Will I always need a scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with some of the other posters. For me it's become part of my normal day. I look at it this way weighing the food it's a small price versus where I was and where I know I am. I don't want to go back

Look at it this way it won't become part of your normal day. I don't weigh everything some stuff I bought you will eventually figure stuff out but it's a small price to pay would extremely large benefits. One of the previous posters stated it look at it as a simple solution to a chronic condition
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for years and I still measure out meats, cereal, bread fruits and most fats. What I eyeball more is veggies. Anything prepackaged liked Healthy Choice meals and protein bars I don't measure and it hasn't caught up to me yet.
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will never stop logging my food. It's something I have to do, to manage my weight - I know this and I am fine with it. Weighing my food goes along with that. Nothing unrealistic about it, in my opinion. So, for me, I will always need the scale.

This is depressing to read. You're basically a slave in this scenario.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I will never stop logging my food. It's something I have to do, to manage my weight - I know this and I am fine with it. Weighing my food goes along with that. Nothing unrealistic about it, in my opinion. So, for me, I will always need the scale.

I disagree. That's like saying that someone who's nearsighted is a slave to glasses and should strive to figure out how to live without them. Why eschew a simple tool that gets the job done easily and effectively?

Are you depressed by the prospect that you'll need to shower on a regular basis for the rest of your life?

Many people can figure out how to eat intuitively and maintain weight without logging or weighing. That's great and more power to them. Those who can't do that should not be looked down upon when they choose to use the tools available to them. I'd much rather take 20 minutes per day to weigh and log than to have my weight creep upward year after year.
  • GaveYouPower
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

I disagree. That's like saying that someone who's nearsighted is a slave to glasses and should strive to figure out how to live without them. Why eschew a simple tool that gets the job done easily and effectively?

Are you depressed by the prospect that you'll need to shower on a regular basis for the rest of your life?

Many people can figure out how to eat intuitively and maintain weight without logging or weighing. That's great and more power to them. Those who can't do that should not be looked down upon when they choose to use the tools available to them. I'd much rather take 20 minutes per day to weigh and log than to have my weight creep upward year after year.

I get your analogies however they don't exactly equate to what we're talking about here. One is a physical impairment the other is a psychological one. Very different.Now I'm not saying you must quick tracking in it's totality in one day. That's absurd. I'm saying one can get help to return to a state to which such individual has a healthy relationship with food.
  • seska422
    Options

I get your analogies however they don't exactly equate to what we're talking about here. One is a physical impairment the other is a psychological one. Very different.Now I'm not saying you must quick tracking in it's totality in one day. That's absurd. I'm saying one can get help to return to a state to which such individual has a healthy relationship with food.

They do equate. How is obesity not a physical impairment? Any and all tools that work for people should be used and none of those tools are somehow less "moral" than the others. Why should I constantly worry if my calorie balance is correct when I can easily track it?
  • GaveYouPower
    Options

They do equate. How is obesity not a physical impairment? Any and all tools that work for people should be used and none of those tools are somehow less "moral" than the others. Why should I constantly worry if my calorie balance is correct when I can easily track it?

You do know obesity is a psychology problem at it's root right?

At the end of the day everyone should use any tool they feel will enrich their lives. My only point was no one needs to a slave to tracking - there is hope.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    So are psychology problems any less valid?
  • seska422
    edited March 2017
    Options

You do know obesity is a psychology problem at it's root right?

At the end of the day everyone should use any tool they feel will enrich their lives. My only point was no one needs to a slave to tracking - there is hope.

Whether it is or isn't, the "cure" is to control calorie intake and to keep doing so over time. People who have and face their psychological issues but still eat excess calories won't lose weight. People who figure out a way to control calorie intake that works for them (be that through surgery, tracking, intuitively, or a combo of those) are successes. It's not cheating or using the easy way out or any negative connotation to keep logging and weighing if that works for the person.

