Is it true that you don't need to exercise to lose weight?

miinanov
miinanov Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
How many of you guys lost weight just by eating within your calories? Would exercising plus dieting be a faster way to lose weight

(I'm currently maintaining my weight)

Replies

• NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    edited March 2017
    Short answer, no. If you excersice and have a deficit then yes you would lose faster. You don't necessarily need to excersice to lose weight as long as your in a defecit.
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    So like if I burn off 500 calories, can I eat back those 500 calories burned right after?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I look at it this way. I'm 250 lbs trying to lose 2 lbs per week. So when I put that into MFP, it says I can eat 1550 calories per day (so my NEAT is 2550). Now, I could do that, or I could set things up so I only lose 1 lb per week and eat 2050 per day, or I can leave it at the 2 lb per week, exercise ~ 500 calories a day and eat 2000.

I prefer to eat 2000 than 1500. I want to lose 2 lbs per week. So exercise makes up the difference.

But no, it isn't necessary.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    miinanov wrote: »
    So like if I burn off 500 calories, can I eat back those 500 calories burned right after?

Unless you are absolutely sure your burning exactly 500 calories I would only eat back half.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

I do. If you think you might be overestimating your burn, don't eat all of them back. (But I usually eat all or most back and it hasn't been a problem.)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member

As others said, it depends on how accurate the 500 is.

I'll, again, use myself as an example. I have a Garmin VivoActive that I use to estimate my calorie burn beyond sedentary (so this mean both activity and exercise). I've compared it to a chest strap for calorie burn on the treadmill and it has always been pretty close. But I only ate back about 75% of what it said for calorie burn. I also lost more than the expected 2 lb per week. Now, it could be that I under estimated my food intake by 250 cals per day (I've lost ~ 2.5 lbs per week this year) or that my watch was actually bang on and I needed to eat them all back (plus some other noise in the counting). I'm taking what my watch says to be true, but only because time, my deficit etc. has shown me that it's pretty close.

So, until you can say to yourself that the way you are getting at the 500 cals is accurate, stick with eating back 50-75% of them.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    I am short, only 5 ft so I am eating at 1200. When I exercise it helps me cause I can eat about half of those calories back and do not have to be stuck eating 1200. Just be careful on how many calories you are estimating you are burning. I have a Garmin Vivosmart watch and I think its pretty close but I eat only 50 to 70 percent back and I lose more than I am aiming for so far by doing this and NOT feeling like I am starving.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    l911jnt wrote: »
    I am short, only 5 ft so I am eating at 1200. When I exercise it helps me cause I can eat about half of those calories back and do not have to be stuck eating 1200. Just be careful on how many calories you are estimating you are burning. I have a Garmin Vivosmart watch and I think its pretty close but I eat only 50 to 70 percent back and I lose more than I am aiming for so far by doing this and NOT feeling like I am starving.

So, this tells you that your Garmin is giving you good numbers. That's important to remember for maintenance - so that you actually eat back all (or 90% of) your exercise calories when you're trying to maintain.

I'll assume for now that you're only losing slightly faster than predicted and that I therefore don't need to caution you about the consequences of losing weight too fast.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member

So, this tells you that your Garmin is giving you good numbers. That's important to remember for maintenance - so that you actually eat back all (or 90% of) your exercise calories when you're trying to maintain.

I'll assume for now that you're only losing slightly faster than predicted and that I therefore don't need to caution you about the consequences of losing weight too fast.[/quote]

yeah, its not much faster. Maybe .2 lbs per 10 or 12 days or so.
  • roycruse73
    roycruse73 Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2017
    You don't need exercise to create a calorie deficit to lose weight but it does mean you can eat a bit more food in a day. (although beware of this as it will also make you feel more hungry)

Also - strength training such as weight lifting or calisthenics will increase your BMR and make you burn more calories (not a huge amount but it will make a difference) It will also stop you losing muscle mass along with the fat which would lower your BMR and it is this that is the main cause of unbreakable plateaus and gaining weight back when coming off of your calorie control for people that eat too little while dieting.

And.... dont forget that exercise will increase your endorphins etc and just make you feel good about your weight loss journey. I find that I'm just as pleased about my increasing fitness levels as I am the scale going down - there's nothing like a new personal best in weightlifting or a faster time on a bike ride or a run etc.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Exercise will lose inches quicker
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    In the sense of "I didn't exercise this week, so I won't lose weight" no, exercise isn't needed. But in the sense that it makes you healthier as you lose weight and that it allows you to eat a lot more while you are losing weight, yes, it is needed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I lost my first ten pounds on diet alone.

I exercise to get stronger and healthier.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Short answer, no. If you excersice and have a deficit then yes you would lose faster. You don't necessarily need to excersice to lose weight as long as your in a defecit.

This is 100% right
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    I lost 10 pounds in 2 months due to diet only. I mean I lift weights, but I don't consider that to be fat loss exercise.

Weight loss is 95% diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    You don't lose "faster". You lose the more if INITIALLY the deficit is higher. That eventually evens itself out though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    The only thing required for weight loss is a calorie deficit. It is that simple--kinda, but not lifting while being in a deficit for an extended period of time increases your risk of putting on body fat in the long term, according to a recent research paper. So if you want to prevent fat gain for when you increase calories again, skipping out on weightlifting is not going to do you any favors. If you are not into lifting heavy, it doesn't really matter. Research finds no difference when volume is equated for.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28078821