Why am I gaining weight on 1200 calories?

Options

Replies

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose, I gained a few pounds and it took weeks for it to go away. I think the new exercise routine is what did it.

In the long run it is better to exercise for your health, happiness, and (of course) so you can eat a bit more. But it is also an extra variable that can make the weight loss process a little more unpredictable ;)
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, I messed up and should have hit her quote button! Thanks! I think there is some type of confusion on something I wrote. I never stated that people can gain weight in a deficit. I was referring to something else and did not hit the quote button like I should have, no big deal. Obviously, if we create a deficit, over time we will lose weight, not gain it.
  • susb
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

Thanks! Yes #4 is the point I was trying to make all along.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    susb wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »

Thanks! Yes #4 is the point I was trying to make all along.
    Strangely enough, there are lots of people on these boards who will argue that it's been proven wrong.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,686 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    You do realise that the Minnesota starvation experiment showed signs of adaptive thermogenesis beyond that explained by loss of lean mass, right?

and that normal reading comprehension of what @susb wrote:
    Because I feel her intake is too low for a person her age. It can temporarily slow down her metabolism . Patience is huge when losing weight. Temporary factors such as water intake, periods and even going to the bathroom can make a difference on the face of the scale.
    ... does not come up with anything about gaining fat while at a caloric deficit.

I don't know about you; but when I see "temporarily slow down her metabolism" I translate "temporarily demonstrate smaller than expected TDEE"... which just happens to coincide with a restricted definition of adaptive thermogenesis. Why restricted? Because AT's definition does not indicate if this is a temporary condition or not, in fact persistence of adaptation is one of the issues that are not clearly resolved.

So either the "starvation mode does not exist" mantra, when someone is clearly talking about adaptive thermogenesis, is just that... a mantra uttered out of force of habit that has nothing to do with the post in question; or it is an argument that adaptive thermogenesis doesn't exist.

Since 13.33% of the threads in the stickied http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads post deal with the issue of adaptive thermogenesis, and since we have, presumably, all read those threads and the peer reviewed papers they reference, I think that we can probably all agree that a whole whack of scientists have written papers that indicate that adaptive thermogenesis does seem to exist under certain conditions.

Regardless of whether it has affected us personally or not.
  • cayordogfood
    cayordogfood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    nikkibay8 wrote: »
    I'm 26. 5'4" and began at 131lbs one month ago. I work a sedentary job. For the past month, I have been eating 1200 calories per day (weighing/measuring all food with my scale and pre-packing all food for work). In the past two weeks, I have been to the gym 7 times lifting heavy weights with 4 times doing cardio, not changing my caloric intake. I just weighted myself at 139lbs!!! I have NEVER weighed this much before! What is the deal?!
    This is we are women many things are effector like, do you have thyroid disease in your family if you didn't have thyroid disease did you lose some Lee come down with it you will get an expected weight gain with the same exercise and calorie intake would you were losing with and then you have water weight gain from light our time in the mom and we're just prone to Waterway game to begin with even when it's not and then you can pregnancy I mean you can be eating a low-calorie and acting like exercising see if you like crazy but if your pregnant your body is going to want to gain weight for some reason I know I read the books on it but I don't still see why we need to gain weight to be pregnant long for eating healthy so basically I think you should get your thyroid checked get your how much water your container checked in a pregnancy test done and they don't usually Mark Foods very accurately sometimes you could also be extending more calories than you think you are without realizing it even though you do and everything very to the point is that if you get what I'm saying
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I don't know about you; but when I see "temporarily slow down her metabolism" I translate "temporarily demonstrate smaller than expected TDEE"... which just happens to coincide with a restricted definition of adaptive thermogenesis. Why restricted? Because AT's definition does not indicate if this is a temporary condition or not, in fact persistence of adaptation is one of the issues that are not clearly resolved.

I didn't read her post that way at all. I read it as "Oh my gosh you are slowing down your metabolism by eating too little". That's the way it came across. Adaptive thermogenesis IS normal. And expected. It's what happens when you get smaller. So to make this statement that sounds like something "bad" is happening, when that something happens to be a normal and expected effect, well it sounds incorrect to me.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,686 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I didn't read her post that way at all. I read it as "Oh my gosh you are slowing down your metabolism by eating too little". That's the way it came across. Adaptive thermogenesis IS normal. And expected. It's what happens when you get smaller. So to make this statement that sounds like something "bad" is happening, when that something happens to be a normal and expected effect, well it sounds incorrect to me.

A reduction in TDEE ***BEYOND*** what is explained by loss of weight (and more specifically lean mass) IS the definition of adaptive thermogenesis in the context we are discussing.

Adaptive Thermogenesis with Weight Loss in Humans M.J. Muller € 1 and A. Bosy-Westphal:
    Adaptive thermogenesis (AT) with weight loss refers to underfeeding-associated fall in resting and nonresting energy expenditure (REE, non-REE); this is independent of body weight and body composition. In humans, the existence of AT was inconsistently shown and its clinical significance has been questioned

ETA: I chose that definition because it is the correct one in the context we are discussing. I've deliberately included the next sentence :)

Even though this particular paper does go on to find evidence of AT, I am not hiding that it is a subject that not everyone agrees with.

