Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Gardening. WTF? Like everybody has a garden. How many Rebeccas of Sunnybrook Farm can there really be? Nevermind. I better bow out of this gentrified discussion before I get my hand slapped.

LOL! Dude, I can assure you, I am a 100% gen-yoo-wine Indiana Redneck born and bred! I am cracking up because I can't decide which part is the most gentrified...the part where I shovel horse crap, get covered with it, and haul it in bins in the back of my SUV, or the part where my daydreams consist of finding a really old, crappy, rusted 1970s Chevy truck so as to haul even more crap. Some days I get extra fancy and serve up some greens fried in bacon grease and cooked with a ham hock! :D:D:D

Made me laugh, too. I grew up very poor. My parents grew up very poor, too. Nearly everyone I knew growing up was poor. And we all had gardens, in fact, they were considered pretty essential to making ends meet, and dramatically improved our food variety.

If you didn't have a yard, you rented a plot (you can still do this). If you had a yard, you staked out a sizeable portion. Even the least ambitious apartment-dwellers would generally keep several pots of herbs and tomatoes on their porch or balcony. Gentrified? Not hardly. These were not your pretty rose-gardens, they were hard-working plots of land where corn, peas, and squash shared space with strawberries, tomatoes, and onions; and harvest season meant hours of canning and freezing and dehydrating so that you could enjoy the bounty all winter. Generally hot, hard work, and about as far from bourgeoisie as you can get.

I think newmeadow meant that this debate is gentrified,not gardening as such.
    Where I live there are a number of community garden projects in which local families are encouraged to get involved,growing their own produce etc. But we are a relatively small community. Not sure that would work in a densely populated,urban area.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Gardening. WTF? Like everybody has a garden. How many Rebeccas of Sunnybrook Farm can there really be? Nevermind. I better bow out of this gentrified discussion before I get my hand slapped.

LOL! Dude, I can assure you, I am a 100% gen-yoo-wine Indiana Redneck born and bred! I am cracking up because I can't decide which part is the most gentrified...the part where I shovel horse crap, get covered with it, and haul it in bins in the back of my SUV, or the part where my daydreams consist of finding a really old, crappy, rusted 1970s Chevy truck so as to haul even more crap. Some days I get extra fancy and serve up some greens fried in bacon grease and cooked with a ham hock! :D:D:D

Made me laugh, too. I grew up very poor. My parents grew up very poor, too. Nearly everyone I knew growing up was poor. And we all had gardens, in fact, they were considered pretty essential to making ends meet, and dramatically improved our food variety.

If you didn't have a yard, you rented a plot (you can still do this). If you had a yard, you staked out a sizeable portion. Even the least ambitious apartment-dwellers would generally keep several pots of herbs and tomatoes on their porch or balcony. Gentrified? Not hardly. These were not your pretty rose-gardens, they were hard-working plots of land where corn, peas, and squash shared space with strawberries, tomatoes, and onions; and harvest season meant hours of canning and freezing and dehydrating so that you could enjoy the bounty all winter. Generally hot, hard work, and about as far from bourgeoisie as you can get.

Where I live there are a number of community garden projects in which local families are encouraged to get involved,growing their own produce etc. But we are a relatively small community. Not sure that would work in a densely populated,urban area.

To answer the question as to if it would work in a dense city, here are a few of the farms/gardens going on in Chicago.

Englewood is one of the most violent and dangerous neighborhoods on the South Side:

http://growinghomeinc.org/

There is a community garden bringing the green back to Cabrini Green:

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/06/a-garden-grows-in-cabrini-green/

And here is one from Back of the Yards:

http://www.theurbancanopy.org/

There are many, many more, including one in Grant Park (right downtown in the loop), on the roof of the huge McCormick Place convention center, and a beautiful little jewelbox of a mini-farm in Lincoln Park Zoo.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

To answer the question as to if it would work in a dense city, here are a few of the farms/gardens going on in Chicago.

Englewood is one of the most violent and dangerous neighborhoods on the South Side:

There are many, many more, including one in Grant Park (right downtown in the loop), on the roof of the huge McCormick Place convention center, and a beautiful little jewelbox of a mini-farm in Lincoln Park Zoo.

Interesting - thank you, I'll have a look :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

It does. In Dallas, at least, which is unquestionably more spread out than cities on the order of NYC, but still considered a densely populated urban area. The community gardens we have never have empty plots. It'd be nice if we could get more going, but I don't think that'll happen since our real estate demand is soaring.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I saw a report on television about community garden programs in Detroit. The city is allowing a community gardening organization to take over some of the abandoned lots and grow veggies. They have after school programs where they teach the kids about gardening and also get volunteers, and everyone who participates gets to share the spoils, as well as being encouraged to start their own garden as well. It was portrayed as being a huge and growing success, although obviously that makes it a better story so I can only hope it's accurate!

I just started growing tomatoes, peppers, lettuce and chard in containers as I moved to an apartment with a porch finally. When my grandma lived in a trailer park in rural Massachusetts before she passed, she had a beautiful veggie garden there. It's a shame some people see gardening as something only specific types of people can do. And if you can't garden (for physical reasons or because you don't have a yard or a porch), you can join a CSA or at least frequent a local farmer's market in many areas. While there might be people who don't have access to any of that, I think a lot more people could than realize it.

