Need tasty but fairly healthy pizza crust

Options
wellthenwhat
wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
So the pizza is ruined thread got me thinking, I need a good homemade crust recipe. Throw them at me, lol

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    The easiest is a pita. Broil one side, turn over and top with your sauce, toppings and cheese, then broil until melted.

It's not a traditional crust but surprisingly similar, particularly if you don't have much time.
  • jnic7594
    jnic7594 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just eat whatever pizza crust you like and work it in your calories. If you are low on calories for the day, just make a thinner crust. There are posts about cauliflower crust that is suppose to be good, but that's not pizza to me, lol. If I want pizza, I'm going to have pizza.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten-free so I have used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza crust mix. It's pretty easy and tasty. Not sure of the calories as I haven't made it in awhile.

If I don't feel like making my own crust, I'll use gluten-free tortillas. I put a little mozzarella between two tortillas, then add a little sauce on top, plus low-cal veggie toppings. Bake about 10 minutes. The mozzarella helps the tortillas stick together and gives it more of a pizza thickness. For a veggie "pizza" the entire thing is only around 300 calories.

2 Rudi's Fiesta GF Tortillas - 90 cals X 2 = 180 cals
    Reduced Fat Mozzarella - 1/4 cup = 70 cals
    Veggies (spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms) = 50 cals
    Total = 300 calories
  • dennisTee
    dennisTee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Look up America's test kitchen new york style thin crust. It makes two pizzas and half of the pizza is 420 calories and that's a large pizza. The tastiest pizza ever. Obviously you don't have to eat half a pizza lol.
    I always maybe sure I go super easy on the cheese because that's where those extra calories catch up to you.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    idk about healthy and good is pretty subjective, but i make mine from scratch.

for every cup of water i use a cup of flour, teaspoonish of extra gluten and maybe a teaspoon of yeast. nothing sweet [you often see this in recipes to 'feed' the yeast, but it's not strictly necessary]. i do add a small glop of olive oil and a little rocksalt to the water once it's heated.

1:1 water and flour makes more of a batter, but that's all i measure explicitly. i was taught to start with a batter and get the gluten going that way, and then start adding flour by feel. i don't have measurements for the extra flour since humidity can make a difference, but you're aiming for the softest dough you can get without outright scrape-your-hands-clean stickiness.

as soon as i do have a dough that's even slightly handle-able, i turn it out and start using the extra flour almsot more just to provide a thin film that keeps it from sticking until it's worked in. an indian colleague who explained to me how she makes naan said 'it should be like chewing gum' and that more or less works for me as a heuristic.

i've stretched this out to cover a 12x18 sheet pan, but admittedly the key word there really is 'stretch'. it's still doable so long as you keep the dough soft and use a hot oven. that gives you a lot of puff just from the steam. i like chewy borderline matzoh-y crust, full of bumpy bubbles, so ymmv on how much you like it.
  • knightcow2000
    knightcow2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower pizza crust is actually very tasty. You can find the recipes for this on Pintrest.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I'm more looking for made from scratch recipes
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    I want to try the cauliflower crust sometime! Unfortunately cauli is expensive here, and I'm a low income single parent.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Portabella Pizzas:
    http://sarahjanebedwell.com/media/article/eat-two-these-whole-pizzas-less-250-calories-recipe#

Ingredients:

2 large portabella caps

4 tablespoons of your favorite marinara sauce

1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Italian herb blend (or a sprinkle each of dried oregano and basil), to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Top each portabella half evenly with marinara sauce, cheese, and toppings. Sprinkle each half with Italian herb blend (or other dried herbs), to taste. Bake until warmed through and cheese has melted (about 10 minutes). Makes 1 serving.

Nutrition Facts per Serving (with peppers, onions, and olives as toppings): 220 calories, 10g fat, 3.5g sat fat, 620mg sodium, 18g carbs, 5g fiber, 15g protein, 30% Daily Value (DV) vitamin A, 90% DV vitamin D, 30% DV calcium, 15% DV iron.
  • NoirePanda811
    NoirePanda811 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi nearby? That's where I do most of my shopping as everything is super cheap(a cauli head is around $1).

One of my quick favorites is just 2 of your basic small tortillas, marinara, grated mozzarella, a few pepperonis for flavor, and a sprinkle of dried parsley to make it look healthier.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use a basic white bread dough recipe in my breadmaker and roll out a crust as thin as I can make it. I brush it with olive oil and freeze it until inspiration (cravings) hit.

I put a couple tablespoons of seasoned tomato sauce, toppings and cheese. Bake.

The calorie savings come from the thinness of the crust.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

A made from scratch recipe I use came from "The Elements of Pizza" by Ken Forkish. He calls it 'levain', but King Arthur Flour on their site call it sourdough starter. Making a sourdough starter is exactly the same as making a levain starter. Do that.

That takes a week.

While you're making the sourdough/levain starter you can order the book and it will arrive to give you exact instructions for making Neapolitan pizza dough.

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I really like the thin crust from the Kitchn.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45499

The crust isn't really the calorie killer for me, it's the cheese. If I go easy on the cheese and eat it with a salad, pizza makes a great meal. Also: homemade thin crust is delicious.
  • diggydog2
    diggydog2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online for sweet potato pizza crust that is really good. There are several variations out there to try. caj07x6l712c.jpg
  • diggydog2
    diggydog2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato pizza is really good. aegauy6wi2zt.jpg
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use pita flat bread for my pizzas. This is not the brand I buy, but they're like these. The one I use is 260 cals for the entire pita. It's about 7 inches in diameter, so i use about 40 grams of cheese and it's a perfect amount. Add about 1/4 cup of sauce, with peppers, onions, tomatoes and broccoli, and it comes to less than 450 calories for the entire pizza.

3ct9rbhoixs0.jpg
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If what you refer to as "healthy" as being low-carb, then Diet Doctor has an almost no-carb pizza crust:
    check it out HERE!

Lotsa calories (525 per serving!), but low carbs (Dietdoctor sez 7, but I come up with 12gms per serving).

Beauty is in the stomach of the dieter's goal, I guess.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I use this Fleischmann's recipe. Pretty basic but you can use olive oil or some whole wheat flour, or add parmesan cheese or spices to the crust if you like.

http://www.breadworld.com/recipes/30-Minute-Pizza-Crust

I like using a pizza stone. Great investment if you make pizza a lot.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Look up fathead pizza on pinterest.com.....I am a low carber and to me its one of the best