Why do people lie about the calories?

denee05
denee05 Posts: 15 Member
On my blue bunny frozen yogurt it says 140 calories for half a cup. On here it says 100 calories. I find errors like this often. Why does this happen?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It may have been 100 calories previously, or in another area of the country. Or, yeah, people are disappointing and don't care what they put in the database.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Sadly there are many, many errors in the database. Always double and triple check the nutritional info before you log it in your daily food diary.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Maybe each 1/2 cup has different g or ml quantities. Go by the digital measurement.

Cheers, h.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    On the off chance I can't get my free range eggs, once on a while I get eggs from "The Happy Egg Company". Someone on here (the default entry, I might add) listed a serving (one egg) as having 25g of FIBER. Hello, what?!! Check, & check again.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    I would guess the lower Calorie one was a fat free version and the person who entered it did not put fat free in the name. There are other entries for that brand; check the grams of fat for each one, and see if they are different.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Another error is people (rightly) will enter the calories for 100g but the serving is actually 125g and so you have to enter 1.25 as your consumed amount. I expect that also trips people up.

I am still irrationally bugged by so much cups talk on the forum and in the database entries.

The ice cream in Newfoundland/Labrador only has 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. I've yet to find a grams weight for ice cream that is consistent across all brands and flavours.

OT: just correct the entry with the current info.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Another error is people (rightly) will enter the calories for 100g but the serving is actually 125g and so you have to enter 1.25 as your consumed amount. I expect that also trips people up.

I am still irrationally bugged by so much cups talk on the forum and in the database entries.

The ice cream in Newfoundland/Labrador only has 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. I've yet to find a grams weight for ice cream that is consistent across all brands and flavours.

Oh they do that here too mostly but just with mls because cups aren't used ever. I don't understand, am I supposed to melt the ice cream in order to get a correct serving (sarcastic).
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Can we also hunt down and ban people who put in fluid measurements for solid foods? I was trying to put in plain-old tomato slices (for my burger) and found "diced tomatoes" measured in cups and fluid ounces (fl oz). TOMATOES ARE NOT A FLUID! THEY ARE SOLID! Fluid ounces is NOT the same as weight ounces. GAH!

Some cans have the measurement of fl. oz because the diced tomatoes are in water. That might be where you're seeing that from.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    This is why I never use MFP. I prefer Cronometer.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member

Oh they do that here too mostly but just with mls because cups aren't used ever. I don't understand, am I supposed to melt the ice cream in order to get a correct serving (sarcastic).

I bought a #8 food scoop just for ice cream.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It may have been 100 calories previously, or in another area of the country. Or, yeah, people are disappointing and don't care what they put in the database.

All of these. Usually I find there is a whole list of whatever food I am looking for and one of them will usually match. Quite often the difference in prepared stuff comes from changes the maker made to their recipe over time. I had one brownie I used to enjoy that originally was right around 100 calories, but eventually changed to 140, so a very similar change in calories. The change was all due to a remake of the recipe making them "new and improved" which I didn't think described the increase of calories.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

I bought a #8 food scoop just for ice cream.

A what now?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    Can we also hunt down and ban people who put in fluid measurements for solid foods? I was trying to put in plain-old tomato slices (for my burger) and found "diced tomatoes" measured in cups and fluid ounces (fl oz). TOMATOES ARE NOT A FLUID! THEY ARE SOLID! Fluid ounces is NOT the same as weight ounces. GAH!

Some cans have the measurement of fl. oz because the diced tomatoes are in water. That might be where you're seeing that from.

I've seen that happen for foods that don't have any fluid - such as some of the white rice entries and one of the spinach entries.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited March 2017
    lkpducky wrote: »

I've seen that happen for foods that don't have any fluid - such as some of the white rice entries and one of the spinach entries.

Some of the volume measurement serving size choices are the direct result of MFP's misguided and unfortunate decision about two years ago to introduce an "enhanced" feature to convert serving sizes automatically from cups to milliliters and fluid ounces when some food items are created (or verified), regardless whether the conversion passes the "common sense" test.

In the US, the serving size for many solid items are provided as a portion of a cup. The cup serving size is listed on the Nutrition Facts label, usually with the number of grams in parentheses associated with that volume measurement. When some food items are created or verified with the cup information instead of the gram information, the MFP conversion algorithms assume it is a volume measurement and the software algorithm automatically converts that to milliliters and fluid ounces, and then provides an additional choice for 1 milliliter and 1 fluid ounce.

MFP may have discontinued this, but quite a few of the entries that were created using this algorithm are still in the Food Database.