Diabetes and weight loss

Options
is there anyone out there that has type 2 diabetes and having trouble losing weight. I am a women age 60 needing to around 50-60 lbs. but every time I try to stay between 1000 and 1200 calories I don't lose if anything I gain. I can get my bs down but not my weight. getting very frustrated. any ideas

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    That is a pretty low calorie goal. What intake do you maintain at? How long have you accurately tracked at a time?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OP, I strongly urge you to consider joining the mail low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of Ketophiles tend to hang out. Members include those who have T1 & T2D:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I must concur, however, with @4legsRbetterthan2, that is a seriously low calorie level(!!) and you may end up doing more harm than good to yourself (i.e. damaging your metabolism in the long run) by trying to keep yourself in that caloric range.
  • ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My doctor currently wants me at 1200-1400. Do you take insulin? The Dr may be able to adjust your meds that you take less insulin. Insulin puts weight on and is hard to lose.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the fastest way to lower blood glucose levels. The group linked above can help you with that.

I highly recommend the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Its a great LCHF plan for all diabetics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg
  • ReginaOSU
    ReginaOSU Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ImKaren768 wrote: »
    ... Insulin puts weight on and is hard to lose.

This is a very dangerous statement. Insulin does not put weight on. Failing to have a way to utilize glucose causes you to lose weight. High glucose causes damage to almost every body system... Heart, eyes, feet, kidneys... The list is goes on. I appreciate that you said to check with the physician, but that statement is dangerous.

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP, can you please open your diary?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    OP, can you please open your diary?

This.
    Also, what is your height and starting weight.

I am T2Dm and have had no problem losing weight on about 1850 calories. I weigh and measure EVERYTHING (well, I do eyeball my greens for salads) and log it. My exercise is minimal at the moment because of back issues but I do walk about 15 minutes a day and take a gentle activity water exercise class 3 times a week.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ReginaOSU wrote: »

This is a very dangerous statement. Insulin does not put weight on. Failing to have a way to utilize glucose causes you to lose weight. High glucose causes damage to almost every body system... Heart, eyes, feet, kidneys... The list is goes on. I appreciate that you said to check with the physician, but that statement is dangerous.

High levels of injected insulin can cause weight gain in T1Ds and T2Ds.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This is absolutely true! I had to inject insulin while pregnant and I would NEVER do it again. If I had known then what I know today, I would have worked WAY harder to control my GD with diet. Not only did the insulin affect my ability to lose weight, it took us 10yrs to get rid of its affects on the girl I was carrying while I used it. She was 10yrs old before we finally got rid of the weight gain it caused around her middle (you could tell it was not a normal/natural weight gain). Her natural build is that of a twig.

I second, and third, and fourth Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution Book. You will learn so much!! It is what pulled me out of GD (I had a hard time getting rid of it) after giving birth and ultimately helped us fix our DD from the insulin affects.

You may need the insulin right now to help your body, but if you follow Bernsteins recommendations, your doctor will be able to lower your insulin fairly rapidly which will go a long way towards your weight loss. And I concur, you need to fix your calorie intake.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how active? How do you maintain the 1100-1200per day when you attempt it?

Step 1 is move your body more. Even moderate exercise improves your body's ability to use its own insulin if you'e T2.
    Step 2 is pick a reasonable deficit that you can actually stick to. If you'er gaining at 1100-1200/day, you're either really tiny or you're not actually only eating 1100/day. A very big deficit may be triggering you to up your portions and unless you're logging very tightly you might not even know that.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Yes. People have died by playing with their insulin to try to lose weight faster. ImKaren did say to check with a doctor, but there are people who won't and that's what makes it dangerous.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating a moderate amount of carbs and I don't follow Dr. Bernstein's plan.

OP, if you weigh carefully you will eventually lose the weight. When trying to balance out my meals and snacks on 1200 calories a day, I was better off having larger snacks and a light lunch. My lunch would be a soup or salad with a protein. Every snack would include a little protein and fat for staying power.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

This is absolutely true! I had to inject insulin while pregnant and I would NEVER do it again. If I had known then what I know today, I would have worked WAY harder to control my GD with diet. Not only did the insulin affect my ability to lose weight, it took us 10yrs to get rid of its affects on the girl I was carrying while I used it. She was 10yrs old before we finally got rid of the weight gain it caused around her middle (you could tell it was not a normal/natural weight gain). Her natural build is that of a twig.

I second, and third, and fourth Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution Book. You will learn so much!! It is what pulled me out of GD (I had a hard time getting rid of it) after giving birth and ultimately helped us fix our DD from the insulin affects.

You may need the insulin right now to help your body, but if you follow Bernsteins recommendations, your doctor will be able to lower your insulin fairly rapidly which will go a long way towards your weight loss. And I concur, you need to fix your calorie intake.

Insulin does not cause weight gain. Insulin allows the cells to take glucose (sugar) that is in the blood stream. The cells then metabolize the glucose. If you have an excessive amount of glucose in your blood stream, it is likely from eating too much. The extra glucose will be taken up by the cells and stored as fat. If you are not overeating, there will be no extra glucose to be stored as fat.

@ronjsteele1 Did you continue taking insulin after you were pregnant? Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you had gestational diabetes. If you had gestational diabetes, it would have resolved after you gave birth and you would not have needed insulin. I am confused how the insulin would have prevented you from losing weight if you no longer needed to take it after you gave birth

I am concerned that you said you would have worked way harder. The carbohydrate restriction for gestational diabetics is very strict, and from reading that statement I am wondering how much how many changes were made. Also, the insulin didn't cause your daughter to gain weight, high glucose does. High glucose causes very large babies, to the point where mom's can have a 3rd or 4th degree lacerations tearing the tissue from her vagina to her *kitten* because baby is too big for the birth canal. Insulin lowers blood sugars, preventing large babies. If you weren't taking insulin, your baby would have gained even more weight.