Helmets are your friend

Options

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Reading this entire thread, I get the idea that wearing helmets isn't what we really need here. Instead, we need cars to stop hitting us.

It is probably a good idea to have a helmet on. A lot of unforeseen things could happen even trail riding. Flat tire, stick in the spokes, deer, or other animal jumping out. Accidents happen.

It's a two way thing. Yes, if you are in an accident, a helmet is likely to protect you. However, wearing a helmet may make you more likely to be in an accident.

Yep true.
    You get treated differently when you dress "like a pro cyclist" - somehow it dehumanises you. I'm noticing less interaction recently as I've just upgraded to a helmet with visor. Less face on view so therefore I'm a cyclist not a person - upside is less children getting scared and having nightmares of course.... :)

And also people in general when they feel safer take more risks.
    A bit like when Volvo started really pushing how safe their cars were - it became folklore in the motorcyclist community to watch out for them as if you don't fear an accident you simply don't do as much to avoid one.
    If you really wanted people to drive more carefully then a spike in the centre of the steering wheel would be more effective than an airbag.
    On the cyclist and motorcyclist side people who have accidents wearing a helmet tend to get less head injuries but the speeds they have accidents at is often higher than those that ride without one.

I ditched the snap on visor, so visibility was restored.

It's just pure conjecture that wearing a helmet 'dehumanizes' the rider and makes them more of a target to drivers. If that even were a thing, bike shorts and the jersey would flip the switch as well.

It's also bad logic that people will take greater risks just because they wear a helmet, unless you are comparing an evening 5mph ride around their cul-de-sac vs someone having the courage to bike commute because they have a helmet. I would love to see your reference for this one.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Reading this entire thread, I get the idea that wearing helmets isn't what we really need here. Instead, we need cars to stop hitting us.

It is probably a good idea to have a helmet on. A lot of unforeseen things could happen even trail riding. Flat tire, stick in the spokes, deer, or other animal jumping out. Accidents happen.

It's a two way thing. Yes, if you are in an accident, a helmet is likely to protect you. However, wearing a helmet may make you more likely to be in an accident.

Yep true.
    You get treated differently when you dress "like a pro cyclist" - somehow it dehumanises you. I'm noticing less interaction recently as I've just upgraded to a helmet with visor. Less face on view so therefore I'm a cyclist not a person - upside is less children getting scared and having nightmares of course.... :)

A bit like when Volvo started really pushing how safe their cars were - it became folklore in the motorcyclist community to watch out for them as if you don't fear an accident you simply don't do as much to avoid one.
    If you really wanted people to drive more carefully then a spike in the centre of the steering wheel would be more effective than an airbag.
    On the cyclist and motorcyclist side people who have accidents wearing a helmet tend to get less head injuries but the speeds they have accidents at is often higher than those that ride without one.

It's just pure conjecture that wearing a helmet 'dehumanizes' the rider and makes them more of a target to drivers. If that even were a thing, bike shorts and the jersey would flip the switch as well.

It's also bad logic that people will take greater risks just because they wear a helmet, unless you are comparing an evening 5mph ride around their cul-de-sac vs someone having the courage to bike commute because they have a helmet. I would love to see your reference for this one.

Agreed! Just because I have a helmet on or wear a seat belt or have an airbag, doesn't mean having an accident is somehow not so bad and I'm gonna be less careful. I don't want to be in an accident, period. Those safety features are still no guarantee you won't be seriously injured or killed. Helmet or not, it's gonna hurt.

And LOL that a helmet with a visor makes drivers care less about hitting you. That's just silly.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eh. The accident I witnessed the bicycle rider wasn't wearing a helmet and the accident was 100% his fault. For the few seconds that I saw the motorcycle rider with the helmet he seemed to be driving appropriately for the conditions. Not always the non-bicycle fault and not always the one in the helmet being reckless.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Perhaps you can elaborate?

My helmets don't interfere with my visibility or hearing, and they improve my visibility
    Just curious tiny_clanger, how does it make you more likely to be in an accident wearing a helmet? I am not trying to be a jerk about this, I would really like to be educated about your reasoning for this. I realize that there may be a vision issue with certain types of helmets, but the design of them has greatly improved over the years so vision is better with a proper fitting helmet.