I'm excited to have found a tool that works, not feeling hopeless about using it now and in the future.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Who knows. You ned one now and so do I. The future will be different and technology may change.
  • seska422
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Who knows. You ned one now and so do I. The future will be different and technology may change.
    I keep hoping for a Star Trek tricorder that I can wave at my plate and have it record all sorts of relevant data.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that there is no guarantee that the website / app will be around forever, or that it will always be free. Which is one of the reasons I don't want to rely on it too much, even though I do find it a useful tool. (Especially when I was first starting out and constantly getting shocked by how many calories were in this or that food.)

You just never know on the internet.
  • seska422
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I also wanted to add that there is no guarantee that the website / app will be around forever, or that it will always be free. Which is one of the reasons I don't want to rely on it too much, even though I do find it a useful tool. (Especially when I was first starting out and constantly getting shocked by how many calories were in this or that food.)

You just never know on the internet.
    This is very true. Just ask the people who used Calorie Count. Don't expect a certain program to last forever.

I'm double-logging right now on MFP and on a downloaded calorie counting program called DietOrganizer. Some people use Excel to track intake and crunch numbers. If push came to shove, I could move to index cards for each food's nutritional info and a notebook for daily recording. The last thing I want to do is regain this weight again and I'll do whatever I need to do to keep it off.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. I have NEVER weighted anything and don't even own a scale.
    I can eyeball things out and and can use a measuring cup to see what is a cup of food.
    If I buy food,and the label says it's 1 pound I can estimate that a fourth of the package is 4 oz.

Have never had an issue losing weight by estimating food quantities, I probably,figure on the low end.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I found MFP (including weighing and logging correctly for months) a very effective tool, along with other great tools, like the hunger scale, certain books, articles, videos, to achieve a healthy relationship with food. I lost 50 pounds, and more importantly (because I had lost weight before, too) I learnt how to keep weight off effortlessly. I don't track calories anymore, but I do weigh a lot of my foods; this is not so much for the calories (I generally started to eat better, not just stop overeating, because of the stressfree enviroment MFP provided, and it is more difficult to overeat on a nutritious diet), but for meal planning, to be able to eat balanced and varied and fresh food, while at the same time save money. Meal planning is necessary for me to navigate a challenging food enviroment and it ensures my relationship with food stays healthy. Calorie counting is just a more accurate meal planning, and is necessary for many others to eat well.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    ksmommy5 wrote: »
    I am meticulously weighing everything for the last 65 days.
    When did you stop weighing your foods? I really hope I will not need to weigh everything forever...that doesn't seem like a realistic lifestyle change. I can't picture myself at 70 busting out the scale for my 5 almonds lol
    When did you become confident enough in eyeballing accuracies?

Almost 4 years down the line and I still weigh everything lol

Some people judge intuitively but I cant so my scale will be there with me when I am 70 ...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh everything to lose weight - just calorie dense items.

Now at maintenance I don't log at all or weigh anything apart from my porridge (precision helps to avoid boiling over in the microwave!).

I'm not an intuitive eater at all as my intuition would lead me to overeat by about 500 cals a day. You can still be calorie aware without logging or weighing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 years in and still weigh everything. I'll do the odd week when I don't (because I'm not at home), and then I overestimate everything, but it's easier to just weigh, frankly. When I weigh, I don't have to worry about whether I can fit that cookie or not if I really want it, you know? But after 5 years of this, I do have a better idea of how many calories are in things, and what a portion size is.

That being said, 100 calories is an extra 20 minutes walk. My TDEE can go from 1600 to 2800 depending on how active I am. That will make a much bigger difference than a 100 calorie difference will.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have very specific fitness goals, so I will weight everything for the foreseeable future. This is due to wanting a particular body composition. I like the security of logging though because I have had problems with binge eating in the past. It gave me a negative relationship with food and guilt over eating certain things. When I know food fits into my daily calories, I don't have the guilt issues with eating things and I am emotionally much better off. Everyone is different though.