ETA: Also saw something about growing programs in NYC "roof gardening". They basically set up shallow dirt or hydroponic gardens on building rooftops to capitalize on the full sun and wasted space. The miracles of modern technology :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I was going to jump in and say there are lots in Chicago, including in low income neighborhoods, but I see French Peasant did all that for me already. ;-)
  • French_Peasant
    Options

You know what, I assumed you were in Compton, CA because of your name. :) Even if you are not, it is interesting to note that South Central is a hotbed of gardening activities. Here are a couple of other area links that may be of interest.

This one is sad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Central_Farm
    This one is AMAZING: http://urbanhomestead.org/
    This is about Ron Finley, whose quote I posted above: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/how-urban-gardening-can-save-black-communities-511
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I saw a report on television about community garden programs in Detroit. The city is allowing a community gardening organization to take over some of the abandoned lots and grow veggies. They have after school programs where they teach the kids about gardening and also get volunteers, and everyone who participates gets to share the spoils, as well as being encouraged to start their own garden as well. It was portrayed as being a huge and growing success, although obviously that makes it a better story so I can only hope it's accurate!

I just started growing tomatoes, peppers, lettuce and chard in containers as I moved to an apartment with a porch finally. When my grandma lived in a trailer park in rural Massachusetts before she passed, she had a beautiful veggie garden there. It's a shame some people see gardening as something only specific types of people can do. And if you can't garden (for physical reasons or because you don't have a yard or a porch), you can join a CSA or at least frequent a local farmer's market in many areas. While there might be people who don't have access to any of that, I think a lot more people could than realize it.

ETA: Also saw something about growing programs in NYC "roof gardening". They basically set up shallow dirt or hydroponic gardens on building rooftops to capitalize on the full sun and wasted space. The miracles of modern technology :)

Yep, Detroit is another hotbed. Its population has just been eviscerated over the past few decades, and there are so many gorgeous old homes that fall into disrepair and eventually are burned on Devils Night. The city has bulldozed hundreds of houses each year and they can't keep up with it. Some of the farms have caused some friction because they are for-profit farmers who are not members of the community, and get the land for extremely cheap, but it's better to have a farm (and potential jobs) there than a vacant overgrown lot strewn about with syringes and defunct mattresses convenient for all your rapey rapin' needs.

Those who can't garden should make friends with a gardener; those who CAN garden should start a plot or expand their plot, and plant generously for charity. It is also important to note that gardening (digging, weeding, hoeing, wheelbarrowing, hauling water or hose, etc.) is about a 150-calorie burn for half an hour. :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

You know what, I assumed you were in Compton, CA because of your name. :) Even if you are not, it is interesting to note that South Central is a hotbed of gardening activities. Here are a couple of other area links that may be of interest.

This is about Ron Finley, whose quote I posted above: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/how-urban-gardening-can-save-black-communities-511

Ha ha! You're not the first on here to assume that but no, Compton is my surname! I'm on the East Coast of Kent,in the UK
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    My church, located in a neighborhood surrounded by apartments, runs a community garden. There are at least two more of them I know of in our town.
  • French_Peasant
    Options

Ha ha! You're not the first on here to assume that but no, Compton is my surname! I'm on the East Coast of Kent,in the UK

I love that! Well you have an alter ego now: by day, a peaceful tea-sipping Brit in the beautiful rolling green hills of Kent; by night, a West Coast bad@ss!!! <3
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

I love that! Well you have an alter ego now: by day, a peaceful tea-sipping Brit in the beautiful rolling green hills of Kent; by night, a West Coast bad@ss!!! <3

Yup,that's me B)
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I won't attempt to define junk food for anyone else but I ate a lot chips, white bread, hormone-heavy milk, sugar-filled juices, and those fake cupcakes - with the white "stuff" in the middle, as a kid. I have no doubt that my health (and happiness) suffered as a result. I cringe just thinking about it. I'm strongly against the government controlling any of our choices (what a mess they make spending other people's money for them) but maybe banning certain harmful chemicals and preservatives might solve the problem sans tax. (I also donate to a couple of those community gardens in NY and Chicago, mentioned above, run by City Lights and similar charities. Great group!)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    No. Never be an agreement as to what's junk. Vegans will want to tax meat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @katsoslim I too think we can only define 'junk food' for ourselves. As one that likes to go with the least common denominator for me 'junk food' is anything that leads to an increase in my C-Reactive Protein (CRP) levels and that may vary from person to person. A long term high CRP level seems to be the only common root to all types of diseases like diabetes type 2, heart attack, cancer, stroke, dementia, etc.
  • peiotter
    peiotter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Junk food is learned...I am eager to see what happens now that younger folklore not watching TV. Money is invested in advertising, it works holding our thinking about our tastes. Taxes, would train me not to spend money on my personal favourites Lay's potato chips, Skor chocolate bars and gummy bears!
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I wish we could tax stupid. We'd be rich!

Well the thing is that the rich only get a 2% tax over there is usa while over here companies get a flat 30% (Australia). It all used to be half for the really rich companies. While even for the rich half seems a bit overboard that's who should be taxed more. Australia or USA the quality of roads in the ability, to give people all the textbooks they need and health care. Though America doesn't really do non out of pocket health care does it?
    Cigarettes can kill you but have huge tax which hypothetically goes to support the country.
    Alcohol - Bad, expensive, a social thing for non-alcoholics and is highly taxed which supports education, health care and construction
    Soda - over here we're paying about 900% markup from the bought price. So that's a douche move.
    All our numbers are pretaxed here so we never have to think about what we buy the same way though.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    No. Never be an agreement as to what's junk. Vegans will want to tax meat.

Right wrong or indifferent, there is a post earlier on this page that shows what Australia taxes as junk food.