Protein powder/bars recommendations - U.K.

Options

Replies

• cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Aldi sell these for 49p, in three different flavours. y12fslcbofca.jpg

More of a carb bar with a bit of protein, I prefer my 'protein' bars to contain mostly protein and fiber, not 'carbs'

• Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what's the difference between impact whey protein and impact whey isolate?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    Aldi sell these for 49p, in three different flavours. y12fslcbofca.jpg

More of a carb bar with a bit of protein, I prefer my 'protein' bars to contain mostly protein and fiber, not 'carbs'
    Fair enough. Good thing I thought to append a screenshot of the database entry, before I raised the OP's hopes stratospherically and sent the OP haring off to Aldi then. ;)
  • roycruse73
    roycruse73 Posts: 53 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For protein powder "My Protein" "Impact Diet Whey" is awesome for weight loss as contains some extra ingredients to kick start your day - I have one for breakfast every weekday and after every workout. https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-diet-whey/10530657.html

For bars I don't think you can beat "Grenade" "Carb Killa" for macros and taste... buy a box at a time from amazon to keep the price down https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grenade-Carb-Killa-High-Protein/dp/B00UL4M22Y
    I like the white chocolate mocha, peanut nutter, fudge brownie and dark chocolate mint ones best.

Also Quest bars are pretty similar quality but a bit more expensive.
  • roycruse73
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what's the difference between impact whey protein and impact whey isolate?

The isolate is exactly as the name suggests the whey protein "isolated" so less other additives to bulk it out. Useful if your trying to get only the calories from the protein and very little else.

The standard whey has more other ingredients and higher fat and carbs etc.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    roycruse73 wrote: »

The isolate is exactly as the name suggests the whey protein "isolated" so less other additives to bulk it out. Useful if your trying to get only the calories from the protein and very little else.

The standard whey has more other ingredients and higher fat and carbs etc.

Thanks. And what's the difference between the isolate and the impact diet?
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    I use myprotein and they've just brought out a range aimed at women wanting to lose weight... the same awesome punch of protein but half the calories. I've just had the sample box and will be switching to this new type when I'm done with my current batch.

The chocolate flavour and toasted marshmallow is really nice, I have it with almond milk :)

Top tip, stay away from the chocolate truffle protein dessert it looks like pva glue and tastes absolutely vile! Banana flavour is good though!

I also get the skinny hot chocolate and have a mug each night :)

Which range is posted at women? Can't seem to find it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Grenade Carb Killa bars are IMHO the best tasting protein bars available.

Nutritionally (Fudge Brownie - My current favourite):

60g bar is 215cals, P23.3g C13.6g, F8g

If only they weren't so expensive (I sometimes manage to get them a £20 per box of 12)
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    MyProtein is good value but contains alot of fillers, which is why its cheap, it also doesnt mix very well, so if you stack supplements all in the same shake, it gets lumpy.

By fa the best protein powder ive used, is MusclePharm Combat, great flavour, mixes well, contains 5 different types of protein isolate for different effects, also contains BCAA's and glutamine, all in one hit.

Where do you buy this from?
  • roycruse73
    Options
    If only they weren't so expensive (I sometimes manage to get them a £20 per box of 12)

Amazon on the link above £18.99 free delivery - £1.58 per bar - still expensive but cheaper than £2.50 each in shops
  • roycruse73
    Options
    Thanks. And what's the difference between the isolate and the impact diet?

Impact diet whey has additives to help weight loss such as green tea extract and glutamine etc...

agree with Rob above that it does mix pretty lumpy... doesnt bother me though.
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Grenade Carb Killa White Chocolate Mocha bars on Amazon?
    I love anything with coffee in it, but don't like white chocolate as I find it too sweet.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    The one I use is The 100% Whey
    UT8KXGcXppbXXagOFbXQ.jpg

I bought it first when I was over in the UK. It's not the cheapest one you can get but it's one of the best ones. I just walked into the next supplement store and there it was and man was I glad cause I didn't know any of the other brands but that one is used by some of the best athletes I know.

In terms of quality, it fails in comparison to MYProtein (a UK based company). At least according to the independent analysis done by www.labdoor.com
  • Zara_Pi
    Options
    There's so many to choose from. I just want something that's the most pure and with the least amount of additives and fillers.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Robbo_79 wrote: »
    MyProtein is good value but contains alot of fillers, which is why its cheap, it also doesnt mix very well, so if you stack supplements all in the same shake, it gets lumpy.

By fa the best protein powder ive used, is MusclePharm Combat, great flavour, mixes well, contains 5 different types of protein isolate for different effects, also contains BCAA's and glutamine, all in one hit.

Where are the fillers?

Impact whey protein... £34 for 2.5kg (currently £27)

83g of protein per 100g

Banana Flavour: Whey Protein Concentrate (Milk) (96%), Flavouring, Colour (Curcumin), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin), Sweetener (Sucralose)

Musclepharm combat £40 for 1.8kg

74.63g of protein per 100g

Micro Filtered Whey Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydroslate), Micellar Casein, Egg Albumen, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine;
    L-Alanine, Lysine, L-Arginine, Glycine, Histidine, Tyrosine, Cystine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Aspartic Acid, Threonine, Tryptophan, Digestive Enzyme Blend

It should all be noted that any whey protein will contain isoleucine, leucine and valine and the other 7 essential amino acids, as it's protein. So advertising BCAA in your whey protein is really added BCAA that's not required in a protein rich diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There's so many to choose from. I just want something that's the most pure and with the least amount of additives and fillers.

Then go with MyProtein.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
  • Zara_Pi
    edited March 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Then go with MyProtein.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

IMPACT WHEY ISOLATE
    Unflavoured: Whey Protein Isolate (Milk) (100%), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin)

This seems to be the purest one offered. Thinking to go with that.

How can you use this? Do you just mix it with cold milk?