TDEE

Options
So I calculated my TDEE, is that number including the calories I would burn or can I still eat back half of my burned calories?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You do not eat back exercise calories with TDEE since that should have already been a part of the calculation you used. If you didn't include exercise redo it with your estimated exercise amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure...it should include your exercise activity and thus you would get a higher calorie target than you would with a NEAT method calculator that doesn't include exercise activity. If you've included exercise in your activity level, you would be double dipping to log it and "eat back". The only reason you do that with MFP is because exercise activity isn't accounted for in your activity level.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What most people mean by "TDEE" is "Total Weekly Calories." Generally, it means people will tell themselves you're going to do a certain amount of exercise in a week, and then guess how many calories they'll burn from that exercise. Divide by seven and you have a consistent (if inaccurate) amount of food to eat on a daily basis. If that's what you mean by TDEE, you're not supposed to change how much you eat to account for what you actually do; you just assume it up front.
  • robynrstiles
    robynrstiles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! Good to know. I think I'll stop logging my exercises on this app since it adjusts things and log it in a different app
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    Awesome thanks! Good to know. I think I'll stop logging my exercises on this app since it adjusts things and log it in a different app

You can also just log it as one calorie if you want a record of it.
  • robynrstiles
    robynrstiles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Another question, when figuring out my TDEE I marked that I worked out 6 days a week, on my rest day do I still use the same calorie count or should I lower it?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    Another question, when figuring out my TDEE I marked that I worked out 6 days a week, on my rest day do I still use the same calorie count or should I lower it?

Same - eat the same every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Same...it all nets out over time. Basically you're going to have days with a smaller deficit, bigger deficit, no deficit, etc...the net at the end is what matters.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

I think you are using the wrong term for what you mean.

TDEE is what you eat to maintain your weight. MFP won't give you that figure unless you have a goal of zero weight loss.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't think they used MFP to determine this....you can use TDEE and subtract a small amount of calories for weight loss - many of the IIFYM does this