Looking For Hypothyroidism Friends

Options

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm have hypothyroidism secondary to lithium use. This is a 'side effect' for about 30% of people who take lithium and can be so profound that lithium is often used to treat some kinds of hyperthyroidism.

I had an increase of around 20% of my body weight precipitated by a string of psych medicines and the suppression of my thyroid function.

I was unable to shift the weight until I was removed from a particular class of psych drug and treated for my hypothyroidism.

Since the med changes and addition of thyroxine, I have been able to get back to my pre medication weight.
  • myshelle1985
    myshelle1985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I recently learned my thyroid levels are a bit out of wack and the doctor started me on Synthroid 50mcg. I haven't been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism as of yet. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS, but my current labs and diagnostics don't reflect I have it. My hubby and I are trying to get preggers and the doctor said my TSH is double what it should be. I'm also trying to lose a bit of weight to be ready for a healthy pregnancy.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I almost, probably do envy those of you who live in the US, anywhere but Europe, almost, in the UK to generalise, we are not permitted anything other than t4 supplements! T3 deemed ineffective and expensive, t3 testing is not encouraged even though, best practice states, before starting t4 treatment t3 levels should be observed. (Dairy- can be present in t4 supplements, finding one here is impossible because our nhs tests for allergies are not as hot as other countries are able to use. The first time I tried t4 it made me more ill, took me back to where I was before I had to go in for dietary exclusions but not the common ones like dairy. My doctor told me it was not possible) Natural thyroid is not available either because its old medicine, its the only way I can understand it, the balance t3 to t4 is said to be wrong and the worst production is not "regulated", when it has to be because it is a medication. We have this organisation NICE which tells our NHS where to spend its money and not. Other treatments may be available if you can find a private doctor but one would have to be prepared to travel great distances. Those who have tried to speak out for those who do not respond to t4 only find themselves falling fowl of the prevelent orthodoxy and shunned by the medical profession who take the simplistic view.

I have come to the conclusion many doctors do not consider the role of diet, vitamins, minerals, etc. in the conversion of t4 to t3 its more active form. T3 is needed by every single cell and is sometimes referred to as the spark of life and is also know as the brain hormone! It has been mentioned above vit d and vit b deficiencies have an impact on our health but it also takes selenium and other minerals to aid conversion, not all of us are able to convert well, some, that is fewer have genetic obstacles, other as I indicated lack the best vit, min, values for good health. Others have developed issues on the htp axis which puts the thyroid into a slump taking it down. There are upwards of 300 possible symptoms, (including low stomach acid and reduced digestive enzymes), which a low thyroid person can present with, probably with antibodies too, can have are all too easily dismissed by medics who can attribute them other problems or dismiss them altogether as psychosomatic.

I like to read from, the thyroid mom, she has a very comprehensive website of current "thyroid" thinking. There are others too which bring us good information. STTM, as mentioned has been said to prefer Natural Thyroid as its choice of medication, but there is a wealth of information there. Our Thyroid UK is good too.

I'm not at g-weight but as I have made the changes I have come down substantially. I noticed most of the above posters with the exception of the young lady without a thyroid or those with tt have come to this late. Recently I have read trauma in the pre and post birth period up to 6 - 12 months can upset the apple cart. I think this is me, my symptoms go way, way back. Add, considering I'm in my 7th decade, free use of antibiotics which contribute to leaky gut by killing off the beneficial and problematical microbe/bacteria, the cause of the health problem for which it is being, a permiable gut permits foods to pass through the semipermeable membrane of the digestive tract which contributes/cause the instances of antibodies present in Hashimoto's, imv an ever decreasing circle. Doctors do not tend to test for antibodies because there is nothing which can be done, rubbish. Many find relief when they restore their digestive function by improving transit and digestive biome. It can be far from simple.

