I'm finding it difficult to eat 1200 calories.

Options

Replies

• Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    fennel, linden leaves and galangal root, the active ingredients in the slim plus tea are appetite suppressants. That's why you feel full on 800 calories a day. My advice would be to drop your consumption from three cups of this tea a day, to perhaps one a day and see if that helps your appetite. Also include a few carbs in your diet, such as a half a slice of whole grain bread with your miso paste or a very small baked potato with your green beans for a little more of a balanced meal.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    What are your current stats & goals, OP? What was the calorie count of an average day for you before?

Along with some of the points mentioned above (perhaps you are eating more volume of less calorie-dense foods and need to broaden your diet to include more calorie-dense foods), it is common for new ones to experience sort of a "dieter's high"- they're so excited about their new diet & initial weight loss, they feel like they don't hardly need to eat at all! This phase will pass soon enough. ;) But in the meantime, you need to fuel your body properly.

This reply is going to be long, sorry.

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female
    Health problems: Fibromyalgia, two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.
    I eat whole fish in the morning for the calcium and vitamin D in the bones along with the healthy fish oil and protein.
    I eat 100g-200g of green vegetables with every meal to help one type of the anemia, and I eat 150g-200g beef heart steak (it contains more nutrients and iron than regular steak) in the evening for the other type of anemia.

My goal is to be a healthy weight; my overall goal for the next 2-4years is 126lbs, with no vitamin deficiencies; to do this is the reason why I chose the above food choices, and it's a lot more food than what I usually eat, but probably less calories.
    I have limited energy due to the Fibromyalgia, I only ate one meal a day with a couple of milky coffee's because that's all I had energy to prepare, a lot of the time I don't have energy to do much at all although I do get some good days where I can do almost as much as I did before.

Thank you, OP. This gives perspective.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. It's great that you are incorporating dietary changes to help you cope.

I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator (based on sedentary & housebound, which I'm not sure is accurate) and got 1888 (the calories it would require for you to maintain your present weight). That means to gain weight, you basically have had to be eating 2000+ over an extended period of time. It would seem if you were consuming that much in one meal, that you could certainly manage 1200 over the course of the day, even adjusting for the volume.

Couple of thoughts. As has been mentioned, the appetite-surpressing tea could certainly be the culprit. I know you're on that. :) Is there a medical reason you gave up your milky coffee? If not, why not add it back in? Did you cut out other foods that you enjoy for non-medical reasons? Then add add one or two of those items back in. SueSueDio had some good suggestions as well. To the extent you can get some gentle exercise, this could help stimulate your appetite too (and help with the fibro). I'm sure you will get it worked out. :)
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    What are your current stats & goals, OP? What was the calorie count of an average day for you before?

Along with some of the points mentioned above (perhaps you are eating more volume of less calorie-dense foods and need to broaden your diet to include more calorie-dense foods), it is common for new ones to experience sort of a "dieter's high"- they're so excited about their new diet & initial weight loss, they feel like they don't hardly need to eat at all! This phase will pass soon enough. ;) But in the meantime, you need to fuel your body properly.

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female
    Health problems: Fibromyalgia, two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.
    I eat whole fish in the morning for the calcium and vitamin D in the bones along with the healthy fish oil and protein.
    I eat 100g-200g of green vegetables with every meal to help one type of the anemia, and I eat 150g-200g beef heart steak (it contains more nutrients and iron than regular steak) in the evening for the other type of anemia.

My goal is to be a healthy weight; my overall goal for the next 2-4years is 126lbs, with no vitamin deficiencies; to do this is the reason why I chose the above food choices, and it's a lot more food than what I usually eat, but probably less calories.
    I have limited energy due to the Fibromyalgia, I only ate one meal a day with a couple of milky coffee's because that's all I had energy to prepare, a lot of the time I don't have energy to do much at all although I do get some good days where I can do almost as much as I did before.

To the extent you can get some gentle exercise, this could help stimulate your appetite too (and help with the fibro).

I second this advice as someone who also has fibro (and I know several others on here that have it also) - do as much gentle exercise as you can and that will definitely help. I can always tell when I need to get out more because my fibro will be worse but if I get in a walk, even if it's slow, it gets a little better. If I work out regularly in some shape or form, it seems to be for the most part alleviated but then it gets very bad if I stop. So try that as well and see if it helps. Fair warning: it will hurt more at first but that's just when you are starting and is to be expected. If you can push past that, it does get better. Hope this helps!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would seriously eat an avocado.... yay for the healthy fats. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female

Do you have access to a Registered Dietician (or whatever the UK version is)? It sounds like you should schedule a consult. They will be able to help you figure out a way lose weight safely while offering suggestions as to how you can manage the assorted issues. They take your preferences and lifestyle into account also. Having an RD as part of your healthcare team is a big help.

