weight loss for large breast reduction

Options
madzyjj168
madzyjj168 Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I am 21 now and in serious need for a breast reduction. I have always been big in the chest and I don't have kids. For the past 4 years I have been at a 10J/32J. I have lost approx 12kg from 90 so i am 78kg now and have noticed no difference in my breast size. I can get my band size down to a size 8/30 but not the cup. Going up a band size and down a cup size does not work for me at all. I struggle with exercise because of breathing and back/neck pain issues (sports bras do not particularly help). Any ideas on how to decrease size of breasts and overall exercises to help with weight loss in my heavy condition?
THANKS!

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    You might lose some weight from the breasts by losing weight overall, but the amount would be variable. Some people lose a lot from their boobs, some lose not much at all and have a worse body to boob ratio which hurts more. You won't be able to tell until you lose more weight.

As far as exercises go, just try things and find things that doesn't hurt you and do them. You will probably like low impact/lower body exercises.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Mine reduced a bit after significant weight loss; I was about 34H or 36H at 185lbs; I'm around 32F or thereabouts now at 140lbs (UK sizes).
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, losing weight may not make any difference. Some people naturally lose weight from the bust, some don't, and there's no way to target exactly where your body sheds. You may get lucky, but really the only reliable way to reduce breast size is surgically :(
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    There are two types of tissue present in the breast: glandular tissue and fat tissue. By losing weight, you can reduce the fat tissue and sadly, there's no way to target that directly. You have to keep on losing weight.

If you still don't lose cups, chances are you have a whole lot more glandular tissue, and the only reliable way of reducing that is, as the poster above mentioned, surgically.

I'm working on losing fat to hopefully reduce by breasts (G cup currently). Once I hit a BMI of sub-25, and if I still have too high a volume, then my health insurance will pay for the necessary surgery. Sadly, my back makes losing cups necessary. :unamused:
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Women have different proportions of fat vs glandular tissue in their breast. If yours are mostly glandular, then no amount of weight loss is going to reduce them.

Surgery may not be on your radar, but if you have a large volume of glandular tissue that you want less of, it may be the best option.

Often plastic surgeons will give a free consultation on this kind of surgery. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get a professional opinion to be best informed about your options.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Don't be tempted by surgery unless you're at your healthy weight and the problem still exists.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, it seems for you that it comes down to genetics, seeing as how your band size is fairly small, and even if you lose significant weight you probably won't see much of a reduction. I was very similar when I was younger--even when my BMI was around 19 (when I was in my 20s) I was still large-breasted. I never opted for surgery, but mine weren't interfering with exercising as yours are. Now that I'm in my 40s I have lost cup sizes--surgery might be on the table now because they look so sad!

My advice: keep losing weight as steadily as possible, and tuck aside some money for surgery for when you are near your goal weight.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Its no fun being large breasted it plays havoc with the posture. I knew someone with a worse problem than mine, she was fortunate to have a breast reduction on the NHS 40 years ago. I'm not convinced they would be so obliging for someone these days. She did not take the weight loss step first. I take encouragement from what milincy says, she is more comfortable at 140 lb give or take, this is about where I would ultimately like to be. Its about where I was with a 29 inch under bust. (too much water has gone under the bridge since then) As I've reduced my band size the cup was a steady g. A g cup in a 40 is larger than in a 38 and 36 and so it goes. The problem of too much weight up front is still there.

I like the idea of researching your options, to discover the cons of surgery, not least would undergoing a ga be advisable, you are aware of the probably benefits. Your decision must be based on your pain/postural damage and how it gets in the way of your life. As someone above said this a medical health issue, she is hopeful of her costs being covered by her health insurance at a bmi of less than 25. Could it be for you, particularly as you are able to show how you are working to improve your own health first. This is not a vanity issue, its more basic than that.

All the very best.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. But even when I was 60kg I was still an Australian F cup. Im now a G. I'm really really considering getting a reduction when I've hit my goal if I can afford it. I work in theatre so anaesthetically I'm not bothered because I know how amazing and knowledgable the drs are, but surgically, it's scary not knowing the exact outcome and extent of scarring. I've had a consult and I have to lose weight before they do it anyways so they are taking glandular tissue and not just fat tissue. Big boobs are painful:-( mentally and physically.
  • jmb6739
    jmb6739 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Weight had no impact on my cup size either, and I had reduction surgery years ago. Best thing I ever did! I only regretted waiting, and I was young when I did it. First 2 weeks after are a bit tough, but after that I was back to normal life, and now exercising is never an issue. Even after 20 years, and gained weight, my size is still the same as post surgery. Some of us really can't change cup size by losing or gaining weight.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I previously lost over 108lbs from 233 to 125 and still had the same DD cups (just a smaller band size). That was in 2012. I've now creeped back up to 189 so I'm back at it again.

