weight loss for large breast reduction

Options
2»

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    When I was 271lbs I was a H cup. Now I'm 190lb I'm still an H cup. And yes, my back and neck aches, and I can't wear a normal bra as it cuts into my shoulders and under my breasts. I generally wear one of those stretchy sports bra things, which I'm sure is not enough support but the only thing I can stand having on all day. I would really really like to have surgery to reduce them to a normal size and put them back up where they belong, but a breast reduction here in Australia is over $10,000. I'm not sure about health insurance or medicare - if it was needed for medical reasons.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When I was 271lbs I was a H cup. Now I'm 190lb I'm still an H cup. And yes, my back and neck aches, and I can't wear a normal bra as it cuts into my shoulders and under my breasts. I generally wear one of those stretchy sports bra things, which I'm sure is not enough support but the only thing I can stand having on all day. I would really really like to have surgery to reduce them to a normal size and put them back up where they belong, but a breast reduction here in Australia is over $10,000. I'm not sure about health insurance or medicare - if it was needed for medical reasons.

Check into the insurance aspect. Mine was covered because they took into account I was a decent weight and was clearly still big chested. My surgeon was required to provide pictures to the insurance company as well. They look at the medical aspects of damage being caused (at least they do in the US) as a part of the determination of paying for it or not. The worst they can say to you is "no." And if it's no, that's no different of a place then where you're at right now. My surgery was about $10K in the US in 1991.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As others have said, you won't be able to choose where the weight comes off and with breasts sometimes it's not fat but tissue and glands.

I lost 90lbs back in 2013 and I was a 12J at maintainace. So I feel your pain. Where I live most stores don't even get down to a G. I ended up making my own bras. Which is pretty easy to do. There are stores in the UK that sell really large sizes which i used to buy online (Since I'm from Australia) but it's really iffy as you're sometimes looking at spending $100+ per bra without trying it on. Panache was an amazing brand, gave heaps of support but i found I would still need to wear 2 bras to get enough support when i worked out. It's still better than nothing =D.

When you get to goal you could consider breast reduction surgery. Sadly it's not as cheap as getting implants but it will help with back problems. I've started a "money jar" for my surgery and once I've maintained for a year i'll go ahead with it. Hoping to get down to a DD which will mean lots of skin will be removed and I will end up with "lollipop" scars at age 26. That's probably the only downside but my partner has told me the scars won't matter so long as I'm happy =D

Good luck with your journey! =)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Don't be tempted by surgery unless you're at your healthy weight and the problem still exists.
    This.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Check into the insurance aspect. Mine was covered because they took into account I was a decent weight and was clearly still big chested. My surgeon was required to provide pictures to the insurance company as well. They look at the medical aspects of damage being caused (at least they do in the US) as a part of the determination of paying for it or not. The worst they can say to you is "no." And if it's no, that's no different of a place then where you're at right now. My surgery was about $10K in the US in 1991.

My reduction was covered by insurance since it was causing back issues. I'm really happy I had it done. Even after losing 125+ pounds I was still a J cup and I was miserable (I'm 5'1 (almost) and maintain at around 130). I didn't lose any sensation and the scars are barely visible, kind of like cat scratches. I went down to a C cup and could not be happier.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    My reduction was also covered by insurance and I wasn't that big. Went from an F to a C. I gained weight after and bumped back up to a DD, but have since lost back to a C. The recovery wasn't too bad for me, two weeks taped up and stiff, but good after that. The scars on my breasts are unnoticeable, but the ones on the side require a wider band bikini to cover. Small price to pay for such a drastic improvement in quality of life.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    The thing that scares me the most is the online photos where the shape isn't quite right. Is that as common as it seems?
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    The thing that scares me the most is the online photos where the shape isn't quite right. Is that as common as it seems?

I think this really comes down to the skill of the surgeon. When I had mine done I had the surgeon show me TONS of his work (before and afters). With the internet now you can do online searches for people happy/unhappy with someone's work specifically. So you definitely want to do your research on the surgeon doing the work because not all are equal for sure. I went from a 36 F/G to a large B/small C and my shape was perfect. And it really takes several months for them to round out after surgery too. The tissue "readjusts" and things get rounder/more shapely as you heal. I gained one cup size after gaining weight and even then I gained evenly. Some of the shape thing might be person specific too. A surgeon doesn't have the ability to "make" tissue resettle (round out) where you want it. Your body is going to settle where it wants to.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Im a G cup. I am going to have surgery after I've lost the weight. My back hurts and my boobs look too big for my frame. I hate it. My insurance wont cover it [I have Medicare, it's crap], so I am getting it done at a teaching hospital for $1,600 which is cheap compared to a private practice. I don't mind, because the hospital does good work and has a whole plastic surgery center/wing.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

Like @ronjsteele1 said, this is why it is important to choose a good surgeon. I also looked at a lot of before and afters, and mine took some time (maybe 3 months?) to settle into their "shape". Now, unless you see my scars, my breasts look like a typically shaped natural DD breast.

Also, regarding sensation, I also had my nipples completely removed with the "anchor" incision. I did lose a little bit of nipple sensation (not enough to really even notice). However, my "underboob" (area below the nipples near my rib cage) is basically numb. I can pinch the skin super hard and not feel it. I can feel the sensation of something touching me, but that's about it.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know someone contemplating breast surgery. Even though now you are not considering breast surgery, every time you go to the doctor for whatever reason, mention your breasts and how hard it is to exercise, backaches, lines on your shoulders from the bras. Then make sure your doctor documents it every time you are there. You possibly may need this to get approved by insurance. Good luck and maybe wearing a double bra might help like someone posted above.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks so much for the guidance on shaping. It is good to know how much importance to place on the selection of a surgeon. I'd rather still be big, or spend a lot more if needed, than end up misshapen.

I used to wear double bras as well, but not since finding the Enell bra. I have a Panache one as well, which looks nicer, but doesn't hold me well enough for high impact. The Enell is the only one that works well enough for me. It actually has made me less certain that I need the surgery.