calorie intake to output ratio

Options
2»

Replies

• ttate121
    ttate121 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    im just making sure im not throwning my body into starvation mode with the intake to output. im trying to prevent that. so basically you guys are saying im not eating enough still or not use use the mfp amonuts for what im burning. am i correct
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ttate121 wrote: »
    I'm typing in the exercises and getting the amounts from what mfp says. for yesterday doing 45 min of Zumba (first time too) is 877 calories 54 min of the stair treadmill,general is 1096 (went two different times 24 min=478 30min=598) and byclyceled 33 min at 10-12mph and it said 438... so do I not need to go off of what mfp says... also keep up with google fit and for the month to date ive have burned 71,745 (it adds the calories 930 for basically body functions).

These numbers look like the numbers I was getting when I was around 220 lb doing similar activities for similar times. Being also a bicycler, I use mapmyride.com to determine the distance of my route, as well as a stopwatch to determine the time of my excursion. I use a mountain bike on a paved city bike trail. My MPH , and I work it hard, is half that.

You're still new at this, so proceed with caution believing what the MFP exercise database says about your exercise. It awards many very generous values. Many very experienced and very successful users of this site log their exercise and eat back some fraction of their exercise calories to avoid the foot shot of eating back all of the too generous exercise award, and then gaining weight. Should you choose to eat back only a fraction of your exercise calories, pick a fraction and stay close to it. Watch your weight carefully over time. If in a month your losses aren't what you expect, the first likely suspect is your exercise log. Eat back less of your earned calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    im just making sure im not throwning my body into starvation mode with the intake to output. im trying to prevent that. so basically you guys are saying im not eating enough still or not use use the mfp amonuts for what im burning. am i correct

Don't worry about "starvation mode." It doesn't apply, it doesn't exist, don't worry about it. It's a made-up fear.

How many calories a day are you eating?

Log your food on this site, use about half of those exercise calories, keep good records for a month. The biggest thing you need to worry about if you are eating low calories is malnutrition. Make sure you are hitting those protein numbers and get some vegetables and fat every day.
  • ttate121
    ttate121 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cmriverside.. i do use the mfp app to track calories that's thee reply when i put what my food diary was for yesterday and the calorie amounts
  • cmriverside
    Options
    cmriverside.. i do use the mfp app to track calories that's thee reply when i put what my food diary was for yesterday and the calorie amounts

HOW MANY calories a DAY are you supposed to be eating according to your food page??????????????????????????

This does not answer the question...
    i eat the same breakfast 2eggs with spinach cheese and onion 480 calories and 4 butterball everyday turkey links.180 calories(i was always bad about eating breakfast so this is a huge improvement had the 86 oz of water for the day and two slices of papa murphy chicken garlic pizza that was 640 calories i wasnt hungry at all

• cmriverside
    Options
    That intake you posted...is that 1240 calories?

Eat more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for this for about 11 days now and I'm noticing after inputing all food and exercises ive been -400 to -1000 at the end of the day. for example today I only ate 1300 calorie (and no I'm nowhere near hungry) and did 2356 in exercise calories.... am I setting myself up for a slow metabolism.. or do I need to cut back on the exercising... I work out anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day..

Given that you weigh close to 300 pounds and are exercising 1.5 - 3 hours per day, you should be eating a lot more than 1300 calories per day.

However, you may be setting yourself up for burnout or injury with that intense schedule. I get wanting the weight off NOW, but it is healthier to think of weight loss as a marathon, not a sprint.

Do eat back at least 50% of the calories you earn from exercise. If you are finding this difficult, eating nutrient dense foods like peanut butter or nuts can help. There's a thread with a list; I'm sure someone will be along to post it or perhaps it is in the stickies.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have been doing this for this for about 11 days now and I'm noticing after inputing all food and exercises ive been -400 to -1000 at the end of the day. for example today I only ate 1300 calorie (and no I'm nowhere near hungry) and did 2356 in exercise calories.... am I setting myself up for a slow metabolism.. or do I need to cut back on the exercising... I work out anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours a day..

Given that you weigh close to 300 pounds and are exercising 1.5 - 3 hours per day, you should be eating a lot more than 1300 calories per day.

However, you may be setting yourself up for burnout or injury with that intense schedule. I get wanting the weight off NOW, but it is healthier to think of weight loss as a marathon, not a sprint.

Do eat back at least 50% of the calories you earn from exercise. If you are finding this difficult, eating nutrient dense foods like peanut butter or nuts can help. There's a thread with a list; I'm sure someone will be along to post it or perhaps it is in the stickies.

This one?

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Those exercise amounts look off to me too.
    I'm typing in the exercises and getting the amounts from what mfp says. for yesterday doing 45 min of Zumba (first time too) is 877 calories

Zumba calories are going to vary a lot, and depend on intensity, and what feels intense if you are just starting and are out of shape is way less than what MFP tends to assume. I'd cut that in half.
    54 min of the stair treadmill,general is 1096 (went two different times 24 min=478 30min=598)

I'd cut this in half too, same reason, basically.
    byclyceled 33 min at 10-12mph and it said 438... so do I not need to go off of what mfp says...

Machine counts are usually off, and for stationary bike if you are new to it I'd use stationary bike light intensity. You burn more calories biking outdoors, so have to be careful about what entries you use. Half for this seems reasonable too.

Good rule of thumb is to cut exercise calories in half unless it's something that can be more accurately calculated (like running a certain distance in a certain amount of time). If you are losing too rapidly (more than you expect), you can adjust.

As for calories, yeah, definitely -- with that much exercise you should be eating quite a bit more than 1300, especially at your current size.

As others asked, what activity level do you have MFP at (sedentary?) and what does it say you should eat to lose at your goal (2 lb/week)?
  • Lucas2013
    Lucas2013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, estimations of caloric burn during exercise vary drastically, depending on your gender, age, muscle mass, body fat %, NEAT levels, etc... which is why using fit bit trackers to estimate caloric burn is a bad idea. They should be used to give you a general idea of how active you are and nothing more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

This one?

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Thanks!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Find the maintenance calories for an active person at the top of your normal weight range.

Start eating that amount and exploring more or less how you will be eating long term. I.e. start eating at your future maintenance.

Your exercise and current weight are enough to make the difference a more then large enough deficit.

I would expect you will be eating close to 2500 Cal... and losing weight...