Best diet/lifestyle to lose and then maintain weight

Options
I've been searching far and wide for a diet that's perfect for me. One that's going to help me lose weight and then maintain it. I'm not a beginner to this diet thing and I don't want a short term/quick fix. I want something that I can live by long-term and be the healthiest I've ever been. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate!!

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    At the end (and also the vaguest answer ever), it'll be the one you can stick with and not be miserable. Took a lot of trial an error for me, but personally it's eating more protein and fats within my calorie target, but also planning for things such as beer/wine, burger/pizza, and other foods I love. Just in portions that don't kill my deficit. But again, this has been months of trying things until I found my fit. There is no one size fits all and what works for me likely won't for you. But if you eat less than you burn, regardless of the title of your diet, you'll lose weight. As already mentioned, CICO.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was this:

1. Realize that conservation of energy (i.e. calories) is by far the most important thing in weight management
    2. Eat plenty of nutritious food: fruits, vegetables, dairy, whole grains, etc
    3. Eat energy-dense foods that I like in limited quantities
    4. Experiment with various kinds of food and eating times to see what works best with my schedule, the food we have in our house, and my predilections
    5. Include some exercise daily, and intense exercise most days

For me it's an ongoing process that has taken years. My diet and lifestyle don't have a name. They are just what I eat and how I live.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the "CICO diet." Eat fewer calories in a day than your body uses. Eat mostly "healthy" foods, but allow your favorite "unhealthy" foods in moderation. I eat pretty healthy throughout the day, and leave room at the end of every day for a little chocolate or ice cream. If I tried to restrict my diet to completely "healthy" food, I would freak out and binge, and then quit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat in moderation. Exercise frequently.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the "CICO diet." Eat fewer calories in a day than your body uses. Eat mostly "healthy" foods, but allow your favorite "unhealthy" foods in moderation. I eat pretty healthy throughout the day, and leave room at the end of every day for a little chocolate or ice cream. If I tried to restrict my diet to completely "healthy" food, I would freak out and binge, and then quit.

This. :)