Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ketogenic Diet

LynFaith
LynFaith Posts: 14 Member
I have severe rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis. (for 27 years) I have tweaked my diet and am currently pescatarian. I am going to try the keto diet and am curious about views on it. Please share your pros and cons. :)

Replies

• LynFaith
    edited March 2017
    That is wonderful! I am so happy for you :D I hope that I have equally good results. I have been on biologics for 16+ yrs and still have flares. Hopefully my dietary fine tuning will help. Do you have any resources for recipes? I don't plan on eating dairy or land animals.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    I think it works great for inflammation and autoimmune disorders. I have MS and have been keto for 3 years. I haven't had a relapse since going keto. Do I still have symptoms? Yes. It's not a cure, but it seems to help in stabilizing my condition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I have several autoimmune issues including psoriatic arthritis. It was undiagnosed but active during the time I low carbed. I was in ketosis, but not eating a keto diet.

I never got down to a very low weight and never exercised because counting calories wasn't stressed since the diet was supposed to regulate appetite. It didn't regulate my appetite enough to get my weight low enough to fix my pain.

I have found that exercise and getting to a low BMI through calorie restriction have done more than any particular diet have done for my arthritis.

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with possibly having MS. I have no plans whatsoever of pursuing a change in diet if I get diagnosed. I have a healthy lifestyle and will continue to maintain it to manage that as well.

I'm sorry to hear you may have MS. Wahl's Protocol may be an interesting option for you to look into.

I'm curious about the bolded. You say while you were low carb, that you were in ketosis but not eating a keto diet... The only way I can picture this is if you were eating fairly low calorie while low carb as there is no specific keto diet that I know of. Keto just means that you eat under 20-50g of carbs per day, as I understand it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have lupus and I've been on keto for four months now. I've lost 31 pounds. My skin has cleared up. I can tell the inflammation in my body is drastically reduced. I don't take my anti-inflammatory every day anymore. Right now I'm taking it every third day and feel just fine. For the last three years if I skip a day taking it my knees with ache. I'm not having that problem now. My stomach does not get upset or hurt. I've not had heartburn since I started even though I eat peppers and spicy food all the time. People around me have seen the difference that it is made and how much I enjoy what I eat. Three people at work are now asking me questions all day and have switched to Keto. My son who is special forces in the Army has switched, also. I have tried vegetarian diets in the past and never had these kind of drastic positive healthy changes... especially ones that help with the pain of my inflammation.

@doingitketo that is a very positive and fast results. While I have been Keto for 2.5 years I have not pushed in on others and that includes my wife. I am going to share what it is doing in your health. For controlling inflammation I had started to add Pycnogenol and did some research on it and found it seems to help with Lupus and other conditions as well. Below is what I posted on a MFP low carb thread today in case you every are interested. Best of continued success and welcome to MFP forums.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10525994/anyone-with-hashis-or-any-auto-immune-condition/p3
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have several autoimmune issues including psoriatic arthritis. It was undiagnosed but active during the time I low carbed. I was in ketosis, but not eating a keto diet.

I never got down to a very low weight and never exercised because counting calories wasn't stressed since the diet was supposed to regulate appetite. It didn't regulate my appetite enough to get my weight low enough to fix my pain.

I have found that exercise and getting to a low BMI through calorie restriction have done more than any particular diet have done for my arthritis.

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with possibly having MS. I have no plans whatsoever of pursuing a change in diet if I get diagnosed. I have a healthy lifestyle and will continue to maintain it to manage that as well.

I'm sorry to hear you may have MS. Wahl's Protocol may be an interesting option for you to look into.

I'm curious about the bolded. You say while you were low carb, that you were in ketosis but not eating a keto diet... The only way I can picture this is if you were eating fairly low calorie while low carb as there is no specific keto diet that I know of. Keto just means that you eat under 20-50g of carbs per day, as I understand it.

I was in light ketosis, but my fat/protein ratio was different than keto levels and I certain ate more carbs than that. At least I believe I did. It was a while ago, and my memory is dim.

I'm a vegetarian, I won't be doing the whole Wahls thing. I eat plenty of veg when my IBS isn't flaring. I started doing that 10 servings of vegetables a day thing and really liked it. I was already pretty close with how I already ate. Another reason keto eating isn't an option for me is that I have familial hypercholesterolemia. I have to eat a low fat diet to manage that.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Understandable.

Good luck with your tests.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Understandable.

Good luck with your tests.

They're coming up soon. Thank you.
  • LynFaith
    Thank you everyone! I joined the low carb group. I am feeling very positive about this change.
  • LynFaith

@LynFaith I have had arthritis for 40 years carrying pain levels of around 7-8. Oct 2014 on a hunch I went off sugar and all forms of all grains because the doctors wanted me to start Enbrel injections in 30 days. Just 30 days later my pain level was more like a 2-3 (almost like being pain free after all of these years of pain). Now at 66 and Rx Med free with better health marks than I can remember LCHF is my way of eating for life. Low Carb for me is keeping carbs just <50 grams daily and limiting protein to 70-90 grams most days.

I just got off of Enbrel after 16 years. Now on Humira and having good results, but still prolonged morning stiffness. Better than my near constant flares!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    LynFaith wrote: »

@LynFaith I have had arthritis for 40 years carrying pain levels of around 7-8. Oct 2014 on a hunch I went off sugar and all forms of all grains because the doctors wanted me to start Enbrel injections in 30 days. Just 30 days later my pain level was more like a 2-3 (almost like being pain free after all of these years of pain). Now at 66 and Rx Med free with better health marks than I can remember LCHF is my way of eating for life. Low Carb for me is keeping carbs just <50 grams daily and limiting protein to 70-90 grams most days.

I just got off of Enbrel after 16 years. Now on Humira and having good results, but still prolonged morning stiffness. Better than my near constant flares!

That is good that Humira is working better. I remember when I was considering starting on Enbrel reading of cases when out of the blue Enbrel stopped working for some people. Rotating to different options in this class of drug from time to time may be good anyway.

In my effort to get my CRP levels to .09 or less I have recently added Poly MVA, Artemisin and Pycnogenol to my LCHF pain management solution. So far all three seems to be keeping my pain levels close to 1 now. I have purchased new lab results but have not been to the lab yet for them to draw the blood locally. The male panel was $269 which is just a fraction of what it costs if ordered by my doctor plus the results do not go into the national databases.

lifeextension.com/Lpages/blood2017?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=&sourcecode=PPL602W&gclid=CjwKEAjw8OLGBRCklJalqKHzjQ0SJACP4BHrlkNDnPlQHX2cBUzxB5TQR847h8wcvuhfvEh4TI9gPxoCRkrw_wcB

Low Carb is not magical but it can sure seem that way when it reverses one's downward spiraling health issues. Give yourself a lot of time to figure it out. Best of success.
  • LynFaith
    Need, I also had a persistent gain going. It started about a year ago. I was stable between 140-50 for 3 years, then BOOM! I am so glad to hear that keto is working for you.