Dieting itself is detrimental to thyroid health because living at a calorific deficit can contribute to low vit, min levels and also down regulates the metabolism. Thyroid, pituitory, adrenal imbalance down regulate the metabolism too, its a very difficult problem, a double hit. Many of you above can stop this bus not quite in its tracks because it is later onset. For someone who has early onset, I became virtually housebound by it, the joint pain, breathing problems, indigestion, reacting to everyday chemicals and dietary restrictions, being unable to digest ordinary foods containing phenol-s, among other things and some of that hinged on low vit c and b to make DAO. Its far from as simple as we are led to believe.

Its not all plain sailing in the US, I know but you stand more of a chance of getting the support you need.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg,

from what I've read, it's only been recently that endocrinologists in the US have finally started coming around to the use of NDTs - I know I've seen several articles in the past arguing against them, mostly for the "it's not consist medicine", and touting the supposed benefits of "synthetic" hormones. It seems to only be recently that a shift in the paradigm has started to change, thank goodness! I say that only to encourage you guys to keep up the fight - the medical community is like a big boulder, and sometimes it takes a lot of pushing to get them moving in the right direction! :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    thank you, I think.
  • ReKimberly
    ReKimberly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info here, thank you! My Endo visit is finally scheduled for the end of March, feels so far away.
  • leangreenjen
    leangreenjen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am newly diagnosed with hypothyroidism too, and suspect I have undiagnosed hormonal imbalance or PCOS. Would be very happy to add you ladiea while I work on losing thirty pounds and managing chronic pain too! Sent a few requests while reading this thread and feeling nothing but relief. So glad I am not crazy or alone!
  • Gigi102171
    Gigi102171 Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Tested with low T3 & T4 last fall & was put on Levothyroxine. Have my second Dr visit in the morning to try & figure out exactly what I need. New here so nice to find others who are in the same boat. I've always fought my weight but now it won't even budge so hoping this tracker & the right meds get me in the right direction. Please feel free to add me & let's share ideas, setbacks, plans & successes!!
  • duchessofjunk
    duchessofjunk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Graves and weight loss has been a real struggle for me. I've been in remission for nearly nine months, but can't lose weight and I'm frustrated! Add me please!
  • sarahills
    sarahills Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid and have to take 175mcg of Thyroxine per day. I've recently shed 35 pounds so it is possible to do it but appreciate everyone is different. Exercise has elevated my metabolism I'm sure. Good LUCK everyone.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    One of the biggest problems I've found with being hypothyroid, is that exhaustion and fatigue make it so very difficult to exercise, makes my joints stiff, and I'm even more exhausted after I try than before I started. I hate working out with a passion anyway, so throw in fatigue on top of that, and my willpower evaporates! I had a halfway decent walking regimen going for a while, but that eventually petered out because I never felt better; excercise doesn't leave me feeling energized; it just leaves me sore, hot, and tired. So when that's all I get out of it, it becomes very difficult to stick with it.

I like working outside in the yard in the spring, trimming bushes, cleaning up from winter, planting, pushing mowing my grass, weed-eating - I'm even hand-digging a ditchline! - and all this counts as exercise I know and can be just as effective as any workout, but the second wammy I'm also dealing with is a sensitivity to heat. Because I had thyroid cancer, my endo has my TSH extremely low - down to 0.01 at one point! - so I should be showing signs of hyperthyroid, but I'm not; I still have most of the hypo symptoms, all except for the heat sensitivity. When the temps start getting up into the upper 70's and low 80's F, I wilt and fade fast, which makes the fatigue 10 times worse.

So for anyone else who struggles to exercise, I definitely empathize - I'm there too! I'm hoping that I can get onto the NDT medication soon to see if that makes a change; I know that if I can get into walking again, it will help in my fight to lose weight. Right now, I'm doing good just by counting calories, but I know that eventually, that's going to plateau if I don't get exercise in, too - its just so very, very difficult to inspire myself to do something I detest!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - my endo/primary care keeps my TSH really how (.045 right now) and my T4 high because of the type of thyroid cancer I had

if you have that fatigue/exhaustion - then your levels aren't optimized yet - no matter what your endo tells you (It took me forever to find a doc that would actually listen to me). You could also ask about a T3 supplement - although many docs seem hesitant to prescribe that.