If you take a look at the article I linked to it references the work to demonstrate the association.

Riders have greater risk appetite, and cagers are less willing to give concessions to those that they see as experienced.

Personally one thing that I've found that makes a huge difference is making eye contact with drivers, something I learned when I was doing high speed driving training. Eye contact generates a personal link that improves the likelihood of being treated reasonably.

Appreciating that it's an N=1 situation, but I've noticed distinctly different driver behaviour depending on what bike I'm on. In cycling kit on a road bike I'll have a very different experience than when I'm wearing a suit on a commuting folding bike. On the folder I've also done the same ride both with and without a helmet, and seen very different approaches from drivers.
  • Sedu1906
    Sedu1906 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Crashed my bike a few years back. Broken rib, broken thumb, dislocated shoulder, nasty road rash. No one saw the accident, but people heard the sound of my helmet hitting the ground. Pretty sure I'd be dead or quite different had it not been for my helmet.

I don't ride with people who don't wear a helmet.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yep true.

Nope - it's not conjecture. It's well known human psychology. Feel free to do your own research.
    I was heavily involved in advanced motorcycle training (training riders and riding instructors) and the things I wrote are well known and understood.

Someone riding a motorbike in street clothes without a helmet rides more carefully because they know crashing will hurt. Downside is of course if they have an accident it's more likely to result in worse injury.
    Feel safer because you are wearing a £500 helmet and airbag equipped racing leathers and instead of riding the same human nature tends (not 100% of course) to lead to people riding faster taking more risks.

Wear full leathers and full face helmet (or a cyclist wearing team riding kit, helmet and wraparound glasses) and you are no longer a person you are a "power ranger" or a "biker" or you get the phrase "you bikers/cyclists are all the same" thrown at you. Eye to eye contact makes a huge difference in how people relate to each other.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

My helmets don't interfere with my visibility or hearing, and they improve my visibility
    Just curious tiny_clanger, how does it make you more likely to be in an accident wearing a helmet? I am not trying to be a jerk about this, I would really like to be educated about your reasoning for this. I realize that there may be a vision issue with certain types of helmets, but the design of them has greatly improved over the years so vision is better with a proper fitting helmet.

If you take a look at the article I linked to it references the work to demonstrate the association.

Riders have greater risk appetite, and cagers are less willing to give concessions to those that they see as experienced.

Personally one thing that I've found that makes a huge difference is making eye contact with drivers, something I learned when I was doing high speed driving training. Eye contact generates a personal link that improves the likelihood of being treated reasonably.

Appreciating that it's an N=1 situation, but I've noticed distinctly different driver behaviour depending on what bike I'm on. In cycling kit on a road bike I'll have a very different experience than when I'm wearing a suit on a commuting folding bike. On the folder I've also done the same ride both with and without a helmet, and seen very different approaches from drivers.

I have no issue sharing the roadways with pedestrians, bikers etc. When driving, and there is not oncoming traffic, I will move over to give more room, and I appreciate when pedestrians and bikers do the same. Courtesy is a two way street, and while I do not bike, I do walk, on roads that have a 55 mph speed limit, and I always move as far over as possible when meeting traffic. Frankly I don't notice what a biker is wearing. Frequently, bikers will ride two, or more abreast, and make no effort to move to single file, let alone get over on the shoulder, biking in the traffic lane when there is space to move over. To me, that is sheer lunacy on bikers part. With all the crazy drivers, everyone (bikers and vehicles) need to keep this in mind. I absolutely do not condone road rage, but people have to use common sense, and a motorized vehicle vs: a bicycle or pedestrian, stand very little chance of coming out on the best end of a confrontation between the two. I know that everyone has a right to be on public roads, but, common sense needs to prevail, and every little thing that may help (ie: helmet) shows some smart personal responsibility.

