Yoga Class at 300lbs?

Considering going to a yoga class as I want to make the most out of my new gym membership and I absolutely love yoga but usually do it at home to a video...
I love the whole fitness class environment though, doing it with other people but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about going to a class as I'm not that flexible right now. (And yeah, I see the irony in that because I know that doing it will certainly make me more flexible...)

There's a beginner class nearby that I'm considering going to and it's free with my membership, but wondering if it's perhaps a bit too adventurous the now given the stage I am at in my journey (sitting at 305lbs) and how unfit I am.

But then I think about the water aerobics class I've been going to and how much stamina and strength it requires as it's basically switching between strength/cardio in circuits nonstop for 45 mins and I seem to get through them pretty well. And then again I consider that with it being in the water, it's supporting my weight more and stuff..

Any advice?

Replies

• KhadijahOwos
    KhadijahOwos Posts: 40 Member
    I guess that's all I can do! And at least if I don't like it or it's too difficult just now, I don't need to go back. Thank you!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    The few time I've tried it, there were definitely moves I couldn't totally do so you just modify how you need to. Especially in a beginner class, chances are the teacher will say to do that. And if you've been doing it at home, you're one step ahead! Enjoy - you've inspired me to maybe give it another try!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    In life you will have more fun if you power thru the feeling alkward. Know that everyone feels alkward doing something new. Power thru and you will have fun.
  • KhadijahOwos
    Thanks guys! I think I will give it a go :) What is there to lose? Except weight! :D
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    You can definitely do it!!! Good for you for already doing the water aerobics class. I used to be around 345 lbs and I did aqua aerobics classes and beginning yoga classes. The only thing I had to do different than the rest of the people in the yoga class, was to put something under my head, because of upper back fat,...so that my head was not bending backward, when we did yoga stuff while laying on our backs.

I'm glad you enjoy being around everyone at the gym. I love that too. Keep up with the classes. Pretty soon, you will be able to do some aerobics classes.
  • mandybee2012
    mandybee2012 Posts: 3 Member
    I've been the biggest girl in the yoga class, and I say try it!

It's easier said than done, but try focus on yourself, being present, and doing what's working for you on that day. It does no good to compare yourself to what anybody else in the studio is doing. You might be able to do every pose as described, you might have to only go halfway with some of the movements, and you might have to sit certain poses out. You're still doing it "right" as long as you're listening to the forms the instructor describes AND your body. Especially your body! You shouldn't feel pain. Stretching a little past your comfort zone is good but if it straight up hurts, you need to ease up.

Good luck!
  • KhadijahOwos
    amy_kee wrote: »
    You can definitely do it!!! Good for you for already doing the water aerobics class. I used to be around 345 lbs and I did aqua aerobics classes and beginning yoga classes. The only thing I had to do different than the rest of the people in the yoga class, was to put something under my head, because of upper back fat,...so that my head was not bending backward, when we did yoga stuff while laying on our backs.

I'm glad you enjoy being around everyone at the gym. I love that too. Keep up with the classes. Pretty soon, you will be able to do some aerobics classes.

Hey, thanks for your encouragement! I really appreciated your reply. I'm glad to hear that it worked for you! It's given me a bit more confidence to go in and try it myself, so thank you! :)
  • KhadijahOwos
    I've been the biggest girl in the yoga class, and I say try it!

It's easier said than done, but try focus on yourself, being present, and doing what's working for you on that day. It does no good to compare yourself to what anybody else in the studio is doing. You might be able to do every pose as described, you might have to only go halfway with some of the movements, and you might have to sit certain poses out. You're still doing it "right" as long as you're listening to the forms the instructor describes AND your body. Especially your body! You shouldn't feel pain. Stretching a little past your comfort zone is good but if it straight up hurts, you need to ease up.

Good luck!

Thank you for your kind words! I will keep that in mind :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I am super inflexible and also overweight and I have gone to yoga classes. Especially a beginner one, everyone has to start somewhere and most people appreciate that you are trying. Plus yoga people are all zen and stuff, they have to be nice :wink: A good instructor should be able to give variations of poses if you arent quite able to make one and my gal always encourages you to do the best you can and take breaks as needed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    edited March 2017
    Any beginner yoga class I've ever been to have been fine for larger/less flexible people. However, you could share your concerns with the teacher ahead of class or just listen to your body and not force it.

Here's my favorite yoga transformation story, about a disabled veteran who was told he would never walk without braces again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc
  • bertygriffith
    bertygriffith Posts: 48 Member
    Definitely give it a shot!
  • srosenthal1225
    srosenthal1225 Posts: 44 Member
    Try a restorative yoga class and askahead for modifications to poses .. there is chair yoga, also ask for modifications using bolsters , bricks and belts ... any good yogi will be thrilled to help you enjoy yoga. Namaste
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    True story... at 235 I decided to go to a yoga class. It was my first time I was nervous and almost backed out but I went. I was the biggest and the most out of shape but a woman farted pretty loudly in class and oddly enough it made me feel ok:) like being fat wasn't the worse thing that day:).
  • KhadijahOwos
    Thanks everyone for your kinds words! It has really given me better confidence in myself to go to the yoga class! :)
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Just do it :)
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    I started Belly Dance classes at 285 lbs with arthritis in my hips, knees, and ankles. I told the instructor about the limits and she worked with me to do what I could. I took classes for 3 years until I broke my foot and was on rest for 2 months. I was able to do almost all the exercises before my injury even though some had to be modified. Talk to the instructor and get some modifications if needed. I wish I could go back to belly dance but we moved out of state and there isn't a class in my town. Good Luck and Enjoy.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    See if you can catch the yoga teacher before the lesson for a chat and to flag up that you might need some modifications. If it's a good class, the teacher will usually ask if there are any newbies before the class starts anyway - this gives first timers a chance to say hello and explain any injuries or concerns. Yoga is for everyone - good luck and enjoy it!