12 weeks to lose as much weight as possible with underactive thyroid

Options
Hello
Looking on tips on how to lose weight quickly for a trip I have around the US in 12 weeks which I've only just decided to do!
I struggle to lose weight and 3 months isn't long as I am 3 stone overweight. It's not the weight I care about really its the photos so my outfits etc... I would like to lose at least a stone during this time.
I have signed up for Krav Maga lessons and a member of the gym again so aquafit and boxercise. I need to build my strength up because there is lots of walking on the trip. I am not keen on gym machines so more likely to do Insanity dvds etc. I will probably do a combo of all activities with a rest day every other day as I am studying exams and working full time too.
Thanks!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    1) are you on medication for your thyroid? are your levels correct? when was the last time you had blood work done?

if your thyroid is controlled medically, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to lose weight through monitoring calories (CICO).

12 weeks isn't a long period of time - I would focus on making sustainable changes to your health - monitoring what you eat, logging, weighing...

current weight? goal weight? (age/height/exercise level)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Aquafit is great. Even when I did not lose weight, it helped me tone up and lose inches and therefore look good in my clothes.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    3 stone = 42lbs. Not doable. However, you could get maybe 12lbs off, a little more with a water whoosh at the start (I never had one but lots of people do).

Log accurately. And the exercise will probably visually make it look like you lost a bit more than you have.

But mostly, just enjoy your trip and resolve to hit your goal by the time you go away next year!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale, just focus on eating healthy and doing thing that will boost your strength and endurance so you can actively enjoy your vacation...the inches will come off as a nice side benefit.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know you want to lose it before going on your trip but if it's any consolation...most of the US is overweight. You won't stand out. And hypothyroidism is common here too :) I know that's not what you wanted to hear though.
  • ka33433
    ka33433 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks im 27. I don't eat that bad in my opinion, for example I only drink water and I eat five of my five a day most days. Lots of the weight is "relationship" weight as my now ex used to feed me with lots of ice cream and profiteroles, i have cut all that out now and if i do want ice cream i have soy ice cream in the freezer as its better than ben and jerrys! I've had the same tubs in the freezer for over a month now though, whereas i used to go through B&Js weekly :). I cut out as much dairy as i could in January and i felt a lot less sluggish for it and my skin got better too.
    I get quite tired etc but that's because mentally i have lots going on - note why i need the break. The weightloss gives me a new focus for a few months then the trip will help me feel independent again.
    Anyway, so yeah, i am not going by scales because day to day its my clothes that count to me, weightloss is just a benefit. I get very demotivated when the scale doesn't move from previous experience, but i forget that i feel better in my clothes!
    I know its possible for me to lose 2 stone in 6 months from the past as i did it for my sisters wedding, so i think a stone is possible for me in that period. I up exercise a lot so my body goes into shock and starts growing muscle like pop eye.
    Not worried about my thyroid as I've had it since birth so don't know what its like not to have it to be honest!! Just thought in the interest of full disclosure i should say that.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    I would do indoor cycling classes aka spin classes burn 1000 calories in half an hour
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ka33433 wrote: »
    Thanks im 27. I don't eat that bad in my opinion, for example I only drink water and I eat five of my five a day most days. Lots of the weight is "relationship" weight as my now ex used to feed me with lots of ice cream and profiteroles, i have cut all that out now and if i do want ice cream i have soy ice cream in the freezer as its better than ben and jerrys! I've had the same tubs in the freezer for over a month now though, whereas i used to go through B&Js weekly :). I cut out as much dairy as i could in January and i felt a lot less sluggish for it and my skin got better too.
    I get quite tired etc but that's because mentally i have lots going on - note why i need the break. The weightloss gives me a new focus for a few months then the trip will help me feel independent again.
    Anyway, so yeah, i am not going by scales because day to day its my clothes that count to me, weightloss is just a benefit. I get very demotivated when the scale doesn't move from previous experience, but i forget that i feel better in my clothes!
    I know its possible for me to lose 2 stone in 6 months from the past as i did it for my sisters wedding, so i think a stone is possible for me in that period. I up exercise a lot so my body goes into shock and starts growing muscle like pop eye.
    Not worried about my thyroid as I've had it since birth so don't know what its like not to have it to be honest!! Just thought in the interest of full disclosure i should say that.

