Not good enough?

Options
I am extremely proud of my progress so far. Since Christmas I haven't touched any junk food or fizzy drinks/white carbs at all. I never logged my weight around that time as I felt so guilty (I was 13-14lbs heavier). I had a weigh-in at the beginning of Jan and had lost 5lbs since starting my new healthier lifestyle. A combination of diet and excersize has made me lose another 7lbs since then and it is now March. I'm at the point of struggling to shift my last 5lbs to reach my ultimate goal. I suffer with tremendous guilty feelings even when I fall below my calorie target (which is every day) and I have only indulged in small treats three times this year; for a family birthday, a date night and today. Anyone else feel sickening amounts of guilt for not seeing progress after months of hard work? Or going over calorie count by as little as 100? I know it just takes getting back to eating very clean and working hard in the gym...but I surely can't be the only one who beats myself up with self loathing on a regular basis. I find myself thinking about food and what to eat far too often and can see the temptation to fall off the wagon... and if I ever do it would be catastrophic.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No. This isn't healthy. You seem to have a disordered relationship with food/calories. It's concerning.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a major over reaction. You should not be feeling guilty for going slightly over or because you ate food you like.

I go up to 500 over every weekend and I always eat the food I like. You don't lose weight quicker by not eating white carbs etc.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No this doesn't sound very good. Guilt over little things like that sound concerning.

Ex. I don't eat 100% clean (in fact I eat ice cream and candy almost everyday)... I fall off track sometimes and skip the gym.. I take breaks... I go on vacations..I run bulk cycles.. I have had two babies and bounced back... all of this and I don't feel any guilt and have had fantastic progress.

When you say you are almost at your "ultimate goal" what does that mean and what happens after that?

Maybe it's time to talk to someone if you feel like these feelings are getting out of control.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't stress over it. i wanted chicken wings and beer for lunch and gained three pounds. I ran the last three mornings and lost them. There is alway some yin and yang to this but as long as you don't go off the rails you will survive. Consistently in deficit you will lose so if you do have a bad day you will likely lose it fast. My record was a four day bender in Chicago where I gained ten pounds. My wifi scale when I stepped on it said "welcome guest".
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    One thing that might help, @HappieRosy, is determining what your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is. This the amount of calories your body needs to "run" every day. For example, my TDEE is ~2250 calories per day. I eat approximately 2075 calories per day (I'm on a really slow deficit. Personal goals...blah, blah). Anyway, if I eat 100 calories over, I will eat 2175 calories. Still under my TDEE, which means I'm still losing, just even slower.

You can find your TDEE here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? If you don't have much to lose it goes slowly. If that's your profile pic you look thin.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    There's going to be days where sometimes you meet your calorie goal, there will be days where you go over it, and there will be days where you go under it. There will be days where you're really motivated to go to the gym, and there will be a day that you just want to sit at home. Don't beat yourself up over the small things. No one is perfect and you seem to be doing all the right things. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes.

I would pay less attention to what the scale says and more attention to how you feel. Do you have a lot of energy? Do you like the way you fit into your pants better now? Can you finally wear that top in that size that you want? Don't let numbers dictate your feelings.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to seek help for feeling guilty, it's going to get in the way of living your life. If you don't want to seek someone, try researching self compassion and practicing some of those exercises.
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've been there, feeling overly guilty and having food/exercise/diet be on the brain non-stop.

Fortunately, I no longer suffer. I absolutely had to separate my self-worth/self-esteem from food/weight/diet/exercise.

I also had to re-write a lot of the stories I had about myself and create a solid sense of self that had nothing to do with what I looked like, what I weighed, how many calories I did/didn't eat, etc.

• brxtt
    brxtt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i very much struggle with feelings of guilt when it comes to food, especially now that i've lost majority of my weight and the rest is coming off super slowly. i have to remind myself that this is normal and to trust the process. maybe try not to think about food as just food and think of it more as FUEL for your body. when you're truly hungry, EAT. and even if it goes over, so what? your body obviously needed more fuel! and you can always create a bigger deficit the next day/rest of the week. also, treat yourself from time to time and let yourself enjoy it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Nothing you are talking about needs to involve catastrophe. If you eat more than planned on a given day you don't need to run your whole program into the ditch. Lots of folks do that, but it's a choice. Agree that you have your emotions involved in an unhelpful way.

I read your thread bc of the title- not good enough. I think folks frequently run off the rails because no matter what they do, their brain says not good enough. Take some time to give yourself credit. Make a list if you have to, stand in front of a mirror and talk out loud, tell yourself you've done a good job.

Think problem solving and focus. Go for a walk. You can only spin out of control if you decide to. You can't wake up 1 day 10 lbs heavier. Catastrophe is getting hit by a car. Can't happen in weight loss.

PS perfection is the enemy of good.
  • HappieRosy
    HappieRosy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the insightful conversations that were great to read. I've written a follow up conversation today for anyone wanting to follow! ☺