Has anyone ever had those Miracle Noodles (Shiratake noodles)?

Options
2»

Replies

• newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For anyone familiar with it, I made Skyline with them last weekend. It was interesting. I got a brand off Amazon that was known for not smelling fishy and overall they were pretty inoffensive. They were a bit rubbery but it didn't immediately put me off. I'm going to try it again because I have three more packages of them. But yes it's very low calorie, 4oz of pasta is 400 calories, and 6oz of the shirataki is 35 calories. I really want to make it work because Skyline is one of my favorite things to eat.
  • spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The typical way in Japanese cuisine to prepare them for cooking is by putting them in a pot of boiling water on the stove for a minute, drain the water, then put the pot back on the stove. Stir the noodles around until they sound squeaky, which means the excess water is gone.

I personally don't use them as a pasta replacement. I do like them as an addition to japanese soups (miso or dashi), table-top hot pots, or simmered dishes (like nikujaga). I actually really like them! Nice textural contrast with the meat and veg in broth :)
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like cooking them with butter, nutritional yeast, garlic & onion powder and chicken bullion. Also good with soy sauce, nut butter, sriracha, chopped green onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and a protein like shrimp.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Stir the noodles around until they sound squeaky, which means the excess water is gone.

i'm mesmerized by the idea of food that squeaks. are you sure that *kitten*'s dead? this makes it sound like you're cooking sea monkeys.

although, now i think about it i've been able to make mushrooms squeak too.

• spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stir the noodles around until they sound squeaky, which means the excess water is gone.

i'm mesmerized by the idea of food that squeaks. are you sure that *kitten*'s dead? this makes it sound like you're cooking sea monkeys.

although, now i think about it i've been able to make mushrooms squeak too.

That's how it's done :) I've never had an issue with fishy smells or tastes with that technique which put so many people off. Once you've removed the excess water, the noodles are great at soaking up sauces and broth.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Folks you just have to TRY (a little bit harder) ... apologies to Janis Joplin.

I discovered these a couple of years ago and I think the are so good I have eaten them at least 5 days a week since( OCD and i work at home).

Here's what I do.

Open the packet and dump the noodles in a collander and wash them thoroughly. I then chuck them in a non stick frying pan to dry fry them until they squeak as spoonpuppet says. Meanwhile I get a bowl stick 20Ml of satay sauce in , i then pour in 30 ml of black vinegar, add a teaspoon of trumeric and mix the turmeric and vinegar ( the satay sauce sits in the middle of the bowl in a lumpy gloop).

Once the noodles are ready i dump them in the bowl (this gives the noodle a nice satay flavour). Then heat up some fried tofu puffs ( or fry some hard tofu) the amount of tofu i use is 180g but you can adjust to suit your calorie/macro needs. These then go in the bowl with the noodles. I then fry an egg and heat up some frozen peas in the pan and add these to the bowl and Voila! Yummy lunch and very FILLING.

(leave the egg out, change the peas for snap peas or mushrooms experiment!)

Now go try some Natto from the land of the rising sun, if you can keep that down kudos!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    awinner_au wrote: »
    Folks you just have to TRY (a little bit harder) ... apologies to Janis Joplin.

I discovered these a couple of years ago and I think the are so good I have eaten them at least 5 days a week since( OCD and i work at home).

Here's what I do.

Open the packet and dump the noodles in a collander and wash them thoroughly. I then chuck them in a non stick frying pan to dry fry them until they squeak as spoonpuppet says. Meanwhile I get a bowl stick 20Ml of satay sauce in , i then pour in 30 ml of black vinegar, add a teaspoon of trumeric and mix the turmeric and vinegar ( the satay sauce sits in the middle of the bowl in a lumpy gloop).

Once the noodles are ready i dump them in the bowl (this gives the noodle a nice satay flavour). Then heat up some fried tofu puffs ( or fry some hard tofu) the amount of tofu i use is 180g but you can adjust to suit your calorie/macro needs. These then go in the bowl with the noodles. I then fry an egg and heat up some frozen peas in the pan and add these to the bowl and Voila! Yummy lunch and very FILLING.

(leave the egg out, change the peas for snap peas or mushrooms experiment!)

Now go try some Natto from the land of the rising sun, if you can keep that down kudos!

No thanks. I'd rather eat something else.
  • aephillips1
    aephillips1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use Miracle Noodle brand. Drain all the liquid from the package and rinse the noodles in running water. Then boil the noodles in fresh water for about five minutes, drain, and put them on a dry skillet on medium heat. They do have a rubbery texture that a lot of people don't seem to like. For this reason, I cut mine with kitchen shears and tend to fry them longer (10+ minutes).

They are perfect in my chicken noodle soup. This week I have been enjoying them with marinara and meat sauce. For alfredo, I use angel hair style. I have also used them to make pizza crust and chocolate brownies.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I usually use them in Asian dishes. Just rinse then dry fry like previously mentioned. I did try a fake alfredo that wasn't too bad. I rinsed & fried, then added chopped broccoli, leftover rotisserie chicken and a couple of the Aldi garlic & herb cheese wedges (like Laughing Cow).Need to tweak the sauce a bit next time, but not too bad.
  • Jennifer1Gore
    Jennifer1Gore Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love them. Hungry girl has a lot of great recipes for them, along with how to prepare them so they don't have that fishy smell.
  • indy87colts
    indy87colts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use one of those veggie ninja things to turn zucchini and cucumber into spaghetti/ noodle replacements. So much better then what I'm seeing about these "noodle" lol
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I've tried them. They taste fine when prepared "properly" (rinsed and parboiled) but they are very expensive and have limited applications -- mainly Asian soup and stir fry IMO.

Would rather just use ramen instead, which only costs me 10-15 cents a pack, instead of the $2+ per pack of "miracle" noodles.

There are calories in them, just too few to be required to post them (like pickles). Doesn't matter if you use them or other high cal noodles (like ramen) as long as you are calculating CICO.