calorie intake to output ratio

Options
I have been doing this for this for about 11 days now and I'm noticing after inputing all food and exercises ive been -400 to -1000 at the end of the day. for example today I only ate 1300 calorie (and no I'm nowhere near hungry) and did 2356 in exercise calories.... am I setting myself up for a slow metabolism.. or do I need to cut back on the exercising... I work out anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day..

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Are you using a fitbit to calculate these calories? That's probably the problem. No way you burned 2356 in just exercise...even in three hard hours.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    That calorie burn may be accurate if you ran a marathon today. Otherwise, probably nah.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    ttate121 wrote: »
    ...and did 2356 in exercise calories.... I work out anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day..

What exactly did you do to burn 2356 calories?

What I would have to do to burn that would be ...

Walk for 11 hours and 45 minutes, or
    Cycle or run for about 6 hours, or
    Climb nearly 400 flights of stairs.

So what did you do? :)

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah, that exercise burn seems, to understate the matter, wildly optimistic.

For comparison, 5 days a week I run about 9.5km in about 47 minutes. MFP and many other online calculators tell me I burn about 750 calories each time I do that. (These are higher end estimates. Some are lower.) Those same calculators tell me I'd have to run 30 km (about 18.6 miles) in a hour and a half to burn about what you're saying here.

Exactly what kind of exercise are you talking about? And where did you get that number from?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It it not going to slow your metabolism. Metabolism does not work that way.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at what Fitbit reports for calorie burn - that's the day's total so far.

Are you looking at what MFP calls Fitbit Adjustment - that's Fitbit total minus MFP estimated total daily burn.

Are you looking at the details of that adjustment - that's the Fitbit total burn at last sync used for math.

If that was from 3 hrs of workout - it would have to be pretty intense to burn at that rate - and that usually doesn't happen on average for a full 3 hrs. That long times means you can't be that intense generally. Some do, it is possible, but takes lots of training to get there.

Unless Fitbit was using HR-based calorie burn and you had inflated HR, and therefore calorie burn too.

Also - the way MFP works - if you already selected a weight loss goal amount weekly - then your eating goal already has you eating less than you burn.

You don't attempt to go under yet another big block amount.

If you have it set to maintenance, then fine. It's a method that some use. Create some form of deficit daily, let it vary, don't stress about how much.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that the 2356 calories would be much closer to your TDEE rather than calories burned by exercise alone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I am thinking that the 2356 calories would be much closer to your TDEE rather than calories burned by exercise alone.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking.

OP are following mfp or Fitbit for calories?

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've had days when I burned that many calories and more with exercise. I can assure you that I ate a lot more than 1300 calories on those days. So, i don't really believe that you burned that many calories with exercise. But for the sake of argument, let's assume you did. A "slow metabolism" is the least of your worries. First, burning about 4,000 calories in a day isn't "slow" by anyone's measure. But more than that, you have to have burned through your glycogen while doing that and you are putting yourself at risk of falling into a coma or even worse. If you are going to exercise for more than an hour and a half, you need to eat carbs while you are exercising. You also need to eat before and after you exercise.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Are you using a fitbit to calculate these calories? That's probably the problem. No way you burned 2356 in just exercise...even in three hard hours.

This looks more like total burned to me. Without stats and context, it's hard to tell for sure, but would be easy to misconstrue based on the terminology of the OP.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    That's more exercise calories than I burn in a week, and I'm training for the 10K!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @ttate121 As you can see there's incredulity about your calorie burn. I've got a 400+ lb friend who burns numbers like that walking around, but you have to be quite large to burn such calories in active exercise. Moreover, your active exercise is too much. Do your active exercise for an hour, or less. Then rest and refuel. Then if you want to exercise again later in the day, you can. Be cautious though. I was maintaining 320 lb once with an hour of raquetball in the morning, an hour of weight lifting at noon, and an hour of aerobic dancing after work. I also had an hour of eating after each of those exertions.
  • ttate121
    ttate121 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm typing in the exercises and getting the amounts from what mfp says. for yesterday doing 45 min of Zumba (first time too) is 877 calories 54 min of the stair treadmill,general is 1096 (went two different times 24 min=478 30min=598) and byclyceled 33 min at 10-12mph and it said 438... so do I not need to go off of what mfp says... also keep up with google fit and for the month to date ive have burned 71,745 (it adds the calories 930 for basically body functions).
  • ttate121
    Options
    I started this app just twelve days ago .. but starting this process on nov 21 2016 weighing 318 pounds. ive lost 25 pounds to date. last weighed 3/18.. so what am I doing wrong if I'm going off of these apps
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Those calorie burns are at least double what they should be in my opinion.
  • ttate121
    Options
    i have mfp set for weight loss.. im not purposily eating below ive actually eaten more food since doing mfp and keeping up with my intake
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    MFP calories burned is grossly exaggerated. I actually went down pounds when I started eating more
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Okay, the fact that you are over 300 pounds kind of skews your calorie needs. Those calories for exercise are really high...I think they get skewed as well. Yes, you use more calories than a thin person when you exercise, but you have a lot of body fat to be used as energy, so you don't need to be eating 4500 calories a day.

What are your basic calorie settings for "Lose 2 pounds per week"?

I would say, keep exercising for an hour a day, but don't eat over 2500 calories per day (unless you're really tall.) Your body is going to use your body fat as energy.

• ttate121
    Options
    i eat the same breakfast 2eggs with spinach cheese and onion 480 calories and 4 butterball everyday turkey links.180 calories(i was always bad about eating breakfast so this is a huge improvement had the 86 oz of water for the day and two slices of papa murphy chicken garlic pizza that was 640 calories i wasnt hungry at all
  • cmriverside
    Options
    So do you have a question?