Visiting Boston

Options
KyleGrace8
KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
Going to be in Boston in 2 weeks, what are the must sees? Going for a week with my mom, sister and her two very young children (5, 1). Low cost to free. I'm interested in the freedom Trail and some historical sites but we should probably do something the kids will like at some point. Family restaurants (prefer places with gluten free options as I'm intolerant). Parks, shopping, all the tourist stuff. I am googling these things myself but if you have been there or live there you probably know better than google. What historical sites are worth it? Which ones are time consuming? Anything special food-wise that you can only get in Boston? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Go to Salem, Ma as well. Lots to see and do (if ya into witchcraft). If ya have time (not historical) but go to the MIT Museum. Fanueil Hall is a good shopping spot. Mueseum of science is fun for the kids.
  • Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Also go to the Planeterium... Theater in the round is awesome...
  • Romeo1luv
    Romeo1luv Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Check out capecod, the cheers bar which is actually the one from the show cheers on tv and and do some whale watch there, it's great.
  • KyleGrace8
    Options
    Go to Salem, Ma as well. Lots to see and do (if ya into witchcraft). If ya have time (not historical) but go to the MIT Museum. Fanueil Hall is a good shopping spot. Mueseum of science is fun for the kids.

Nice suggestion, my niece did tell me twice that she wants to be a witch when she grows up.
  • KyleGrace8
    Options
    popd98514 wrote: »
    Check out capecod, the cheers bar which is actually the one from the show cheers on tv and and do some whale watch there, it's great.

My mom would probably be interested in the cheers bar since she used to watch it all the time.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If the weather is clear try the observation deck at the top of the Prudential Center. Museum of Science. New England Sports Museum in the TD Garden.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kids museum, aquarium, science museum, duck tour.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    I love Fenway Park.

I've had a lot of fun in the back Bay too.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    If you are there after April 15th, you must take a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Garden.
    https://swanboats.com

And get some clam chowder and fried Ipswich whole-belly clams (not gluten free, I'm afraid)

If the Red Sox are at home, Fenway is a great place to see a ballgame.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Definitely the Public Gardens! Track down the "Make Way for Ducklings" statue and read the book to the kids. Also, Children's Museum and Science Museum (altho I always preferred the Children's Museum in Athol, Mass. Smaller, and more approachable - if you have access to a car). Old Ironside. The NE Aquarium is a MUST, altho not cheap :-(. The North End for old style Italian cuisine and pastries. And Faneuil Hall, as someone said. Walk around the Arnold Arboretum, Forest Hills and/or Mt Auburn Cemetaries (beautiful grounds, lots of famous historical dead people and beautiful statuary). Isabella Gardner Museum (smaller and more intimate art museum than MFA). Castle Island beach in Dorchester. Franklin Park and the Zoo. Larz Anderson Park in Brookline, and the Car Museum. This should keep you busy for a few days. Wishing you good weather. Have fun!