How do you get enough protein?

Options
SammiG01
SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
I had lentils, bean and eggs for breakfast and salmon for dinner and Greek yogurt for a snack, and that was still not enough protein. How do you manage to get enough in a day?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,661 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to get? The daily goal in your diary looks unusually high, though I know some folks intentionally target high amounts.

Generally, what I did to get mine up while losing was review my diary regularly, looking for foods that had quite a few calories, but little protein, then I reduced or eliminated those in favor of other foods I liked that gave me more protein.

This was a great resource for identifying candidate foods:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

But I was only targeting 0.6-0.g of protein per pound (no I don't mean kg) of healthy goal weight (no, I don't mean LBM) while losing. That was reasonably easy, even as a vegetarian.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SammiG01 wrote: »
    I had lentils, bean and eggs for breakfast and salmon for dinner and Greek yogurt for a snack, and that was still not enough protein. How do you manage to get enough in a day?

What are your stats, how much protein are you trying to get?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,661 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How much are you trying to get? The daily goal in your diary looks unusually high, though I know some folks intentionally target high amounts.

Generally, what I did to get mine up while losing was review my diary regularly, looking for foods that had quite a few calories, but little protein, then I reduced or eliminated those in favor of other foods I liked that gave me more protein.

This was a great resource for identifying candidate foods:

Carbs and Fats are cheap. Here's a Guide to getting your PROTEIN's worth. Fiber also...

But I was only targeting 0.6-0.g of protein per pound (no I don't mean kg) of healthy goal weight (no, I don't mean LBM) while losing. That was reasonably easy, even as a vegetarian.

Quoting myself to correct, since it's too late to edit: 0.6-0.8g of protein, in that last paragraph. Oops.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Schedule more meal times or add to what you already have. Protien shakes are a quick way to jump up until you get used to eating more through out the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First decide what "enough protein" is, then find out what foods contain protein, then experiment to compose a diet that suits you.

What's the reasoning for your macro split? It looks like the Zone Diet. Have you tried MFPs default? If so, why didn't that work?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Generally by going over my calorie goal. *sighs*

Sorry, you wanted something a bit more positive, yes? I think you should have a look at what's in the lentil and bean bites, other than lentils and beans. It looks to me like there wasn't much lentil in them, as 100g of boiled lentils would be approx 114 calories and 9g protein, so the issue may be that you had a miniscule quantity of lentils. What kind of beans are being used? Some species are more protein-rich than others.

Add peas into your daily life somewhere- 100g of frozen peas is 80-odd calories for 5-6g protein.

• HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I make my lunches mini dinners. So it's meat or fish with vegetables for both meals.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie budget and how many grams of protein do you want? 1 gram per pound of body weight for progressive heavy lifting is sufficient, but you'll need protein supplements.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie budget and how many grams of protein do you want? 1 gram per pound of body weight for progressive heavy lifting is sufficient, but you'll need protein supplements.

You never need protein supps. I've hit 300g on ~1400 kcals before. Lots and lots of tuna and chicken breast tenderloin (the kind with no rib meat attached).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lots of lean meats for my protein - chicken, pork, shrimp is a huge bang for its buck (22g for 4oz); if I have more fat to work with, then steak is a go-to - I hit 130g a day with limited supplements (I might occasionally have a protein bar for a snack, but its not something I plan into my food for the day)

feel free to check out my diary for ideas
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options

Hi
    Breakfast today for example will be 15g in a Protein Shake, and the protein in the 4.5 ounces of 1% milk on my Breakfast cereal plus the protein in the cereal. 3g in the cereal, 4g in the milk and 15g in the protein shake = 22g for breakfast.

Mt mid morning snack today is 2 ounces of Turkey breast an a 60calorie wrap with Miracle Whip or maybe as a Turkey Salad on the wrap.

Then Whatever I get from Lunch and dinner.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    We have high protein ice cream here. The peanut butter flavour has 17g protein, 2g fat and 2g carbs per 100g. I'm going to try it out this weekend.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Looks like your standard goal is 107, which seems reasonable, depending on stats. 170 (yesterday) seems higher than you need, and if you add exercise calories and the overall goal goes up, you don't have to eat more protein. Ann's suggestion of .6-.8 g/lb is right -- to be a little more specific, I have read from a few different credible sources .65-.8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, and like to err on the high end if on a deficit especially because I'm a woman in my 40s, when muscle loss is easy, gain is harder. Based on your profile, you may have similar concerns. For me this means I aim for around 100.

Anyway, having reviewed yesterday, the issue was lunch -- if you basically don't get protein at a meal it's tough to meet a goal unless you really get a lot at other meals or do a lot of protein-rich snacks. (I think a lot of people do low protein breakfasts or lunches, and have an issue.) Another thing is just increasing portions of protein-rich foods and decreasing other things. Eggs are a good source, but not that high -- they are higher in fat so the protein per calorie is just okay. I have eggs at breakfast a lot and tend to add some low-fat dairy too, but really I think your breakfast and dinner were fine, the yogurt as a snack was a good idea, you just needed a little more protein at lunch (maybe instead of some of the snacks, as protein tends to make a meal more filling).
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I also use Zone Marcos and find it pretty hard to hit my protein goal (113 gm). Things that help are
    - Non-fat latte as a snack
    - Meat at lunch and dinner
    - Protein bar as a snack

I cannot get into eggs for breakfast, I really like whole wheat toast with peanut butter so I miss out there but I enjoy it so much I'm not giving it up.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    some "tricks" I use is Protein powder in coffee and yogurt, egg whites in smoothies & oatmeal, lunch/dinner foods for breakfast
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've added protein powder to either my oatmeal or yogurt. Possibly a protein bar. Something else I just started is for snacking or lunch, where I roll-up a couple of slices of turkey with hummus, sliced red bell pepper and possibly cucumbers or other veggies cut thin. This is without the bread. This seemed to fill me up for a bit, as well as packs some protein in it.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of lean meat and I usually supplement with a bar or shake once a day.