I have questions about rest days

Options
So I've lost 140 lbs in my journey, and now I'm maintaining and focusing on strength goals. Thing is.. I work out at home.. every day, it's in my routine. I just feel wrong if I don't work out. I've achieved my success through a series of aerobic dance and body weight lifting, piyo, yoga.. really anything. I don't consider my workouts to be too hard core, I don't push so hard that I'm ever very sore, because I love my daily workout. My worry is, am I hindering my strength training by not allowing myself to "heal and rest"? Or are my workouts more of a lifestyle? I do go to the gym once a week or so and push hard there.. but I bounce right back.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Google "overtraining symptoms" and as long as you don't have those, you're golden. :+1:
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Google "overtraining symptoms" and as long as you don't have those, you're golden. :+1:

Thanks!!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do yoga or walking. You can still be active.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do heavy weights every day, but things like the yoga and dance you don't have to worry about overusing or tearing the muscles so they shouldn't need recovery days. It is probably best to do different exercises, to keep it interesting and use a variety of muscles, but it sounds like you do that already.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think it's called active rest. You're OK. B)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 5 days a week...the 2 days that I don't, I'm still pretty active (volunteer at animal shelter, pretty heavy cleaning duties); none of this has interfered with my strength.

Your body adapts over time...
  • kimcalica
    Options

Your body adapts over time...

I really think this has happened in the last 7 years. I have just slowly increased endurance to this point and I know my limits and when to push/not to push..

I do everything by feel, always have. It's wonderful because I remember how hard everything used to be.. I guess part of the "nonstop" is the fear of getting used to any kind of routine "doing nothing" and a decrease in stamina.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I also rarely take a complete day off. I get too fidgety and start driving my boyfriend and dog nuts haha. I lift heavy 4 days a week. Run long 2 days a week, and use Sunday as my active rest day - with an easy 3 miler. Just listen to your body - if you feel like you need a complete rest, take it, otherwise just keep doing' what you're doing.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    I also rarely take a complete day off. I get too fidgety and start driving my boyfriend and dog nuts haha. I lift heavy 4 days a week. Run long 2 days a week, and use Sunday as my active rest day - with an easy 3 miler. Just listen to your body - if you feel like you need a complete rest, take it, otherwise just keep doing' what you're doing.

You and me both! I actually control my bipolar with exercise and if I don't blow off steam, I drive everyone nuts with hypomania. I've found a great balance in exercise but I hate to think I'm damaging myself in doing that.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    kimcalica wrote: »
    So I've lost 140 lbs in my journey, and now I'm maintaining and focusing on strength goals. Thing is.. I work out at home.. every day, it's in my routine. I just feel wrong if I don't work out. I've achieved my success through a series of aerobic dance and body weight lifting, piyo, yoga.. really anything. I don't consider my workouts to be too hard core, I don't push so hard that I'm ever very sore, because I love my daily workout. My worry is, am I hindering my strength training by not allowing myself to "heal and rest"? Or are my workouts more of a lifestyle? I do go to the gym once a week or so and push hard there.. but I bounce right back.

There are so many myths about rest days and "requirements". If you FEEL FINE, and are not overly fatigued (it sometimes feels achy or flu like) then there is no reason to take a rest day. It sounds like you have built endurance for it, and vary it up enough that you can keep going. Let your body be the guide rather than the rules and opinions of others, yet listen to some of the people you trust and take it with a grain of salt. I like to look at every day flowing forward, I have 7 days every week to workout hard, moderate, easy, or rest according to the day and let it roll with listening to what my body needs. Your body tells you when it's time to rest.

Things to always think about?

What is my overall sense of well being and do I have energy as I go about my day?
    Am I strong in my workout?
    Am I recovering well from my workout?
    Do I sleep well?
    Am I overly hungry or binging?
    Am I happy?

Those give you the answer more than anyone else's opinion or theory.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

A lot of the thinking about training load, active rest, recovery and injury risk management depends on your objectives.

Rest is a key component of improvement, but if you're not doing demanding sessions then it may not be material.

For me, in running terms, it's about being conscious of the demand. After back to back 20 milers i might only do 6-8 miles. After a 6 mile session of tempo or sprint intervals I'm more likely to take a day off.
  • kimcalica
    Options

There are so many myths about rest days and "requirements". If you FEEL FINE, and are not overly fatigued (it sometimes feels achy or flu like) then there is no reason to take a rest day. It sounds like you have built endurance for it, and vary it up enough that you can keep going. Let your body be the guide rather than the rules and opinions of others, yet listen to some of the people you trust and take it with a grain of salt. I like to look at every day flowing forward, I have 7 days every week to workout hard, moderate, easy, or rest according to the day and let it roll with listening to what my body needs. Your body tells you when it's time to rest.

Things to always think about?

What is my overall sense of well being and do I have energy as I go about my day?
    Am I strong in my workout?
    Am I recovering well from my workout?
    Do I sleep well?
    Am I overly hungry or binging?
    Am I happy?

Those give you the answer more than anyone else's opinion or theory.

Thank you for this,
    I've developed a lot of good habits over the years.
    My diet is well adjusted.
    I sleep 10 hours a night (I sleep early in order to get up early)
    No drugs or alcohol
    And I'm very body aware.

I do have my slip ups from time to time like anyone, but my bounce backs are epically fast. 2 days max..

• kimcalica
    Options
    That last post came out weird lol
  • brxtt
    brxtt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    active rest days! just do a lighter version of whatever your works usually are. maybe more stretching/yoga on those days. stretching is always a good idea anyways.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    brxtt wrote: »
    active rest days! just do a lighter version of whatever your works usually are. maybe more stretching/yoga on those days. stretching is always a good idea anyways.

I dig yoga as a activity but stretching isn't "always" a good idea. It's not beneficial for lifting heavy weights that you couldn't accomplish better in your warm ups sets with proper programming.
    . My worry is, am I hindering my strength training by not allowing myself to "heal and rest"? Or are my workouts more of a lifestyle? I do go to the gym once a week or so and push hard there.. but I bounce right back.
    OP to answer that we need to know your strength training goals.

If you are only lifting once a week, you aren't going to progress strengthwise.