Options
12346»

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MrsEAPM wrote: »
    As an obese runner training for a 10K, I don't entirely agree with the posts that essentially say "running is not for obese people". What worked for me was to:
    -Go slow: you shouldn't be out of breath after running an interval, even if it's 1 minute. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (if that means that your running pace is the same as your walking pace, so be it. You will become faster in time). Use a C25K app, which will help you pace your run. I started too fast and ended up with shin splints twice.
    -Buy the best running shoes you can afford and buy them at a running store (running stores usually do a gait analysis, which is very helpful).
    -Realize that it takes time for your body to get used to running. Your body needs to get used to the running movements and the difference in breathing patterns, that's why it's so important to build up your runs slowly.

I didn't like running when I just started (too slow, out of breath, felt akward), but it got a lot better and now I'm hooked (OK, the first km of almost every run is a *kitten*).

Good luck!

As one of those people saying that "running isn't for obese people" let me remind people that for every pound a person carries it is the equivalent of four pounds being carried by the knees when running. For a 175lb person, that is already 700 pounds being carried by the knees. But for a 300lb person that is 1,200 pounds or an additional 500 pounds. That's like a really fat man sitting in your lap. Our bones weren't designed to handle that kind of abuse.

I strongly disagree with you. I know several people that are technically obese that run marathons. Not all runners are skinny, toned fitness models. It is harder to run when you are heavier because you are carrying more weight, and yes, it puts more strain on your joints. But in the same way that a non-obese person can learn to run with a 40 pack on their back, if you progress slowly and give your joints and muscles time to adapt they will. Everyone can run, regardless of their weight.

Also, OP is obviously here to lose weight so there's no need for all the "fat" commentary. It's just rude and not helpful.

There is a big difference between a 40 pound pack and 100 pounds of fat. With a 40 pound pack the joints only have to handle 160 additional pounds of force when you run. I have no doubt that you can find a person who is fat and has run a marathon, but they aren't taking their sport very seriously or they wouldn't be fat and the fact that they ran a marathon doesn't prove that they didn't damage their knees in the process. But you agree that running is hard on the joints of an obese person, so what you seem to be disagreeing with is whether a person should be willing to subject their body to that damage. Why should they? If their aim is to injure themselves then why don't we just encourage them to stay fat? It would be much easier. But if the goal is for people to be healthy then running isn't for obese people.

Not to derail the OP but I also take issue with the bolded but for a different reason than @crooked_left_hook . I basically only do marathon+ lengths at this point (considering doing more speedwork in winter 2018 to make short distance placing a priority next season) and the number of very seriously overweight marathoners and ultra runners I know out numbers the very lean ones pretty significantly. These people are going hard at training programs, I see them on trail every weekend and they go broke on race registrations just as fast as I do. I would say they take the sport very seriously. Being insufficiently aware of the function of energy balance, as most of us once were before finding MFP, does not make one less serious of an athlete imo.

I do agree that people with ortho concerns should consult with a sports medicine professional before starting a high impact activity such as running to assess your risk factors. I have had ortho problems my whole life so I had the advantage of being under the supervision of an ortho surgeon already when I started running. I was certainly never discouraged from the practice by any of the professionals on my team on the basis of "too fat to run" though and my knees are basically held together with duct tape and happy thoughts.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with @JessicaMcB about checking with a doctor before starting running, particularly if you are prone to joint pain. I'm also frequently at the Orthopedist or Physical Therapist and surprisingly, even with my joint disease, the consensus is that the problems I do have with my knees and hips have nothing to do with my running and I have not been discouraged from continuing to do so.

And to her point, ANYONE that can run a marathon takes their sport seriously regardless of their weight. Running that distance is no joke, takes dedicated training, and I have nothing but respect for anyone who has the mental stamina to do it.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm okay running on a treadmill or elliptical, but I hate it in real life. I find it boring. I do enjoy walking and biking. Just not running. It's not for everyone.

