Wanting chocolate, want to lose weight

Options
... the title says it all. I have a big sweet tooth. I don't eat fruit. I don't even cook. I need easy recipes because I don't even understand cooking basics. It is daunting.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    86% cacao dark chocolate. 1 square per day. 60 calories. No cooking, no recipe needed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate and lose weight :)
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Just account for plain chocolate in your regular goals. <3

I'll get the Chocolate Mocha Chip ice cream from Halo Top and slowly eat it over the course of a few days. 280 calories for the entire pint... Oh yes.

Or I'll plan ahead and have a lighter dinner in exchange for a Hershey milk chocolate bar. My weakness.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,933 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat. See how many calories you ate. Review what you're eaten. Decide what you're willing to reduce and what you would rather increase.

You WILL have to put some work into it and discover what things you like, what things you can tolerate, what things fill you up, and what things you're willing to sacrifice other things for!

Can you eat chocolate all day long most of the day? Probably not in Snickers or milk chocolate format in unlimited quantities. But cocoa powder sprinkled on artificially sweetened 0% yogurt? Or a daily 60 Cal square of Ghirardelli chocolate? Or a mini snickers bar? Or black bean chocolate brownies? Or even the occasional full size chocolate bar? Or a handful of chipits? Any or all of these MAY easily fit your goals moving forward...
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm losing 1.5 lbs per week - eat chocolate every day. I avoid regular milk chocolate that I would not be able to stop eating. Instead I use 74% dark chocolate - 1 or 2 squares a day.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about Calories On < Calories Out. When you compute your daily calorie goals, plan your meals so you have room for one piece of good chocolate at the end of the day. Enjoy it slowly, and then look forward to the one you're going to have the next day. And so on. Make sure it's good chocolate. If you're only eating a little, there's no reason to subject yourself to substandard yumminess.

You can eat whatever you like and lose weight, but that means we sometimes have to plan our consumption so that we can fit what we want into our goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure Brookside chocolates can be counted as a fruit.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foods-everyone-should-learn-to-cook?utm_term=.teL4rVM1L#.dk8gj5aKD
  • Citronova
    Citronova Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Last week I made sugar free instant chocolate pudding with unsweetened almond milk. It was 38 calories per serving
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    One Hershey's kiss is 22 calories. A mini chocolate bar is usually 50–80 calories. Basically, you can eat whatever you like and if you're in a deficit, you will lose weight. Now, as far as getting adequate nutrition and feeling full, obviously you need to get the majority of your calories from nutrient-dense foods. But so long as there's no medical reason not to, if you can fit chocolate into your calorie budget, go for it!
  • mary_clinton6
    mary_clinton6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    86% cacao dark chocolate. 1 square per day. 60 calories. No cooking, no recipe needed.

That's like having no chocolate.. lollll
    I'm working on it. Going through stores and not buying any (most of the time).
    Citronova wrote: »
    Last week I made sugar free instant chocolate pudding with unsweetened almond milk. It was 38 calories per.
    Can you share the recipe with me? :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just plan in your chocolate. There's a lot of chocolate out there if you just look. I'd say likely half of protein bars have chocolate, for instance. And there's light chocolate puddings, light ice cream, cereal with chocolate, chocolate smoothies, etc.

But don't be entirely surprised that with healthier eating habits, chocolate isn't quite as alluring. I found that. Correction: crappy quality chocolate. I still have no real control over really good chocolate. :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So have chocolate and lose weight! A single individually wrapped Ghirardelli 86% cocoa chocolate square is 63 calories. A single cluster of Brach's Milk Chocolate Peanut Clusters is about 60 calories.

The only problem is the rest of the chocolate in the respective bags. You must have the self control to budget and use only one. Or two. It's under 100 calories for crying out loud. Do a little exercise and have 3.
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Find a chocolate protein/meal replacement shake that you like...then you can have it daily, guilt free! I'm a HUGE shakeology fan (I know...insert eye roll here) because it honestly fills me up, helps with digestions, tastes amazing, and I actually make PB cups, mug cakes, and other sweet treats with it too!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try a square of 72% dark chocolate instead of 86%. I've been a dark chocolate fiend for years, but 86% helps more when I'm craving a fancy coffee than it does chocolate.

If you have Netflix, watch the show Worst Cooks in America. I swear it will help you become competent in a kitchen.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Search for easy healthy meals, or easy meals for a beginning cook or something like that on Google. One of my favorites is some low fat turkey sausage browned and a little added in with a scrambled egg or two. Oatmeal is easy and quick, and cheap. You can add chocolate powder and a little sugar and have chocolate oatmeal. My favorite is with some raisins, though