(in regards to the bolded..) Unfortunately you don't, unless you're a genetic freak.

Log everything you eat and drink after weighing (solids) and measuring (liquids) and making sure the entries you use are accurate. Eating well is great, but you need to know exactly how much you are eating. Sticking to a deficit is the only way you'll get results. If you are not prepared to weigh yourself, take measurements. But - if you aren't prepared to weigh yourself because you go by clothes, why does it matter how much you lose?

Don't go to caloric extremes for the sake of a holiday, it's not worth risking your health over!
  • ka33433
    Options
    Well not sure if my scales are wrong at home... i tried to get weighed properly in a shop and it didn't work properly, it said im 6 foot 7 when i am 5 foot 4! So i will get weighed next time i have my annual medication review in the summer.

Measurements using the same scales which could be wrong:
    Current weight is 193 pounds.. My weight just before the break up was 210 pounds in May 2016, then by the end of the year it was at 200 pounds - not sure how as I thought I ate constantly crying lol. I guess i was eating out less at weekends, although i was eating out more in the week.

Goal weight currently is 14 pounds (1 stone) at a time but what i plan to do is not get on the scales more than monthly because its too demotivating when it doesn't move. The long term dream is to be within a healthy BMI range so about 42 pounds (3 stone) off. I realise it takes time so I'm not in a hurry as i will just gain it back.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    ka33433 wrote: »

I think 12lb to a stone should be doable in 12 weeks even with thyroid problems a lb a week is perfectly reasonable you may want to set mfp up to lose 1.5lbs as a bit of a cushion, I find with my thyroid issues I have to be stricter to lose what I want to, a week.

Just be careful with soy products the phytoestrogens in them can interfere with thyroid replacement medications, I find I only notice this when I have soy based products frequently though. Nothing wrong with the occasional serving of Ben and Jerry's (I have phish food in the freezer at the moment yum!)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    I would do indoor cycling classes aka spin classes burn 1000 calories in half an hour

No they really don't. You'd have to be very large and work extremely hard to burn 1000 calories in an hour.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Aim for a sustainable change.
    Take your outfits to a really good tailor and have it tailored to the body you do have. A good tailor can make you look substantially better in clothes.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »

LOL..spin is great, but is NOT burning 1000 calories in half an hour! that is insane!
  • ka33433
    Options
    Johnw83: Thanks for your input - I get the idea, you're just saying it burns a lot of calories. I can't get on the bikes as they are too high and im not very balanced that's the prob!! I have tried lol.

LivingLean: Why so serious? I was only joking about pop eye! I know that from previous experience when I have lost about 2 stone that's when I feel a lot better in my clothes and have more energy etc.

Duchy: Yeah I think a stone is about right to be honest! Happy with any weight to be honest, any is better than I started with. I think putting the stress on with weight change is great as it motivates but also makes you not see the smaller goals and achievements etc so when you plateau you give up as you don't realise how far you've come. Any changes are good changes - its the obsessing that makes it go sour in the end normally as its not 'long term'.
    Yeah I heard soy can be dodgy, I only drink herbal teas etc, so I rarely touch soy or milk etc in general as I don't like cereal. I am a little lactose so avoid dairy unless its in ice cream or milk shake form which I am obviously trying to step away from. The soy ice cream is alright as I put that choc shot sauce on it instead of normal sauce as its richer. I did consume quite a lot at the start but getting used to cutting out my snack in the evening at the mo and not doing too badly.

Amtyrell: My clothes aren't worth tailoring - I need a whole new wardrobe at the mo and its the best thing about losing weight as it means I can do guilt free shopping!! I have taken clothes out my "I've gained weight draw" as they now fit again and they've been in that draw for a good year and a half so I am on the right track and I'm only just starting to try now. The relationship snacks and eating out a lot made me gain a lot and I didn't even realise. In future when a boyfriend brings me food I will tell them not to from the start I think... lesson learnt!!