At what point did you decided you needed to change?

Options

Replies

• TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight all of my life. My mom had me on diets and at 16 I joined WW and lost the weight I needed to. Needless to say gained it back. Then life happened and by my second child I had become bigger than I ever was. By the time I was pregnant for my 4th child the Dr. said I had to lose weight and I did and was thin again before he was born. Once again gaining it all back. Then in 2010 my daughter got engaged and was getting married in November of 2011, I looked at myself in the mirror and said no way am I going to be the fat mom in the pictures. So January 2011 I started WW and by November I had lost 90 lbs. I kept it off for 2 years, met my husband, got a little too happy and gained 60 + back. Once again the mirror didn't lie! So now I am back on track eating healthy and staying that way!
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'd successfully taken off more than 100lbs from Jan 2011 to June 2012, going from a size 24 to an 8. I kept it off for about a year and then got super lazy and lax. Didn't track calories, stopped exercising. Once we moved from Colorado to Florida about 6 months ago, I had to buy a new pair of work pants. Size 18. Stepped on the scale and realized I had gained back 65lbs over the past few years. That's when I said - NO WAY. Gotta do something!!!
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the heavier side, on the BMI line between overweight and obese, but when I put on about 50 pounds in a year during a crappy relationship and subsequent breakup/depression, 3 things told me I had to change: 1) I was no longer able to use the birth control I wanted to use because there's a weight limit for it to be effective (the limit was 198, I was 215). 2) I almost had to ask for a seatbelt extender on a flight. 3) At a work event with volunteers, an older guy who I hadn't met before came up to me and said "Are you like me, or is there a baby in there?" I knew exactly what he meant, but I played dumb and said "Well, I'm not pregnant, so...?" He responded "Oh, you must eat too much then!" That's when I knew I had to change. I got to within 5 lbs of my goal weight over the next year and a half, and kept most of it off.

When my husband and I met almost 5 years ago, we fell in love *hard* and were very "Screw it, let's eat all the things!" He had just finished Army basic training and AIT, and I was still running somewhat. He was deployed to Afghanistan a few months later, and I ate pretty healthy and exercised often when he was gone. When he came back....boom. We pretty much went on a year long food and booze bender. I gained all but 20 lbs of it back.

Last summer, I started nursing school, and the reminders every. single. day. of what happens to your body when when you're obese and sedentary were enough to get me back on track (I'm now training for my 3rd half marathon, and eating much healthier -- down 23 lbs since July!). We'll be trying to get pregnant in less than a year too, which is great motivation (pregnancy is definitely more dangerous when you start out obese).
  • BaddS4
    BaddS4 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I was a few pounds away from having to start shopping at those big and tall stores was my wake up point!! Now I'm back into just a large size and 34 jeans!! :) Now I'm just shedding the last 30 pounds and trying really super hard to tone my body... Still a ways to go on my journey but I'm loving my newer body, reclaimed energy and confidence once again!! :)
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I started snoring and kept waking myself up (I don't normally snore, it was from the weight). I also saw a picture of myself, I was in denial.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    A lot of stuff.
    The only clothes I could fit were my 6ft 3, 260 lb hubby's clothes with the pants legs rolled up. People thought I was a man. My doctor at the time told me to either gain 30 lbs to get gastric bypass or glue my lips shut and lose weight on my own when I became prediabetic and was diagnosed with arthritis and fibromyalgia. Everyone from children to senior citizens would walk up to me and insult me about my weight and appearance (bad finances and apathy caused me to really let myself go). I tried to eat my feelings away, resulting in more weight gain, anger, and hurt. So I said "me first" and carried myself to Weight Watchers.
  • CaffeinatedRats
    CaffeinatedRats Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I stepped on a scale and realized I was 5 lbs away from being morbidly obese.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    1. Hating pictures of myself
    2. The number on the scale
    3. Being out of breath all the time
    4. Pants always wearing out in the thighs

But the real thing was....strangers always asking me when I was due. Ugh it made my blood boil but I always shrugged it off as the fact they were rude women. Then...a sweet little five year old asked me when the baby was coming. And I had had enough and made a snide comment. To a five year old. Shame on me and I felt awful. The next day I started calorie counting. I finally realized they were right!
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    To put it simply;when I realized I just couldn't stand it anymore.
    I was very depressed after the long illness,and death of my mother.I was horribly stressed out caring for her,and then losing her.So I ate for comfort,and really didn't pay much attention to my weight increasing.Much of it was also due to the stress.I just blew up.
    The thing is I do know how to work out.I've been lifting weights for years.I was strong,but not low in body fat.But I was in at least tolerable shape.
    I knew I could use my lifting to inspire myself to eat better.I'm plodding along.Still learning more effective eating habits as I go.
    But I'm back to lifting on a regular basis.I intend to keep up with it for the rest of my life.