Cool sculpting-does it actually work?

Options
Let me first say I don't plan on getting this procedure done, I am more so curious (and skeptical) since I keep seeing it advertised more and more. The first time I ever saw it was at my doctors office (I have since changed doctors because I do not want a "medical spa" doctor-yes she actually called herself that). Now I see it all over TV.

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about that too elphie754....
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    With the amount my ex-physician was charging for treatments-yikes! It had better work lol. But seeing as they always listed 1 treatment is this amount, 3 is this amount and a package of 6 is this amount, i guess it is like Botox and you need follow up treatments?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread topic. After my armchair research it is a technique that is based on science, it can help kill fat cells in a particular location.

It does seem kinda pricey for effectively sticking a -5C blue ice bag against your skin for 60 min.
  • Allthingsglitter
    Allthingsglitter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes it works but you need to be the right candidate. If you have stubborn fat that won't go away through diet and exercise then it will work.

Once the fat is gone, it won't ever come back, even when you gain weight. The weight will probably store in other areas where you haven't cool sculpted.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    Interesting thread topic. After my armchair research it is a technique that is based on science, it can help kill fat cells in a particular location.

It does seem kinda pricey for effectively sticking a -5C blue ice bag against your skin for 60 min.

Pricey is an understatement. Definitely won't ever be in our household budget lol. Also seems like a waste of money. If you don't change your eating habits, you'll just regain the weight/fat.
    Ashleyjt_ wrote: »
    Yes it works but you need to be the right candidate. If you have stubborn fat that won't go away through diet and exercise then it will work.

Once the fat is gone, it won't ever come back, even when you gain weight. The weight will probably store in other areas where you haven't cool sculpted.

Highly doubt that.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    From what I understand it can target specific areas. So for example on your face if you have double chin or something of the sort.
    Yes, it works, it is fairly straight forward as far as I can understand.
    It is a procedure for specific cases. Not to remove​ your bum or tummy (unless you don't mind the fat moving from there to, say, your back or forearms in all its glory).
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    With the amount my ex-physician was charging for treatments-yikes! It had better work lol. But seeing as they always listed 1 treatment is this amount, 3 is this amount and a package of 6 is this amount, i guess it is like Botox and you need follow up treatments?

Yes, in my reading you do need multiple applications to increase chance of tangible results. If one application kills off 10-20% of the fat cells then it would take several in the same spot for a pronounced difference. I expect the fat cells that remain may also just fill up larger to compensate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Pricey is an understatement. Definitely won't ever be in our household budget lol. Also seems like a waste of money. If you don't change your eating habits, you'll just regain the weight/fat.

Highly doubt that.

Isn't that how lipo works? You never get fat back in that area, because the actual fat cells have been removed, but just gain it in a different area (which can lead to some off proportions)? Or am I completely making this up?
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have heard ads on the radio and seen billboards for it in town. I just assumed it was another gimmick as the advertisers were plastic surgeons.

After reading about it I have to agree with @Theo166 - seems kind of pricey to freeze off 10% of an area.

I will have to ask around at work. Surely someone at the university has tried this...if so, I will let you know.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Highly doubt that.

Isn't that how lipo works? You never get fat back in that area, because the actual fat cells have been removed, but just gain it in a different area (which can lead to some off proportions)? Or am I completely making this up?

You can add new fat cells.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Highly doubt that.

This is correct. However, I believe a substantial amount of weight must be gained to create new fat cells. I *think* a majority of your fat cells are developed in childhood.

However, this was my understanding and I could be completely off base with this. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable will jump in. Not gonna lie, I haven't given this enough thought to actively seek out the information.

• Alatariel75
    Options

Highly doubt that.

This is correct. However, I believe a substantial amount of weight must be gained to create new fat cells. I *think* a majority of your fat cells are developed in childhood.

However, this was my understanding and I could be completely off base with this. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable will jump in. Not gonna lie, I haven't given this enough thought to actively seek out the information.

This was my recollection - when you lose weight you don't lose fat cells, you just empty them. If you regain, those fat cells refill and only when they're all full again will you make new ones.
  • elphie754
    Options

Highly doubt that.

This was my recollection - when you lose weight you don't lose fat cells, you just empty them. If you regain, those fat cells refill and only when they're all full again will you make new ones.

:s Emptying fat cells left a bad image in my head. All I can picture is them "draining".
  • Alatariel75
    Options

Highly doubt that.

:s Emptying fat cells left a bad image in my head. All I can picture is them "draining".

Hehe when you think about it, our bodies and their functions are actually really gross, aren't they?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Highly doubt that.

I don't mean to go off topic...but if this is the case, is it easier for someone who was once obese to gain fat than it is for someone who has been a healthy body weight for their whole life?
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Highly doubt that.

I don't mean to go off topic...but if this is the case, is it easier for someone who was once obese to gain fat than it is for someone who has been a healthy body weight for their whole life?

I have actually heard that too, yes. Again, I haven't looked into it and have nothing by way of science to back that up. But if the fat cell thing is accurate, it would stand to reason. More than happy to bow to someone's greater knowledge and experience!
  • elphie754
    Options

Highly doubt that.

I have heard that theory before, but not sure how true it is.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Highly doubt that.

@SideSteel Can you speak to this at all? And if it's true, is it more complicated than CICO afterall? We can start a new thread too elphie, sorry. I've just been curious about this.
  • elphie754
    Options

Highly doubt that.

@SideSteel Can you speak to this at all? And if it's true, is it more complicated than CICO afterall? We can start a new thread too elphie, sorry. I've just been curious about this.

Don't be sorry. I am also curious and in my eyes it is a similar topic.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Highly doubt that.

Yes, however I'm not certain that it necessarily has to do with number of fat cells or not. Meaning, if a lean person continues to over-eat they will still accumulate fat regardless of whether or not it's fat cell hypertrophy or hyperplasia.

But, I do think that people who were formerly obese will have a much easier time regaining weight compared to someone who was never obese to begin with, likely due to a combination of physiological and psychological/environmental factors.

When an obese person loses weight, they are essentially fighting their biology in that hunger will increase and energy expenditure will decrease in response to weight loss.