Looking for motivation and help as needed for newbie

Options
Tylerman35
Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So that guy I've been talking to said he decided to do once a week check ups. I'm looking for more motivation though and was wondering....

If there is any experienced weight lifters/calisthenics people on here who would want to help me out, check in on me often, motivate me, give me some challenges, etc...

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time to consider investing in a trainer?

Lots of trainers are on here and willing to help people out from time to time, but it's also something they worked hard to gain certification to get paid to do. Asking someone to do their job for free makes you look kind of bad. You may also end up with someone who is a Beachbody "coach" and in that case you're getting what you paid for :D

Seriously though, if you want more motivation and accountability you need to consider paying for it.
  • Tylerman35
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I mean I've thought about it but money is tight. Like right now I have $40 until friday. I don't mean to sound like a cheapskate.

Just looking for voluntary help I guess I should've put
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ther'es a group here called eat, train, progress where you might find some help. assumign you have the ability to film your own lifts so they can be posted.
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lots of programs online, check out bodybuilding.com
  • Tylerman35
    Options
    ther'es a group here called eat, train, progress where you might find some help. assumign you have the ability to film your own lifts so they can be posted.

Yeah I have a school gym I can go to Monday through Friday. And a couple regulars I see there. I want quicker results so I'll incorporate weights also. But my thing is - I always feel weird not knowing how much weight to use on squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc...

Lpaige89 wrote: »
    Lots of programs online, check out bodybuilding.com

I'll have to look at those

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's still asking a lot. You had someone willing to check in with you once per week. There's tons of information in the gaining weight/bodybuilding section and the fitness section. Tons and tons of free advice out there. You don't have the money to invest in a trainer, so you're going to have to learn to do some digging on your own. Very few of us started out with trainers. You live in an age of unlimited information at your finger tips if you're willing to put a little bit of effort in.

This is a good lesson to learn at 18, if you don't have the money for something you're going to have to put a lot more effort into chasing your goals.
  • Tylerman35
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah I figured I would. Like I said, I'm new here. Just looking for people to help provide with the information like on where to start, what to expect, etc... I don't mean to upset anybody by asking this. That wasn't my intention.

I was just asking since I'm completely new to all of this. I wasn't sure of like best spots to look, what to expect, why I'm nervous to find my weight at gym, etc...

I appreciate the hard work that goes into achieving your goals that you want to accomplish!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice from @usmcmp

Weekly check ins with a coach/trainer/friend to track progress is completely normal, expecting more, especially for nothing, is asking a lot.

Learning to rely on your own drive and determination rather than external motivation is important. I've never had a "trainer" perse, but employed coaches - they are encouraging in their own way, but training hard has always been down to me. Sure, there are days I'm not motivated, but knowing that you just have to get in and do it sometimes leads to great sessions!
  • Tylerman35
    Options
    Agree with the advice from @usmcmp

Weekly check ins with a coach/trainer/friend to track progress is completely normal, expecting more, especially for nothing, is asking a lot.

Learning to rely on your own drive and determination rather than external motivation is important. I've never had a "trainer" perse, but employed coaches - they are encouraging in their own way, but training hard has always been down to me. Sure, there are days I'm not motivated, but knowing that you just have to get in and do it sometimes leads to great sessions!

No no I get all of you. I was just basically asking for friends and stuff on here to check in on, motivate each other, and to simply ask questions when needed.

The once per week thing is perfectly fine with me. I'm just a people person, so I do better with more people surrounding me. And by asking stupid questions like this is my way of communicating. Sorry for any trouble
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Starting strength 5x5.
    Follow it for the recommended days a week with the recommended weights, follow the progression scheme.
    Eat 3200 calories a day. Based on weight gain (aiming for .5lbs a week.) add or subtract 250 calories a day whether you're gaining or losing too much weight and continue this till you're gaining an average of .5lbs a week.

I'm sorry to say, but if your goals alone arent enough to keep you motivated then you won't stick with it. If it's not something you love and want to do as often as you can, then why would you want to do it 3-5x a week? If you can't find a reason to do it on your own as a healthy young man. Full of potential then none of us will be able to get you into the gym and push you to test yourself day in day out. You need to find a reason to do it for YOU.

That's my motivational advice. Find a program where you can track your progress. I follow wendler. Every training day im ecstatic about going in and crushing a new rep PR since every training day except for deloads gives you that chance.
  • Tylerman35
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Starting strength 5x5.
    Follow it for the recommended days a week with the recommended weights, follow the progression scheme.
    Eat 3200 calories a day. Based on weight gain (aiming for .5lbs a week.) add or subtract 250 calories a day whether you're gaining or losing too much weight and continue this till you're gaining an average of .5lbs a week.

I'm sorry to say, but if your goals alone arent enough to keep you motivated then you won't stick with it. If it's not something you love and want to do as often as you can, then why would you want to do it 3-5x a week? If you can't find a reason to do it on your own as a healthy young man. Full of potential then none of us will be able to get you into the gym and push you to test yourself day in day out. You need to find a reason to do it for YOU.

That's my motivational advice. Find a program where you can track your progress. I follow wendler. Every training day im ecstatic about going in and crushing a new rep PR since every training day except for deloads gives you that chance.

Awesome, thank you for the reply. I am motivated and ready to hustle. I just need to figure out my weight lifting plan to do. I'll probably do the 5*5 program also