It'll shape your bottom and I hope it works for you asitdid for me :-)
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    NO WAY!!! I am a pear and running MAKES YOUR LEGS SMALLER!!! they will get harder and more toned so you might mistake that at first as bigger but I have been training for my first half marathon and my legs keep shrinking!! measure them as you go and you will see! They are smaller than they have ever been! Run Sweetie!! You'll be glad you did!:wink:
  • cariandy
    cariandy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me if you want encouragement! :smile: