Sardines?

Options
2»

Replies

• mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Love sardines especially in hot sauce, high in sodium but other than that I do not worry about the mercury.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Love sardines especially in hot sauce, high in sodium but other than that I do not worry about the mercury.
    Trader Joe's has sardines in water with no salt added, and I've found a large can in tomato juice that has a similar sodium content per serving. (Serving size is similar)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You should try fresh (not canned) sardines. They're delicious grilled.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @yellingkimber I had the exact reaction to anchovies (and I too was afraid sardines would make me cringe)...just tried brisling sardines yesterday and really liked them. Wanted to try kippers, but they were out of them.

Came in here looking for more serving ideas. Really like the idea of using them on a salad with the olive oil as dressing!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Partially at the flavor, partly because the texture felt kinda furry? Like cat's tongue-y? Either way, I wasn't that into it. However, I really love the vast majority of fish. What are the chances I'd like sardines based on this info and do you have a brand recommendation?

i'm strange. i love anchovies straight out of the can, partly because of the texture and partially because SALT. but the truth is they have that bristly cat-tongue feeling because they're lousy with tiny little bristly bones.

sardines taste very different. they're not solid with salt for one thing. they're also boiled so any bones are soft like what you get with salmon.

• hensue11
    hensue11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    They are nice on top of a baked potato and some other veggies...such as onions
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I add mine to a tomato-based pasta sauce (home made or jar).
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sardines are so nutritious and good for you. I'm trying to find recipes on them.. but for now, just enjoying atop of a parmesan crisp. Small fish like sardines are less likely to have mercury, so wouldn't worry about that.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Sardines typically contain less mercury than tuna, but importantly they also contain much more selenium, which when present at higher levels than mercury counteracts the adverse effects of mercury exposure.