My doc said since the base of my breasts is so large, plastic surgery meant only going from a DD to a D. Not worth it in my opinion. I hope you have better results than me!!!
  • kq1981
    Options
    jmb6739 wrote: »
    Weight had no impact on my cup size either, and I had reduction surgery years ago. Best thing I ever did! I only regretted waiting, and I was young when I did it. First 2 weeks after are a bit tough, but after that I was back to normal life, and now exercising is never an issue. Even after 20 years, and gained weight, my size is still the same as post surgery. Some of us really can't change cup size by losing or gaining weight.

What is the scarring like? Is it extensive or did it fade a little over time?
  • kq1981
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »

I know you were asking another poster but thought I'd share as well (b/c this is a hard decision for most people!).

I was a person who was fairly small in body size but very large chested even as a teen. In my early 20's I had a breast reduction. On the one hand, I have no regrets and was sooooo happy when it was done. I literally walked out of surgery without 10 pounds of breast tissue. I looked and felt normal for my body size. The only regret I have is that I was completely unable to breastfeed my children. Before surgery the surgeon said I would be able to BF but I would probably have to supplement. However, during surgery they had to remove so much tissue that nerves ended up getting cut that were needed for let down. I had milk like crazy, but zero let down (and no feeling when my milk came in either). So I would just say that if a person wants to BF they need to really consider that during surgery things could change and they may not be able to and they should be prepared for that. If BF is non-negotiable for them then they should wait until after they are done having children.

Scarring wise, you can't even see my scars today (I had it done at 21 and today I'm 47). They make an incision like a cats face. Think of it as a line from the bottom of the n*pple to below the breast and then all along the underside of the breast. Within a year I could barely see I'd had surgery. I married at 25 and my husband would have never known had I not told him. And even after gaining weight from being pregnant and living, I only regained one cup size. I was just never one to gain or lose much in my chest. Those are the type of people that seem to do best with reduction surgery.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Would I have waited until I was done having children, yes. But otherwise, one of the best decisions I ever made (and probably one of my better ones at 21! ;) ).

I've done my time with breast feeding. But thank you soooo much for sharing:-) I've been wanting it done FOREVER.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if most of your breast size is coming from glands, weight gain/loss doesn't change cup size, just band size. The only thing that changed my size significantly was pregnancy and nursing, and I went right back to my old size afterwards. And every year when I get my mammogram I get a message about "difficult to read; dense tissue."

If that's the case, then reduction is the only way you're going to change the size of the actual breasts rather than the ribcage underneath.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »

I had a breast reduction at 20 years old. I was an FF and went to a D. I lost 12 pounds of tissue in the process. My doctor actually referred to my breasts as "rocks" they were so dense and heavy. Like others have said, it was the BEST decision I have made. Even though I have gained about 60 pounds since surgery, I have only actually went up to a DD.

My scars are nearly non-existent at this point. I know they are there, but they are so light, you barely notice them now. I should also add I ripped open an incision at 4 weeks, by going on a jet ski (I was 20! :) doctor was NOT happy!) and even that section is very smooth and the scar is very light. Not going to lie, the surgery was pretty rough, the first two weeks were the worst and it took about 4-5 weeks to completely feel back to normal.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I don't know about reductions but I've heard of women losing nipple sensation after breast enlargement.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey @madzyjj168 I have a recommendation for workout bras. I've been from 12/34GG to 8/30FF and one thing that has really helped for me is to have a bra comfortable enough to actually exercise in without being over-conscious of my boobs the whole time. Panache underwired 5010 is my absolute favourite, and the only one I can run in without rubbing. Maybe it might work for you?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't know about reductions but I've heard of women losing nipple sensation after breast enlargement.

This is a very good point. The main reason I couldn't BF was because they ended up completely removing my n*pples (sorry for that mental picture) while doing my reduction. That is not something they normally have to do, but in my case they did. That is where the nerves were cut which made me lose let down for nursing. But even today, I don't have near as much feeling there as I did pre-surgery. So it's certainly something to ask about. If they don't have to remove the n*pple then I have heard that feeling is not lost. If they do, one should plan on losing at least 50% of their feeling there.
  • cayordogfood
    cayordogfood Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    madzyjj168 wrote: »
    Hello, I am 21 now and in serious need for a breast reduction. I have always been big in the chest and I don't have kids. For the past 4 years I have been at a 10J/32J. I have lost approx 12kg from 90 so i am 78kg now and have noticed no difference in my breast size. I can get my band size down to a size 8/30 but not the cup. Going up a band size and down a cup size does not work for me at all. I struggle with exercise because of breathing and back/neck pain issues (sports bras do not particularly help). Any ideas on how to decrease size of breasts and overall exercises to help with weight loss in my heavy condition?
    THANKS!

I'm going to say this someone else's probably said it too I didn't look at the replies but some women do not gain weight in their breast no they wouldn't do like I gain weight in my breasts so if I get heavier my breast size goes up and if I lose thigh weight my breast size goes back down to normal if you get what I'm saying but some women do not gain or lose weight in your breasts you might actually be genetically naturally big breasts and when you get down to your goal weight you'll still have those huge breasts so it's up to you what you really want to do in the end