Go-To Foods? Diet staples?

Options
I'm curious what other people consider to be solid staples in their diets?

I always have eggs, deli meat and cottage cheese on hand.

I'm thinking oatmeal might be a good one to add to the list.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I always have vegan jerky, dark chocolate, shredded cabbage, hot sauce, chili paste, vegan mayo, lemons, soy sauce, potatoes, onions, garlic, beans (dry and canned), olive oil, parsley, cilantro, nutritional yeast, canned tomatoes, and apple cider vinegar.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    2 eggs on a mini-torilla with a strip of ketchup is my go to snack, ~250 calories. progresso soups are good too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eggs
    a variety of veg and greens
    fruit
    oats
    lentils
    beans
    quinoa
    potatoes and sweet potatoes
    lots of fish
    chicken
    lean cuts of beef and pork
    nuts

• bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I always have avocados on hand, I can't get enough. I probably have at least one meal that includes avocado every day.
    Tuna and smoked salmon are other big staples for me, although I try to limit my intake somewhat due to the mercury content
    Oatmeal and whole grain pastas, as well as sourdough bread (I just love sourdough, but obviously whole grain breads are good too)
    Certain vegetables/herbs that can be used in lots of different dishes are good to keep in the fridge - for me, it's stuff like green onion, garlic, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, cilantro, and basil
    Fruits like strawberries, mandarins, apples, and blueberries for snacking
    Some kind of reasonably healthy cereal, like rice chex or cheerios, also for snacking
    Seasonings are so important for me. Garlic salt, italian seasoning, parsley, red pepper flakes, etc. When you're trying to eat healthy, seasoning can make such a big difference.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Mixed Greens, creamy ranch/Caesar, croutons, shaved Parmesan, fish, portabella mushroom caps, chicken breast, various veggies for stir fry, buffalo wild wings sauces, goldfish crackers, la croix, and mini drumstick ice cream

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of different things, and it's impossible to list everything I eat on a regular basis. I just make sure I have enough, some food from each food group, and everything I need for that meal before I start cooking/preparing. I love the flexibility, and it's exciting - I'm actually training myself to eat anything now. Not everything... there are some foods I don't like, and some foods I'm never going to eat. But I want to not be dependent on any particular foods, I want to be able to just pick up a food and be confident that I can make use of it. I have access to so many different foods, it's a shame to just stick to the same all the time.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots and hummus, cucumbers, RX bars, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and frozen fruit for smoothies are must-haves for me.
    I prefer steel cut oatmeal to rolled oats - I can make up a big pot ahead of time and it doesn't get gummy like rolled oats (even the old fashioned kind) can.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    eggs
    milk
    bacon
    variety of veg
    variety of fruit
    potatoes
    black tea
    Halo Top

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Meat and vegetables.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My staples are the stuff I need to make my breakfast, my dinner, my bread, my pizza, and my kefir.
    I get a little variety into my breakfast and dinner for weekends. What do call those? Paperclips?
  • indy87colts
    indy87colts Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Isn't deli meat not a great weight loss option because its usually high in sodium ?
    I'm curious what other people consider to be solid staples in their diets?

I always have eggs, deli meat and cottage cheese on hand.

I'm thinking oatmeal might be a good one to add to the list.

Any suggestions?

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Eggs, chicken, deli meat (my BP runs low so my sodium goal is on the high side), cheese, a variety of veggies (usually includes spinach or kale, cucumbers, celery, sometimes bell peppers, carrots), avocados, fish, nuts, dark chocolate, baby dill pickles, unsweetened vanilla almond milk for smoothies.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Fiber One cereal
    Apples
    Oranges
    Tuna and Salmon packets
    Laughing Cow cheese
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    cheese
    coconut oil
    pepperoni sticks
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Some of my favs:
    Ezekiel English muffins
    Almond butter
    Yasso pops
    Apples
    Babybel
    Raspberries
    Special K crustless quiche
    Noosa salted caramel
    Zuchinni Zoodles
  • jrae
    jrae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Apples
    Carrots
    Zuccini
    Chicken
    Cottage cheese
    Unsweetened coconut milk
    Quickoats
    Peanutbutter
    Spinach
    Bananas
    Franks buffalo sauce
    Herbs and spices
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I end up cooking a lot more and exploring more tastes. my "goto" is always garlic and onion with olive oil as a base.. I'm not cooking with curry more and cumin/paprika

mmm
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Broccoli
    Olive Oil
    Kiwi
    Granola Bars
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options