also ask your pharmacy about the formulation in your synthroid/levo - different companies can have slightly different formulations which can wreak havoc. Personally, I can't take synthroid, but I'm ok on the generic (my TSH dropped from 3.5 to .45 in the 2 months since my doc switched me back - I started on levo when I first had my surgery)
  • ReKimberly
    ReKimberly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Added new people from comments, if I missed anyone I'm sorry! Hope everyone is having a good weekend!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - my endo/primary care keeps my TSH really how (.045 right now) and my T4 high because of the type of thyroid cancer I had

if you have that fatigue/exhaustion - then your levels aren't optimized yet - no matter what your endo tells you (It took me forever to find a doc that would actually listen to me). You could also ask about a T3 supplement - although many docs seem hesitant to prescribe that.

also ask your pharmacy about the formulation in your synthroid/levo - different companies can have slightly different formulations which can wreak havoc. Personally, I can't take synthroid, but I'm ok on the generic (my TSH dropped from 3.5 to .45 in the 2 months since my doc switched me back - I started on levo when I first had my surgery)

I'm the opposite - I can't take the levo and am currently taking the Synthroid name brand. I had my thyrodectomy back in January 2014, and my current TSH is 0.058 - checked last week. I'm still working with the doc to reschedule the appointment that she canceled at the first of February, trying to work it in along with the thyrogen shots that she wants me to take in the spring as part of the thyroid cancer followup - and that shot will probably wreak havoc with my system for a few weeks after that. I am definitely going to switch to the natural as soon as I can get an appointment to see her.

On the plus side, I've managed to drop 30 lbs since I started the diet, and I'm watching my sugar intake and my potassium intake, and I have noticed that I'm starting to feel marginally better this time around, so perhaps my fatigue has been a combination of things!

Course, matters would be improved if I could figure out how to fit more sleep in a night..... lol
  • kimishah15
    kimishah15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Please add me!
    I am hypothyroid with Hashimoto and need friends for motivation to hit the gym again!
  • allybuddy
    allybuddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Was put on Levothyroxine in January and have since gained 5lbs. I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I work out 4 days a week and eat a relatively healthy diet. If anything I should be loosing weight. I was wondering if Hypothyroidism has something to do with this gain. My Dr said that gaining weight shouldn't be happening, my levels look good and that my body may be trying to adjust.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'm the opposite - I can't take the levo and am currently taking the Synthroid name brand. I had my thyrodectomy back in January 2014, and my current TSH is 0.058 - checked last week. I'm still working with the doc to reschedule the appointment that she canceled at the first of February, trying to work it in along with the thyrogen shots that she wants me to take in the spring as part of the thyroid cancer followup - and that shot will probably wreak havoc with my system for a few weeks after that. I am definitely going to switch to the natural as soon as I can get an appointment to see her.

On the plus side, I've managed to drop 30 lbs since I started the diet, and I'm watching my sugar intake and my potassium intake, and I have noticed that I'm starting to feel marginally better this time around, so perhaps my fatigue has been a combination of things!

Course, matters would be improved if I could figure out how to fit more sleep in a night..... lol

Did thyrogen pre-RAI - I kept working out but recommend dialing it back - I had to do a few mad dashes to puke
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism as well. i'm 26 and I got diagnosed when I was 14. I guess I'm on the less common end of people with low thyroid because I'm actually very thin and I have a very high metabolism. However, aside from way, I can totally relate to a lot of the other side effects and issues that come with hypothyroidism. I personally think the most important thing is finding a medication that works for you, and getting the correct dosage. And of course making sure you're taking your medication every day. I was on Synthroid for years, and when I switched to levothyroxine I noticed a complete change in my energy level.
  • snowboardermom
    snowboardermom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Add Me! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's after my second child was born. I was 33. I'm 49 now and have been on Armour Thyroid ever since.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hypo here , I'm on T3 only as I have a conversion issue. Feel pretty good when medicated but still have my super off days sometimes . Would love friends ! I know the crappy feeling