I'm not obese and it's not about it being painful in my case. It's more that . . . I am denied the pleasure of leisurely observing my surroundings, as I would if I were walking, yet I am going slow enough that it seems to take an ETERNITY to get anywhere (compared to biking). "There's the mailbox on the corner . . . yep . . . getting closer . . . yep . . . half a block to go . . . god above why is this taking so long . . . a quarter of the block to go . . ." Imagine your brain doing that the entire time. The treadmill / elliptical is different since there aren't visual markers and thus I don't get discouraged that I'm going "too slow."
  • natasha_hal1
    natasha_hal1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was obese myself and hated running because it was so taxing on my body. However, I was set on being able to run, so I started out small. I started by doing 1 minute intervals for two miles. For instance, I would jog for a minute and then rest for a minute. I would continue this cycle until I did two miles worth. It definitely helped to ease me into running! As you get more fit, you can vary this by doing it for a longer distance, less rest time or alternating between jog/sprint. I am super proud to say that I can now jog two miles straight and not feel like dying! Also, like others have said, definitely run outside. It will be more enjoyable. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    As an obese runner training for a 10K, I don't entirely agree with the posts that essentially say "running is not for obese people". What worked for me was to:
    -Go slow: you shouldn't be out of breath after running an interval, even if it's 1 minute. You should be able to hold a conversation while running (if that means that your running pace is the same as your walking pace, so be it. You will become faster in time). Use a C25K app, which will help you pace your run. I started too fast and ended up with shin splints twice.
    -Buy the best running shoes you can afford and buy them at a running store (running stores usually do a gait analysis, which is very helpful).
    -Realize that it takes time for your body to get used to running. Your body needs to get used to the running movements and the difference in breathing patterns, that's why it's so important to build up your runs slowly.

I didn't like running when I just started (too slow, out of breath, felt akward), but it got a lot better and now I'm hooked (OK, the first km of almost every run is a *kitten*).

Good luck!

As one of those people saying that "running isn't for obese people" let me remind people that for every pound a person carries it is the equivalent of four pounds being carried by the knees when running. For a 175lb person, that is already 700 pounds being carried by the knees. But for a 300lb person that is 1,200 pounds or an additional 500 pounds. That's like a really fat man sitting in your lap. Our bones weren't designed to handle that kind of abuse.

I strongly disagree with you. I know several people that are technically obese that run marathons. Not all runners are skinny, toned fitness models. It is harder to run when you are heavier because you are carrying more weight, and yes, it puts more strain on your joints. But in the same way that a non-obese person can learn to run with a 40 pack on their back, if you progress slowly and give your joints and muscles time to adapt they will. Everyone can run, regardless of their weight.

Also, OP is obviously here to lose weight so there's no need for all the "fat" commentary. It's just rude and not helpful.

There is a big difference between a 40 pound pack and 100 pounds of fat. With a 40 pound pack the joints only have to handle 160 additional pounds of force when you run. I have no doubt that you can find a person who is fat and has run a marathon, but they aren't taking their sport very seriously or they wouldn't be fat and the fact that they ran a marathon doesn't prove that they didn't damage their knees in the process. But you agree that running is hard on the joints of an obese person, so what you seem to be disagreeing with is whether a person should be willing to subject their body to that damage. Why should they? If their aim is to injure themselves then why don't we just encourage them to stay fat? It would be much easier. But if the goal is for people to be healthy then running isn't for obese people.

Not to derail the OP but I also take issue with the bolded but for a different reason than @crooked_left_hook . I basically only do marathon+ lengths at this point (considering doing more speedwork in winter 2018 to make short distance placing a priority next season) and the number of very seriously overweight marathoners and ultra runners I know out numbers the very lean ones pretty significantly. These people are going hard at training programs, I see them on trail every weekend and they go broke on race registrations just as fast as I do. I would say they take the sport very seriously. Being insufficiently aware of the function of energy balance, as most of us once were before finding MFP, does not make one less serious of an athlete imo.

