Post surgery food ideas - no chewing

Options
Hi everyone. This is my first post here and I'm hoping I can get some help and ideas! So I've just had surgery in my ear and it was a more complicated than expected and now I can barely open my mouth and unfortunately I'm not able chew. It's been 48 hours since the surgery and i'm already bored of soup! If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. Thank you!

Replies

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies! Four parts, Greens (romaine, kale, lettuce, spinach, etc), fruit (blueberries, bananas etc), liquid (water, milk, etc), extras (protein powder, chia, flax, greek yogurt, etc).
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    yogurt with blended fruit
    Pudding (chocolate to keep your moral up)
    Smoothies (with a bit of added protein and fat to complete the nutritional make up)
    Cottage cheese
    Oats (cooked until mush) with apple sauce

That's what I can think off of the top of my head.

Good luck with your recovery and best of luck!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Carnation Instant Breakfast is a nice source of nutrition when you can eat. You can also do milkshakes, smoothies, ice cream, pudding, yogurt, jello, applesauce and some types of cereal. Cream of wheat is good and doesn't require chewing.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Check out this lady's blog. It's for bariatric surgery patients, but she has some tips and ideas for pureed foods.
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When my uncle had his jaw wired shut after breaking it he blended everything. Steak, Pizza, etc.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This might be the only time in history that I think a meal replacement shake is a good Idea.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Carnation Instant Breakfast is a nice source of nutrition when you can eat. You can also do milkshakes, smoothies, ice cream, pudding, yogurt, jello, applesauce and some types of cereal. Cream of wheat is good and doesn't require chewing.
    I was just about to suggest carnation instant breakfast. It got me through after a surgery when I had no energy and was mostly on my own. Cream of wheat/cream of rice or polenta or grits are also good ideas, especially if you have some cooking help.

Another thing I do for soft food is eggs poached in chicken broth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not healthy but when I had my wisdom teeth out I ate spagettios!

Ensure drinks or similar might work -everything else I can think of has been listed above.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Kodiak cake pancakes ! They're nice and soft I ate them a lot when I got braces put on and couldn't chew at all. I just cut them up small
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have TMJ and my disc constantly slips out causing extreme pain. As I am close locked I survive on protein smoothies, oatmeal cooked to mush, mashed or blended brocolli/cauliflower/carrots, mashed eggs. I also make super soft protein balls that can be mashed (peanut butter, protein powder, almond milk and almond flour)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
    Milk shakes
    Apple sauce (goes thru straw fine if you use smooth)
    Smoothies
    Kefir
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I'd suggest anything mixed in Greek yogurt.

Smooth peanut/almond butter
    Banana
    Jam
    Applesauce
    Etc.

Good protein for healing.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have TMJ and my disc constantly slips out causing extreme pain. As I am close locked I survive on protein smoothies, oatmeal cooked to mush, mashed or blended brocolli/cauliflower/carrots, mashed eggs. I also make super soft protein balls that can be mashed (peanut butter, protein powder, almond milk and almond flour)

Ugh, I haven't had a bad TMJ attack for over a year. But it's awful. I'm sorry yours flares so much. (Most of the time mine feels like ear infections with swollen glands.)
    (The stuff I mentioned earlier- protein shakes, polenta, cream of wheat or rice, eggs poached in broth, and so on are what I survive on when it's acting up. Last time it was fine until I opened my mouth to bite into an in n out animal style, right before a concert- I teach music)
  • emjeffery85
    emjeffery85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Smoothies are working really well so far and i'm just about managing a really soft omelette. I've tried the meal replacement shakes and they just don't agree with me very well at all.