Do you do this when you mess up??

Options
So I had my days calories, but then stopped by my moms house in the evening for a visit when she was serving up a full roast beef dinner and ice cream cake. I gave in and ate which put me well over my calories for the day. About 1,000 calories over my daily goal.....

Do you guys try to 'make it up' by eating 300 calories UNDER your goal for the next 3 days???

Or do you chalk it up as a bad day, and get back to your normal calorie goal??

I hate the thought of having this one bad day screw up my entire week of hard work.

What do you do?

Replies

• MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would focus on getting back on track. Trying to make up for it by eating less isn't good for my emotions. Doing extra working out is fair game. That's how I work anyway. Sometimes I go over. I log it in no matter what so I can look back and see if anything is in play emotionally. I have to remember that this is a lifestyle change. 80/20 rule. I mean I am human. Good luck.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up as a bad day and move on. I will usually exercise more just to make sure there's no harm/no foul for the week.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Log it honestly and move on. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I might make a point to be extra active the next day or two (but then I'm generally pretty sedentary so there's lots of room for extra activity in my life. I'm working on it :expressionless:)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think part of this learning to make it a life change for me is that I can splurge but should cut back for the next week and get in my exercise for sure to even it out...otherwise that would happen to me all the time. There will always be something 'special' that will justify me eating over my calories...always some bday or meeting at work, friends who invite us out to eat, etc...if I just chalked it up to a cheat meal or life everytime that happened I would never ever get to goal. I went to curves the first time I ever lost weight and one thing they said about maintenance stuck with me. Continue to weigh weekly and if you ever get 3lbs above goal weight to drop down to 1200 cals til it comes off then go back to maintenance cals. Just a mindset that I think will help me make it a lifetime of maintenance:)
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It's just one day, and this is a lifetime journey. Log it as accurately as possible and maybe try to get a little extra exercise today, but eat your normal plan today. It's what you do most days, over the long haul, that makes the difference.
  • deadenddiva
    deadenddiva Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This quote helps me to forgive myself and to get back on track "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself – and you are the easiest person to fool." Richard Phillips Feynman, an American physicist.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I might cut a hundred calories for a few days if it works out, or I may get just move on. I never try to make up by trying to drastically cut. If I know ahead of time that a big meal is coming I will try to bank some of those calories,........or not. I just don't sweat it. I am basically at maintenance but I have picked up a few pounds and I am easing back down at about .5 per week.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up as a bad day. I've tried warring less the days following a bad day and it turns into a vicious binge eating cycle.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I do tend to cut back on calories a bit in the aftermath, but I'm usually ok with it because I'm still pretty full from the overindulgence. I don't go so far as to make it punishment though.

I don't think it's unreasonable to cut calories back a little for a few days after. It's no different than people banking calories for the weekend in my eyes.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I fast the next day. I want to make sure I make up for the deficit within the next 2 days. I may be called out as being obsessive.. but that's just me :) It's a lesson to myself to be accountable.
  • Islander4Life
    Islander4Life Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone!
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I just enjoy it and go straight back to my calorie allowance the next day
  • VixxyLiss
    VixxyLiss Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it, log it, maybe add a note to your food diary so if you look back sometime in the future you know why it happened and move on.

One day of eating an extra 1,000 calories won't destroy your good record, you enjoyed a family occasion, and tomorrow you get back on track.