$13.30 for three days of food

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm a college student and I am currently in a class that addresses all different types of inequality. For an upcoming project, I have $13.30 (around $4.43 per day) to use to eat for three days (mirrors average assistance in my area).

I cannot use any food I already have, I cannot eat any free food (from friends, promotions, etc.), and I cannot buy from any restaurants. Unfortunately, I am also not allowed to buy in bulk (even though it would equal out to the correct cost for day).

For this time period, I will not be too worried about my calorie count or my particular fitness/health goals. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or sample meal plans for me?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I bought 9 boxes of oat crisps on sale for $3 the other day, lol. Also got 2 bags of beans, 2 big bags of rice, for 10. Could have gotten one each of those, plus a container of taco seasoning, and I'd have a week of meals. I could gather and boil some dandelion leaves to get some greenery in.
  • sarahaflood
    sarahaflood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @nikkit321 and @Cuddlebearjay Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely be using some of your suggestions!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I could also get a loaf of bread for 89 cents, a head of lettice for 99 cents, a pack of cheese for a dollar, and a little lunchmeat and have sandwiches for a week. Add a smallish bag of oatmeal for $3, and a box of raisins for $1.50, and I'd have breakfasts for a week. But I have access to really cheap groceries.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cheap eats -

Pasta and sauce. My niece is in college & shops the $ day sales. This is a really common meal for her. Some frozen pizza (brands) are always cheap. Recipes using Raman noodles.

Look for vegetarian meals......dried beans and lentils are cheap. If you are willing to soak your own....you save money. The same with rice.....uncooked rice is cheaper than minute varieties.

Breakfast - eggs and/or oatmeal.

Bananas and (bagged) apples are going to be the cheapest fruits right now.

Potatoes, cabbage, and carrots (peel your own) are going to be cheap veggies.

Canned tuna & pasta. Make your own sauce....or used boxed Mac'n Cheese.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    check out Cheap Lazy Vegan on youtube, she has great ideas on how to eat well for little money, she has a series on (If I remember correctly) $20 a week or something along those lines too.
  • sarahaflood
    sarahaflood Posts: 8 Member
    Options

When you say you are not allowed to buy in bulk do you mean wouldn't be allowed to say buy a packet of pasta or a box of cereal that would make more than one meal?

No, I'm sorry, that is not what I meant. I should have make it more clear. I am not allowed to buy in excess bulk. For example, I cannot buy a 50 lb bag of rice and only use rations that fit in my daily budget. I have to stay under $13.30 overall.

Thank you @wellthenwhat !!
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice. That's how a lot of cultures eat. Plain and simple. Carbs and protein. Some oil for fat but one container of oil will last a long time.