I do agree that people with ortho concerns should consult with a sports medicine professional before starting a high impact activity such as running to assess your risk factors. I have had ortho problems my whole life so I had the advantage of being under the supervision of an ortho surgeon already when I started running. I was certainly never discouraged from the practice by any of the professionals on my team on the basis of "too fat to run" though and my knees are basically held together with duct tape and happy thoughts.

I see plenty of people who spend a lot of money on football jerseys but that doesn't mean they have a chance of playing in the Superbowl. Spending a lot of money makes you a fan, not a serious athlete. It's your performance that shows how serious you are at your sport. The more serious you are the less you have to pay to play, not the other way around.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I listen to music when I run. I usually think over problems or decisions I need to make as I do. It's a good chance to get some thinking done without interruption.

As many others said, if you really hate running then do something else...walking hills, biking, jump roping, burpees, join a volleyball league, pilates, whatever. While it is great exercise, there is nothing special about running. Many people do it mainly because you can do it just about anywhere and all you really need to start is a decent pair of shoes.

I don't love running, but I went from hating it to usually not minding it and occasionally enjoying it. I started when I was at my heaviest (I lost 100 pounds). It is hard to run when obese...and I agree it was not enjoyable at all because even a short run is very difficult when that out of shape. The key for me was to build up gradually (a mix of running with some walking breaks to recover, gradually increasing time) and then...this was the magic formula for me...focus on interval training instead of very long steady runs. Trying to run for 30 to 45 minutes just seemed like an eternity to me...even though fit enough to do so. But doing a 15 minute run as a warm-up (10 minutes is probably enough) followed by a series of intervals and a short cool-down makes the time go much faster. If you are only running for short sprints, the obsession with the clock disappears. Besides, I seem to get much better results with intervals and my fitness level got noticeably better very quickly when I started them. A couple of interval workouts per week work wonders for fitness, weight, and overall health.

I view running as something to support the activity I truly love...hiking. I usually only hike once a week since it requires driving to one of the nearby mountain ranges, so I run on a few other days to make sure I am prepared for strenuous hikes with significant elevation changes. But if I lived within walking distance of trails I liked, I would hike more and run less. So pick something that is convenient for you to do so that excuses won't get in the way. If running just doesn't work for you...pick something else, or several something else's to rotate. But whatever you choose...build up gradually. Doing too much at the start is a good way to get injured, whatever you are doing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

Good luck!

I see plenty of people who spend a lot of money on football jerseys but that doesn't mean they have a chance of playing in the Superbowl. Spending a lot of money makes you a fan, not a serious athlete. It's your performance that shows how serious you are at your sport. The more serious you are the less you have to pay to play, not the other way around.

Really? Sports jerseys vs. equipment and entrance fees?

I'm obese. I'm also signed up for a 5K. I've also spent money on running shoes and other clothes. Not the same as spending money on Jet's hockey jerseys. Not even close.

SMH
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Curious as to where you got these statistics.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Not a fan but, I do it. Always glad when it is over.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This thread got me looking up speedwalking and techniques to pick up my pace. To save my joints, I'm going to give it a try until I've dropped more weight. Olympic level walkers can do 8mph, which is darn fast IMHO.

That some obese people make running work for them isn't the same as saying it's a smart exercise for their joints. I'm going to wait till I'm approaching 'overweight' BMI before I risk damage to my joints.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to run?

I tried it once. Signed up for a 5k and got "ready" for it (not training or anything). I can run 5k. Still, 2 minutes into the race I turned to my friend and said "you know what? I'm never running again".

I was fat. That was years ago. I never ran again and now I'm fit.

Find something you like, or better yet LOVE. For me it was powerlifting.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    I'm okay running on a treadmill or elliptical, but I hate it in real life. I find it boring. I do enjoy walking and biking. Just not running. It's not for everyone.

