Sleeping supplements

Options

Replies

• mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have had serious issues with sleep all my life, just found this https://www.amazon.com/DRIFTOFF-Natural-Sleep-Valerian-Melatonin/dp/B015QGJ98G called driftoff on Amazon, it helps me. I think most people with our issue would do well to take it. Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've taken melatonin almost every night for years. Lately I haven't needed it, but would go back to taking it if I did. Nothing wrong with taking it every night. Just a suggestion. Start with the lowest dose possible (I think it is 1mg) and go from there. Made the mistake of taking a higher dose and slept for almost 20 hours lol.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Try the gentlest over-the-counter stuff first. When my daughter the nurse was using Ambien, she learned of doing things in her sleep that she really didn't want to do, like spend hundreds of dollars buying books on her Kindle.

Yeah, that scares me. I've made little purchases on Percocet after surgery, and sometimes sleep eat with nothing. I don't sleep well, but I'm avoiding ambien.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Melatonin makes me weepy. I will take Benadryl (and it also helps my eczema).
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Unisom sleep tabs is the only I found to help me. Melatonin was habit forming for me and felt groggy the whole day plus you have to cycle with it. I always hear lavender for the bedroom can help for a more natural way for sleeping as it helps with calming. May work for some but not with me. Make sure you're not taking caffeine or any energizing supplements past noon that can make you stay up. Even working out at night before bed can prevent you from falling asleep.

Melatonin is not habit forming. It's a naturally occurring hormone that's released every night. Some people just need a bit extra to help them sleep. There is no need to "cycle".
  • elphie754
    Options
    Oh-good sleep/bed time hygiene habits are also really important. My doctor suggested these when I was having trouble sleeping.

-do not watch tv an hour before bed or in bed
    -keep bedroom a few degrees cooler than rest of house
    -keep the bed to bedroom activities only (i.e. No reading in bed, no watching tv in bed, only using bed to sleep and intimacy)
    -do not allow yourself to fall asleep someplace else (like couch)
    -try not to nap in the afternoon
    -no caffeine 6-8hrs before bed

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My doctor-sister was telling me about a new sleep therapy where the client works out how much sleep they need a night and go to bed later for the minimum sleep. For this to work the client must get up at the same time every day.

Latest research on sedative sleep aids is that they affect the person long in to the next day. Mor potential for accidents.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use Melatonin 10 mg extended release. I have had trouble sleeping since I was a kid. I only woke up at 3:00 AM if I drank any type of alcohol before bed. I stopped drinking and started taking that and boom sleeping sooooo wonderfully :) Good luck!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The magnesium doesn't help me sleep much. If anything, GABA calms me even more.

I'll say this. Melatonin works. I also took too much of it and pretty sure it stopped my period.

I've been taking zzzquill lately and it seems fine. I don't know. I have anxiety about sleep.
  • bbell1985
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Oh yeah. Benydryl will knock you the *kitten* out. I stopped just because I was getting addicted.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Melatonin
  • elphie754
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Benydryl will knock you the *kitten* out. I stopped just because I was getting addicted.

Am I the only person that Benadryl doesn't knock me out? Lol.
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    magnesium
  • bbell1985
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Am I the only person that Benadryl doesn't knock me out? Lol.

My friend is also an opposite. Caffeine puts her to sleep too ha
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Zzzquil is DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, which is what Benadryl is. Same ingredient, different brand name.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    As little as possible. Melatonin works for me sometimes as does benedryl.

I was on ambien for a while and I'll never take it again. What do you do when you have taken it and still can't sleep? It's not pretty.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Zzzquil is DIPHENHYDRAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, which is what Benadryl is. Same ingredient, different brand name.

10x the price for zzzquil vs regular Benadryl/diphenhydramine.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I've taken melatonin almost every night for years. Lately I haven't needed it, but would go back to taking it if I did. Nothing wrong with taking it every night. Just a suggestion. Start with the lowest dose possible (I think it is 1mg) and go from there. Made the mistake of taking a higher dose and slept for almost 20 hours lol.

I still wouldn't take it everyday. I want to simply modify my body's behavior.

Honestly,if that's your aim then do try the sleep hygiene tips some people have suggested
    I was the worst sleeper until a few weeks ago and now am sleeping 6 5 - 7 hours solid most nights. I can't take melatonin as it's not recommended for people with autoimmune disease and things like benadryl just knock me out the next day.