Dieting and exercising but not losing!! In fact gaining weight

Options
I'm getting a little disheartened now as the scales keep going up and I'm being strict with my diet and going to gym at least six times a week

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Are you actually counting calories? If so, how many are you actually eating? How tall are you and what is your current weight?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Calories?
    How are you measuring calories?
    Age, weight, height?
    New exercise routine?
    Visible gains of bodyfat?

Etc etc etc
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    You are new.
    Read the stickies at the top of the sub forums, there is a ton of information that will help guide you.

A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. Put your stats into MFP, weigh all food on a digital scale, eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories, work towards a nutritious diet.

It won't happen overnight.

Cheers, h.
  • Harrison_girl18
    Harrison_girl18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The issue could be simple such as counting calories wrong,not burning as much as you think,ect. But if none of those seem to be an issue you should look into seeing a doctor and let them test your thyroid and certain other things to make sure it isn't a health issue and also you can speak to your doctor about safely taking diet pills to help weight lose. That's what my mom had to do after 4 kids could not lose nor eat Harldy anything without gaining even one small cheat meal she would be up 2 pounds. So she went to a doctor got diet pills , watched what she ate still and went to the gym as many days as possible (4-6) and lost 20 pounds in 3 months. Oh and patients is the key good luck!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The issue could be simple such as counting calories wrong,not burning as much as you think,ect. But if none of those seem to be an issue you should look into seeing a doctor and let them test your thyroid and certain other things to make sure it isn't a health issue and also you can speak to your doctor about safely taking diet pills to help weight lose. That's what my mom had to do after 4 kids could not lose nor eat Harldy anything without gaining even one small cheat meal she would be up 2 pounds. So she went to a doctor got diet pills , watched what she ate still and went to the gym as many days as possible (4-6) and lost 20 pounds in 3 months. Oh and patients is the key good luck!

... Diet pills? What pills did they give her? Legit nothing to do with thyroid if given diet pills and not like.. Any actual medications for health issues.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You lose weight in the kitchen, not necessarily the gym. You need to eat less than you burn. Then you'll lose weight. Hang in there.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters the most important thing for weight loss is calorie counting. In eight months I lost 80 pounds went from approximately 288 pounds to 208. I estimate at most maybe 10 pounds of that was due to excerice. I also went to the gym 5 times a week during that time

unless your training at a crazy level there's no way you could lose dramatic amounts of weight with just exercise

Most important thing in losing weight is calorie deficit. That means you need to weigh your food using a food scale and also log it accurately. You cant guesstimate it and you can eyeball it. Being strict with your diet is a subjective term. You can eat healthy and gain weight or you can eat fast food and lose weight. It's a simple matter of calories good luck