I'm not obese and it's not about it being painful in my case. It's more that . . . I am denied the pleasure of leisurely observing my surroundings, as I would if I were walking, yet I am going slow enough that it seems to take an ETERNITY to get anywhere (compared to biking). "There's the mailbox on the corner . . . yep . . . getting closer . . . yep . . . half a block to go . . . god above why is this taking so long . . . a quarter of the block to go . . ." Imagine your brain doing that the entire time. The treadmill / elliptical is different since there aren't visual markers and thus I don't get discouraged that I'm going "too slow."

I love this description, and running definitely feels that way sometimes :) Ironically, this is kind of similar to how I feel about weightlifting. Pick something up, put it down, pick it up, put it down, pick it up, put it down, pick it up, put it down, repeat until your so bored that you stop, sit down, and start shopping for sandals on your phone when it's 30 degrees out and you can't wear them for another 4 months...I feel like I need to run...

We've each got our thing that makes us tick.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hear ya. I ran for 3 years regularly, loved it, was good at it, then got injured, took a 6 month break - after that, had the hardest time getting back to it. Couldn't stand more than 1 mile. Got frustrated at the strenuous effort and slow progress. Took me 2 months to get back to loving it again.

A big of psychology theory here: one thing I always remind myself is the seminal theory of "Flow" by the famous psychologist Csikszentmihalyi. To reach a state of flow - that "zone" where you a fully immersed and enjoying an activity - one needs to reach a certain balance of "skill" and "challenge". when skill > challenge, one gets bored; when challenge > skill, one gets frustrated and anxious. Either way, you are not enjoying the activity

screen-shot-2013-04-15-at-1-52-31-am.png

So, back to a beginner runner. At this point, the challenge of running > your skill of running, so it's frustrating. the fact of the matter is that, you need to build up a level of fitness in order to truly start "enjoying" the activity. Luckily, you don't need to reach Usain Bolt level for this to happen. Give yourself a consistent 4 weeks of ramp up - it will probably be a tough 4 weeks, but it will be worth it. You will start enjoying it - especially since you really WANT to.

A couple tips that may help in the process
    1. run with a group or a buddy
    2. run to music at a rhythm of 140-160 beats per minute, and match your cadence to the beat of music. It's fun like a spin class. Spotify offers playlists under its "run" function that allows you to set a BPM and genre, then it will compile a list for you
    3. be realistic with goals. You are not racing anybody but yourself. Remember - challenge vs skills
    4. find as scenic a route as you can. avoid the tyranny of the treadmill.

Good luck!!! :)
  • jetsman37
    jetsman37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you hate it then stop running! High intensity interval training (HIIT) is a much quicker way to burn calories. The workout is tough but you can complete it in 20-25 minutes instead of wasting 30-60 minutes running. Also- if you want to torch fat hot the weigts- it is far more effective than steady state cardio.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Update: I did run this morning. I went for a slow pace jog. I loved it. I wasn't catching my breath. It kinda hurt my leg a little
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Update: I did run this morning. I went for a slow pace jog. I loved it. I wasn't catching my breath. It kinda hurt my leg a little

YAY!!! Nice job!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    I always hated running.
    This last year I started running in the nature reserve near my house. Trees and rocks and lizards and butterflies and ferns and trees again.

Now I really enjoy it.

Thought I'd do a road run to compare distance/time. Still kitten hate that. Exhaust and sun and footpaths and cars. Blerg. jye6jmw7szb6.jpg

Wow--that's a beautiful trail! Nicely maintained...

im so jealous of this, i would take up running if i had an environment like that! at the minute i walk ( power) and i do body combat!
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am obese also,I hate running so I dont run. Id fail completely doing something I hated.

I walk however and do the odd youtube video workout and feel so much better already.. I enjoy these maybe try something like that instead?

Edit; saw your update well done on trying again
  • jason7776
    jason7776 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you hate it because it seems hard to do then just try doing the elliptical machine that simulates the running motion, not the one that is like ski motion. It burns the same calories and is easier than running and a better upper body workout. Once you lose enough weight then running will be easier.