Hard to get motivated

Options
Hi all. 36 yr old female. I'm a mom of 4 and a grandma of 1. I'm currently a full time student as well as a full time mom. I have a lot of stress right now in my life (as i'm sure a lot of you do too) and I'm not sure if now is the right time to even try to lose weight but if I keep waiting for me to think its the right time I'm never going to do it. I have 3 over weight daughters and a very tall healthy weight son. I want to start walking and doing other activities that I can encourage my girls to do with me. Their ages are 12, 8, and 5. I went back to school partly to show them its never too late to get your education and I'd like to lose weight to show them (and myself) that I can do it and if you want something bad enough you can accomplish it. Thanks for listening and hope to talk to others to help keep me and my girls motivated.

Replies

• nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am a mother of 5 boys ages 10, 6, 5, 3, and 1 1/2 and am also a full time student. I totally know how hard it can be to have a busy life and drop weight. You really have to schedule workouts into your day. Nothing (well almost) comes inbetween me and my workout. I buy better foods at the store so the fam bam has no choice but to eat healthy. You can do this!! If I can anyone can!! You need to make time for yourself to better yourself. Take it one day at a time!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hi, Chancey :)

Great to see you here, and I'd be happy to friend you and give encouragement!

That's great that you're taking charge of NOW, instead of relegating what you want to [the perpetual] tomorrow! Also, great to set a good example for your daughters -- kids look up to their parents for a way to understand life and the best way to live!
    Helping other people is a huge motivator for me, so I always remind myself that if I go after my goals it can show other people that they can do it, too.
  • ThaiKaren
    ThaiKaren Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP. don't put off till tomorrow what you can start today. You owe it to yourself and your daughters to start this new healthy lifestyle right now. Just think of all the health problems in the future you are gong to have if you don't lose weight. Start with mini goals, maybe a chart on the fridge where you can all watch your progress, you can download them free from the internet, with little non food related rewards. Involve the girls as much as possible with new healthy food choices and walking is a good exercise to start with or maybe swimming. Are there any classes near you i.e Zumba or dancing, exercise must be fun to do or you'll all get fed up and go back to couch potato lifestyles. Another thing which is fun and everyone is doing over here, hoola hoop, although I haven't mastered the knack of it. Anyway good luck for your first week and with a little support from everyone on here and 100% effort from you, you can achieve your goal. x
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    GunnyErmey1-1.jpg
  • marissagianna
    Options
    Losing weight its not a easy thing. Most people take advice of dieticians because they feel that their diet is bad. Regular use of exercise can be reduce the normal weight and avoid taking large fried foods. and fruits provide carbohydrates that provide essential energy for metabolism.
  • lavittabela
    Options
    hey its never a bad time to start, its like when people say " This is a bad time to quit smoking, because im so stressed. YOU CAN DO IT. I get up 6 days a week
    -45 min of the insanity workout @4am
    - Be to work @530am
    -get off work at 500pm
    Be to school @600
    get out of school @10

START ALL OVER AGAIN. Your body can handle amazing things and when you see the weight come off it will be worth it

-
  • kaelialyssa
    kaelialyssa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you're being such a great role model for your kids! It is really hard to find a good balance between kids, school, work and exercise (I just graduated from college so I can vouch for all of that except the kids part...) and it will take some trial and error to figure out what works for you. Walking is great because you can do it anywhere and you don't need any special equipment to do it AND it's family friendly. Some of my favorite times are afternoon walks with my family. Good luck to you!