I do agree that dropping the detox tea is going to help. Right now, you are not eating enough.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So this actually happened to me when I first joined this site. The first few days that I was on here and started tracking I was more aware of it and just not hungry. That quickly wore off, though!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So this actually happened to me when I first joined this site. The first few days that I was on here and started tracking I was more aware of it and just not hungry. That quickly wore off, though!

It is common for new members. They go for high volume/low calorie foods and get filled up before reaching the calorie target. Usually doesn't take long to figure out.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,611 Member
    Options
    Before joining I was only eating one meal a day with a couple of milky coffee's, but I gain weight really easily..

Was your one meal at The Cheesecake Factory?? ;)

I have nothing to add to this thread other than that was hilarious. :)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    OP, try varying the time of your meals and see if it makes a difference. I went through a phase where I ate almost all my calories after going to the gym in the evenings. The trouble was that after the gym I was so wiped out that I would eat only a small portion of my calories, be full, and fall asleep. I shifted more of my calories to the earlier parts of the day and it helped a lot.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to have a similar problem. I have a really high metabolism and I get full really fast. However I did find a couple things that helped me eat more. I eat breakfast first thing in the morning. Sometimes it's bigger like avocado toast, eggs, turkey bacon, etc.....other times it's maybe just a smoothie or a little bit of granola and fruit. Eating first thing in the morning jumpstarts your metabolism Will help keep your appetite up throughout the day. The longer you go without eating the less hungry you will be which seems counterintuitive. Another thing I do is eat small meals throughout the day instead of three large ones. My largest meal is always usually breakfast, but I tend to eat every few hours. I found that if I wait until meal times I get full really fast and then it's hard for me to get all the calories in a day that I want. But if I eat smaller meals throughout the day I am more likely to eat the amount calories I want/need to eat.

800 cal is really not going to sustain your energy level, especially if you exercise as well.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I actually don't think the things you're eating are so bad -- you're getting a lot of protein, and you have some veggies in there. I know you said you'd switch out the tea and I'm sure that will help, but I think if you added in some healthy fats and perhaps some fruit (or even grains, if you wanna go that far) then you would see a pretty big improvement and be able to hit your calorie goals.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My mom has fibro. Exercise is your friend even if you don't know it yet. I lectured her for years that she had to move more and when her PT finally made her do 30 min on the elliptical several times a week I got a "You were right about the exercise" call from a woman who NEVER admits she is wrong.

She also gets full fast and digesting big meals wipes her out. She eats like I do, 5-6 times a day about 200-300 calories at a time. Make one of those meals a protein shake if that helps. You need more calories or your energy will continue to suffer.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,011 Member
    Options
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Stats are:
    184lbs
    165cm
    Female

Are you taking a vitamin D supplement? It's incredibly difficult to get vitamin D from food.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Most Vit D intake is from sunlight - by all means take a Vit D supplement if your levels are low - I would take a combination Vit D/calcium one, given your calcium levels are low too, but also get enough sunshine

• cicalejo64
    cicalejo64 Posts: 15 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was under calories one day also and I think all these comments are helpful. I know from past experience that dieting too vigorously can stall your weight loss. What I'm liking about this journal is the fact it breaks down proteins, carbs, etc. Check where you are really low and work it from there. A good yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit can help. Proteins are important and so are carbs. best wishes!
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Duh ;) - just googled the Vitabiotics Osteocare that you are already taking - and lo and behold, it is a supplement for Vit D/calcium (and magnesium and zinc)

Ignore us trying to reinvent wheel for you on that one. :*

Although do look at what I said about iron supplements.
  • m0mmymakeover
    m0mmymakeover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you check someone else's diary?
  • SarahFromWalthamForest
    Options
    two types of anemia, Vitamin D deficiency and Calcium deficiency. I take a multi-vitamin with iron, Vitabiotics Osteocare and an Omega fish oil supplement.

One little side point to rest of thread - multi vitamins do not usually contain enough iron to effectively treat iron def anemia.
    You would be much better off on a specific iron supplement - eg Ferrograd or FGF..
    Look at the labels and you will see they have far more iron in them than the multi vitamins .

100g of beef heart contains 424% of daily recommend iron intake, I eat 150g-200g a day, do the math..