My opinion is that starting weight, method of weight loss, genetics, and previous history all contribute to whether AT comes into play or not.
  • susb
    Options
    Didn't mean for anyone to get upset. I was simply offering my opinion and advice which is based on many experts who state that 1,200 is the minimum a woman should consider when creating a deficit unless a Dr. suggests otherwise.

I used myself as an example. I no longer burn calories like I did in my 20's. I created a deficit and try to stay in the 1,200 area each day. It is the correct area for me, at my age, in order to lose a pound a week by cutting close 500 calories plus each day, in addition to exercise. In order to maintain my weight, I have to stay in the area of 1,600 each day. Not much wiggle room.

A much younger person can simply cut 500 from an average 2,000 caloric intake to lose a pound of weight in a week in most cases.

As most of you know, it's all about he math.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm 26. 5'4" and began at 131lbs one month ago. I work a sedentary job. For the past month, I have been eating 1200 calories per day (weighing/measuring all food with my scale and pre-packing all food for work). In the past two weeks, I have been to the gym 7 times lifting heavy weights with 4 times doing cardio, not changing my caloric intake. I just weighted myself at 139lbs!!! I have NEVER weighed this much before! What is the deal?!
    This is we are women many things are effector like, do you have thyroid disease in your family if you didn't have thyroid disease did you lose some Lee come down with it you will get an expected weight gain with the same exercise and calorie intake would you were losing with and then you have water weight gain from light our time in the mom and we're just prone to Waterway game to begin with even when it's not and then you can pregnancy I mean you can be eating a low-calorie and acting like exercising see if you like crazy but if your pregnant your body is going to want to gain weight for some reason I know I read the books on it but I don't still see why we need to gain weight to be pregnant long for eating healthy so basically I think you should get your thyroid checked get your how much water your container checked in a pregnancy test done and they don't usually Mark Foods very accurately sometimes you could also be extending more calories than you think you are without realizing it even though you do and everything very to the point is that if you get what I'm saying

No, I dont get what you're saying at all..

That's the longest run on sentence I have ever seen. I didn't get it either. :s
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »

No, I dont get what you're saying at all..

That's the longest run on sentence I have ever seen. I didn't get it either. :s
    I was hoping it wasn't just me after a long day of work.

I do think that they suggested to make sure it isn't pregnancy. Which can occasionally happen even while on BC.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your scales are calibrated/accurate?

Weighing at the same time of day on the same scales in similar clothing/nude is best for accuracy.

Many like to weigh first thing in the morning after a wee.

While water retention is one explaination, but consider if the scales are off, or your using different ones, or weighing under different circumstances then the difference may not be as drastic a gain as you're thinking.
  • susb
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Because I feel her intake is too low for a person her age. It can temporarily slow down her metabolism .

So are you saying....starvation mode?

lmyt74xfc2sc.gif

Hilarious! I won't be using that term again! I haven't been on the message boards for a few years and so much has changed.
  • Jen_HealthCoach
    Jen_HealthCoach Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @nikkibay8 I'd do my weigh in once per week on the same day first thing when you wake up in the morning with no clothes on. Also, if you are doing heavy weight lifting you are more than likely gaining muscle. ;)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @nikkibay8 I'd do my weigh in once per week on the same day first thing when you wake up in the morning with no clothes on. Also, if you are doing heavy weight lifting you are more than likely gaining muscle. ;)

on 1200 calories its highly unlikely.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough for the amount of excercise you're getting. Your body will think you're starving and go into a starvation mode to protect you. 1,200 calories is low for a young woman. I am 62 and that is the area I am in to create a deficit.

Please ignore the above - it's nonsense

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In the past two weeks, I have been to the gym 7 times lifting heavy weights with 4 times doing cardio,
    jetsman37 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are gaining muscle weight- which is a good thing. If lifting is a key part of your routine I would focus on body composition rather than the weigjt on the scale. Are your clothes loser? That is a good sign you are losing fat weight but gaining muscle which will help you torch more calories moving forwards.

Muscle weight? She's been to the gym 7 times in 2 weeks... .
    jetsman37 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are gaining muscle weight- which is a good thing. If lifting is a key part of your routine I would focus on body composition rather than the weigjt on the scale. Are your clothes looser? That is a good sign you are losing fat weight but gaining muscle which will help you torch more calories moving forwards.

LOL...you think she gained over 5lbs of muscle in SEVEN total workouts??? if so, she needs to tell us all her secret!!
    Oops... I missed your post before posting mine. Sorry :wink:
  • nikkibay8
    nikkibay8 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your replies!! I wasn't expecting so many answers. There seems to be a common agreement that it is water retention from my new workouts. This is good news!