Early Morning Workouts

Options
Joining the dreaded Planet Fitness tomorrow. Frankly not willing to spend more until I'm sure I'll stick with the routine. My workouts will primarily be at 4 AM. Tell me all about how you drag yourself out of bed in the mornings! Anyone come to love their early morning clock ins??

Replies

• pagey231
    pagey231 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Personally I feel if you are dreading it ,, It will not last in the long term ,,Gym's and diets often fail ,,Personal motivation and lifestyle change are where its at ,You should still enjoy food and the odd "binge" day ,In the morning kick start metabolism by running /brisk walk /skipping or if no time a black coffee,The trick is to keep h/rate above resting as much of the day as possible ,Dont eat before bed! Just my opinion though ;-) PS I have dropped 3 kg in two weeks ,,Now 71,, Will be at target weight "around 67" in a few more .. I hope this helps , Just remember fatigue/lack of sleep can make you feel hungry and can also shut down metabolism ,, I hope this helps ;-)
  • thistimereally
    thistimereally Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    pagey231 wrote: »
    Personally I feel if you are dreading it ,, It will not last in the long term ,,Gym's and diets often fail ,,Personal motivation and lifestyle change are where its at ,You should still enjoy food and the odd "binge" day ,, Just my opinion though ;-)

You're right. I need to change my outlook and self talk!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I was never a morning person but I started waking up at 4:30am to workout by 4:45,5 am. At some point I started waking up at 4:15 to workout at 4:30 and found that it gets easier the more consistent you are with it. I just shoot right out of bed in the morning not even giving myself a chance to second guess what I am doing. You can also take pre workout as soon as you wake up to help. I prefer morning workouts because the gym is quieter.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Screaming kids help me drag out of bed
  • sammyjo0218
    Options
    The app must be buggy it won't post my whole comment. But working out early will help you plan the rest of your day and get more things done. I prefer working out first thing sometimes a preworkout will help perk you up if you're not feeling up to your mornings. Make sure you get enough sleep and have gym clothes by bedside so you look forward to it
  • thistimereally
    Options
    Lisseth03 wrote: »
    I was never a morning person but I started waking up at 4:30am to workout by 4:45,5 am. At some point I started waking up at 4:15 to workout at 4:30 and found that it gets easier the more consistent you are with it. I just shoot right out of bed in the morning not even giving myself a chance to second guess what I am doing. You can also take pre workout as soon as you wake up to help. I prefer morning workouts because the gym is quieter.

Consistency seems to be the "magic" word. And discipline. Motivation tends to run out fast for me. I'm scared to fail like I have so many times before! Well maybe stall more than fail but it's hard to look at this as a lifelong journey! Or I guess it's easy to look at it as one on a Sunday afternoon but harder at 4 AM before work!
  • thistimereally
    Options
    Screaming kids help me drag out of bed

Kids are new in my life! My boyfriend's kids are only here every other weekend and it still shocks me that 6:30 is "sleeping in" when they're here haha!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm a "morning person" so I love early morning workouts. Up at 4:30 - cup of coffee - then off to the gym which is about a two minute walk from my house. So that's a big plus. Only drawback is that I'm a bit of a party pooper because I go to bed so early....
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm an early person as well , up at 5:15 a cup off coffee then my workout from 5:30 till 20 of 7.
  • sammyjo0218
    Options
    Aww, yeah their sleeping routines can change my toddler use to sleep till almost noon and now it's like 7-8am since I had my 2nd baby they both get up at the same time. Sometimes they get me up at 5am so I feed them and get started with my day even if I only get a few hours of sleep
  • thistimereally
    Options
    I'm a "morning person" so I love early morning workouts. Up at 4:30 - cup of coffee - then off to the gym which is about a two minute walk from my house. So that's a big plus. Only drawback is that I'm a bit of a party pooper because I go to bed so early....

Always been a night owl. My ideal BEDTIME is 4 AM lol. Boyfriend is an early riser and we recently moved in together. 8:30-ish bedtime is quiet the change but I have to admit it makes the 6 AM alarm a little easier! Just hope it holds up for​ the 4 AM call!
  • Sindbad1985
    Sindbad1985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried it before to do insanity at 7 am, but I found I pushed harder and stronger when I do the workout at 8 pm than in the morning. However, each person is vary.
  • thistimereally
    Options
    I tried it before to do insanity at 7 am, but I found I pushed harder and stronger when I do the workout at 8 pm than in the morning. However, each person is vary.

Yeah there's definitely variants. In the past there were a lot of days I was too "mentally exhausted" to exercise after my 8 hour shifts. Excuses of course but still. Now I work 12 hours shifts a lot and I just can't see myself hitting the gym after one. There's something incredibly appealing about having nothing to do after work but relax. The trick will be discipling myself not to be "physically exhausted" at 4 AM! No excuses!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I pack everything the night before. I make one cup of coffee and drink it on the way to the gym. Then I kick some butt!
  • thistimereally
    Options
    I pack everything the night before. I make one cup of coffee and drink it on the way to the gym. Then I kick some butt!

I will definitely be packing the night before! Not sure if I'll be doing coffee or not as it seems like it doesn't work as well for me if I drink it often. Not sure if that's all in my head or not though!
  • mr910354
    mr910354 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Set out your gym clothes the night before and pack your bag if you plan on showering there. Makes it so much easier to roll out the door
  • thistimereally
    Options
    mr910354 wrote: »
    Set out your gym clothes the night before and pack your bag if you plan on showering there. Makes it so much easier to roll out the door

Will definitely do!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I do the early morning or late at nights, its just because that's when it fits my schedule. I have the dedication to get the job done.

Not directed at the OP, but I am sick of people somehow thinking that an early morning workout makes them hardcore or what ever crap line they feed themselves. If you get up at 4am and then stand on an elliptical for 30 minutes, does not mean you embraced the grind.
  • thistimereally
    Options
    When I do the early morning or late at nights, its just because that's when it fits my schedule. I have the dedication to get the job done.

Not directed at the OP, but I am sick of people somehow thinking that an early morning workout makes them hardcore or what ever crap line they feed themselves. If you get up at 4am and then stand on an elliptical for 30 minutes, does not mean you embraced the grind.

Yep definitely don't think it makes people special or whatever. Just like you said, it will be the best way for it to fit in my schedule.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Yep definitely don't think it makes people special or whatever. Just like you said, it will be the best way for it to fit in my schedule.

Once you fully accept that, you will do it.