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I have no issue sharing the roadways with pedestrians, bikers etc. When driving, and there is not oncoming traffic, I will move over to give more room, and I appreciate when pedestrians and bikers do the same. Courtesy is a two way street, and while I do not bike, I do walk, on roads that have a 55 mph speed limit, and I always move as far over as possible when meeting traffic. Frankly I don't notice what a biker is wearing. Frequently, bikers will ride two, or more abreast, and make no effort to move to single file, let alone get over on the shoulder, biking in the traffic lane when there is space to move over. To me, that is sheer lunacy on bikers part. With all the crazy drivers, everyone (bikers and vehicles) need to keep this in mind. I absolutely do not condone road rage, but people have to use common sense, and a motorized vehicle vs: a bicycle or pedestrian, stand very little chance of coming out on the best end of a confrontation between the two. I know that everyone has a right to be on public roads, but, common sense needs to prevail, and every little thing that may help (ie: helmet) shows some smart personal responsibility.

Yes, but a car driver cannot see the road obstacles that a bicycle must deal with - ditches, potholes, gravel all keep a cyclist from getting as far over as s/he otherwise might.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Last year I came upon an accident scene where a guy hit a bump and crashed his bike and was not wearing a helmet. He was bleeding from his head and when he regained consciousness he couldn't remember anything. I waited with him till the ambulance came, I'm sure he ended up ok but I bet he doesn't forget to wear his helmet ever again.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1012.html

That's quite an interesting site about use of cycling helmets. Seems that, as previously mentioned in this thread, They don't have any real impact on reducing fatalities because most cycling fatalities involve multiple injuries meaning death would have occurred with or without a helmet.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »

Yes, but a car driver cannot see the road obstacles that a bicycle must deal with - ditches, potholes, gravel all keep a cyclist from getting as far over as s/he otherwise might.

Agreed.
    But, not down the middle of the lane just to make a point that we have to share the road, this happens all the time where I live.
    And there is no reason to ride 2 or more bikes abreast when sharing the road with vehicles that are moving 55mph (or faster) without getting over in the lane (single file) to allow the faster vehicles to pass.

And please note what I said in my other post:

Frequently, bikers will ride two, or more abreast, and make no effort to move to single file, let alone get over on the shoulder, biking in the traffic lane when there is space to move over
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what comes out of the woodwork when you simply tell a story about a helmet saving a life...
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what comes out of the woodwork when you simply tell a story about a helmet saving a life...

Yes, you popped the cork on a lot of pent up frustration between cyclists and drivers!
    I'm a cyclist, I ride with care and have been treated well by cars. However, I've also come across cyclists who seem to intentionally make it hard/impossible for cars to pass them. Bloody anoying
  • matt2673
    matt2673 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just a friendly reminder that helmets save lives! My father-in-law wrecked his bicycle on Sunday. He was riding alone, must have hit a pothole and ate concrete. We went over the handlebars and blacked out. He doesn't remember the accident or the few hours after. His helmet was completely cracked and he has some road rash on his face, all indicating that he landed on his head. Without that helmet, he would not be with us right now. I like him. He takes us out for fabulous sushi dinners and treats me like a daughter. I want him around.

I for one, look like a total dingus in a helmet.
    b4vt4hq84k8d.jpg
    But my man still thinks I'm hot.

Be safe out there!

PS- The bike is okay

Absolutely. In fact, I'm going to buy the brain bucket variety made by Bell for city cycling.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    @Sharon_C Thank you for your story, and I'm so sorry that you have to be an example. My heart goes out to both of you.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hear Hear!

I was stubborn and didn't get a helmet for a long time. Weird because I never ride without a helmet on a motorcycle. First time out riding on a new clay trail in VA with a lid I ran into a broken branch which cracked the helmet - so lesson learned.

I've been hit by a vehicle 3 times (all in Florida) - two side swiped when a car veered over and one T-bone. All three times no ticket was issued to the driver and one even had the nerve to send me a bill to repair the damage to his car.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Yep true.

Pretty sure it does. I hang out on another forum, non-fitness related, and it is very clear that many people feel quite differently about "lycra-clad" cyclists and people obviously cycling to work. The former are seen as interlopers who should *kitten* off and do their training somewhere else and stop getting in the way of people who have places to go, and the commuters are seen as fellow road-users.

