Dealing with WAY too much skin

Options
Hello. First, some background. I've lost 61pounds since I started with MFP, but I've actually lost 105lbs total so far. I started at 236 pounds and I'm only 5'3" tall. My skin did not get the memo and has not shrunk with the rest of me. It just hangs, all wrinkly, flabby, everywhere. Looking in the mirror undressed is not fun. It also makes finding the right fit in clothes (including bras and fitness) for my new size 8 body more difficult. Being short already limits clothing options to the petite department. I'm kind of dreading shopping for summer clothes. Shopping is so frustrating, and looking in the mirrors...ugh. I feel like I'm still stuck in a "fat suit" and I look like the Saggy Baggy Elephant (great kids book and its message applies here). The only way to get rid of the skin is extensive and expensive plastic surgery, which is not an option. I'm wondering if there are others out there dealing with this. If so, how do you come to terms with it?

Replies

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have an Instagram account but they have a lot of posts about loose skin. People are very open about living with it. I actually browse through there a lot because my realistic goal body will likely have a loose skin tummy. Seeing all of those people embrace their loose skin has helped me stay more positive. I've lost 67 lbs and still have probably 30 to go.
  • Bassador0302
    Bassador0302 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you ashcky! Great job losing 67 pounds!! I'd love if you could add me as a friend (I still have to figure out how to initiate that). I'll have to check out my Instagram. I think that's great advice! My tummy got loose from having my first child (he's 26), even after losing the 50 pound gain. I was discouraged that I couldn't wear a bikini anymore, but I tried to keep in mind that part of the belly was due to the muscles splitting too. My "tiger stripes" from that are a badge of honor since I got a healthy baby after a complicated pregnancy. It also showed my skin and muscles weren't very elastic even at 22 years old. Add a second child (required umbillical hernia repair) and 22 years of yo-yo from big, huge, to enormous, and I realistically didn't expect my tummy to be what it was the last time I was this size 24 years ago. I just really hoped it would be better than it is. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • Bassador0302
    Options
    Thank you ashcky! Great job losing 67 pounds!! I'd love if you could add me as a friend (I still have to figure out how to initiate that). I'll have to check out my Instagram. I think that's great advice! My tummy got loose from having my first child (he's 26), even after losing the weight (50 pound gain). I was discouraged that I couldn't wear a bikini anymore, but I tried to keep in mind that part of the belly was due to the muscles splitting too. My "tiger stripes" from that are a badge of honor since I got a healthy baby after a complicated pregnancy. It also showed my skin and muscles weren't very elastic even at 22 years old. Add a second child (required umbillical hernia repair) and 22 years of yo-yo between big, huge, and enormous, and I realistically didn't expect my tummy to be what it was the last time I was this size 24 years ago. I just really hoped it would be better than it is. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations to you too.

Genetics and age seemed to be the 2 biggies in factoring in how much skin you have after weight loss. You don't mention how long ago or how fast you have lost weight but my skin was still tightening up 2 years post losing 178 lbs at age 48. So it may well be that you will see improvement as time goes on.

I have been very lucky to only have minor droop even with my tummy muscles being torn (tip: I never look down during planks :s ) and now at 54 and having stayed at 110 lbs for 4 years there seems to be some rather interesting skin action happening still. I think gravity is reeking its savage revenge in parts that were OK and vice versa with improvements elsewhere despite no change in weight.....the human body is very weird ;)

As regards surgery if you feel that you would jump at the chance if you could afford it, perhaps look into the reconstructive side of things as there may be a way to qualify for that ie: issues with skin infections in the folds, surgical repair of the muscles torn by being pregnant.

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP- are you at your goal weight? I think many interpret flab for loose skin rather than a layer of fat still under the skin. These loose flabby areas (typically arms, stomach and thighs) still have weight/fat and droop down, causing areas under them to sag from the weight. It's been said here that a woman should be around 20% body fat before considering surgery for loose skin.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    From the reading I have done while you will likely still have loose skin, it can take about 2 years until it tightens up as much as it will. Having said that, after 2 years surgery might be the only way to ultimately deal with it if you remain unsatisfied.
  • mghaffar89
    mghaffar89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP- are you at your goal weight? I think many interpret flab for loose skin rather than a layer of fat still under the skin. These loose flabby areas (typically arms, stomach and thighs) still have weight/fat and droop down, causing areas under them to sag from the weight. It's been said here that a woman should be around 20% body fat before considering surgery for loose skin.

Wait so how can you tell the difference if what you have is skin or fat?
  • Bassador0302
    Options
    Great Question!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read loose skin is like a thin paper-like layer you can grab. If you still have more body fat left it will be more squishy.
  • Bassador0302
    Options

Firstly, congratulations to you too.

Genetics and age seemed to be the 2 biggies in factoring in how much skin you have after weight loss. You don't mention how long ago or how fast you have lost weight but my skin was still tightening up 2 years post losing 178 lbs at age 48. So it may well be that you will see improvement as time goes on.

I have been very lucky to only have minor droop even with my tummy muscles being torn (tip: I never look down during planks :s ) and now at 54 and having stayed at 110 lbs for 4 years there seems to be some rather interesting skin action happening still. I think gravity is reeking its savage revenge in parts that were OK and vice versa with improvements elsewhere despite no change in weight.....the human body is very weird ;)

As regards surgery if you feel that you would jump at the chance if you could afford it, perhaps look into the reconstructive side of things as there may be a way to qualify for that ie: issues with skin infections in the folds, surgical repair of the muscles torn by being pregnant.

So right about age and genetics. I'm sure being 49 has something to do with it. I smiled when I read your advice to never look down during planks. I already looked down! :p I'll never have the funds for surgeries, plus I've heard they're really difficult to endure and you're left with major scarring.

As for my weight loss: it's really been in stages over time. I lost the first 25 pounds a few years ago. It was a sudden drop because I was very ill, in the hospital for a month. I got so weak I could not even sit up in bed without help, so I spent another month in a rehabilitation facility. The next 20 pounds was from April 2015 to November 2015. Once I started using MyFitnessPal 121 days ago, I've gone down 61 pounds the right way. I've been hovering around the 130's because I've gotten a bit off track since I moved.

I'm close to my goal of 125...SO close!

• Bassador0302
    Options
    I would love to add you all as Friends (that's if you want to), but I don't know how.