To what extent these feelings affect actual on-road behaviour, I don't know. One man has tried to investigate it, but it wasn't hugely conclusive:
    Dr Ian Walker is a senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Bath, and a professional interest in traffic and transport psychology led him to conduct his own experiment into the effectiveness of cycling kit.

Over several months, one cyclist wore seven different outfits on his daily 50km commute between Berkshire and outer London. Using an ultrasonic distance sensor he recorded how much space passing motorists gave him, logging data from 5,690 vehicles. The outfits ranged from racing kit to a vest with ‘novice cyclist’ printed on the back. Some of the outfits included high-visibility jackets and vests, while another bore the legend ‘POLICE’, along with the slogans ‘move over’ and ‘camera cyclist’. Finally, for comparison, one similar high-vis jacket bore the word ‘POLITE’.

One letter made a big difference. Walker’s results found that most of the different outfits had virtually no impact on how close the motorists got, bar one. Only the mock-up police jersey encouraged motorists to give the cyclist a wider berth.

‘It’s striking that driver behaviour to POLICE was so different to POLITE given the key word differed by just
    one letter,’ Walker says. ‘Not only was passing much closer on average with POLITE, but subjectively the rider reported feeling much more at risk, and encountered overt acts of aggression from several drivers.

‘Based on the data, it’s unlikely that cycling outfits could ever provide a sustainable solution to rider safety,’ Walker says. ‘The optimum solution to the very closest overtakes will not lie with cyclists themselves, and instead we should look to changes in infrastructure, education or the law to prevent drivers getting dangerously close when overtaking cyclists.’

It’s worth thinking about what actually causes accidents, Walker adds. ‘There are only three possible reasons a motorist could hit a cyclist: 1 Failure to spot the cyclist; 2 Saw the cyclist but misjudged the manoeuvre; 3 Deliberate aggression. In the best of all possible worlds, hi-viz could only ever address the first. The fact it doesn’t seem to fix things suggests that most collisions happen for reason number two.’[/quote]
    Source
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Yes, you popped the cork on a lot of pent up frustration between cyclists and drivers!
    I'm a cyclist, I ride with care and have been treated well by cars. However, I've also come across cyclists who seem to intentionally make it hard/impossible for cars to pass them. Bloody anoying

It isn't just cyclists and drivers. I'm a driver, not a cyclist... and I drive a LOT of miles (around 30K annually); but I'm also a runner. I prefer trails not only for the scenery, but also because I've encountered drivers on several occasions who felt it was acceptable to speed up and save a second or 2 rather than give me the right of way as I cross intersections. This is starting to become a real pattern of idiot drivers... I'll be running along coming up to an intersection, a driver will see me, and will speed up or continue from their stop sign as I'm crossing just because they don't want to wait an extra second to let me go past them.

And then there are the cases of cyclists in my state getting killed by drivers who are not even watching the road right in front of them (one case I already elaborated on, another where the driver was turned around attending to a child in the back seat while driving... as if that is acceptable), yet my neighbors and law enforcement / district attorneys seem to think this is just fine behavior by drivers.

Anyway, as a non-cyclist who drives a lot of miles, I must say I totally understand... drivers are idiots! And I'm not saying I'm perfect... I've made a few stupid errors myself while driving, but I'm not going around speeding up to try to beat a runner through an intersection (forcing the runner to slow down or stop to avoid getting hit) and I'm not just driving through a cyclist right in front of me on the highway. My mistakes are more tame than that... like a case in CO in 2014 where 2 pedestrians had begun across a cross walk (not in traveled portion of road yet, but off the curb and going through street side angled parking area... of course no parking in the cross walk, but on either side), and I didn't see them until it was too late to stop. Had they been 14 feet further along on their path, that would have been a problem... though it is also more likely I would have seen them since they would not have been between parked cars, but that isn't the point. There was no cop around and I didn't get "caught," but I still think about how I screwed up as a driver in that instance. Still, that doesn't compare to what I see sometimes when running when drivers definitely see me and speed up in order to try to 'race' past me to the intersection, causing me to suddenly stop to avoid being hit.