Workout ideas for a SAHM mom?

Options
I have a 5 yr old and 6 mo old and literally have no way to get away to a gym or bike or swim or do any of the things I use to. I have 30 lbs of baby weight to lose and am getting sick of my current exercise dvd. Any exercise equipment or workout dvds you would recommend? I have been considering a stepper with bands...but idk.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can find so many workout videos on YouTube, just start searching. Having a few dumbbells and a yoga mat wouldn't hurt.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Dailyburn ($15 a month, tons of programs plus the 365 video which is a different live stream workout everyday)

Fitnessblender.com (lots of videos, free)

Beachbody on demand (access to older beach bodt programs, newer ones you have to buy, I want to say $40 or so every 3 months)

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Couple points. Number one as far as weight loss it's just a simple matter of eating less calories than your body Burns. You don't have to exercise to lose

As some other posters have said plenty of great YouTube videos. Personally I'm a Tony Horton Beachbody guy I've done 10 minute trainer P90 and P90X just love his routines there's a lot of great stuff out there find something you enjoy
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are easy to use at home, deliver a good burn for a short workout, don't take up much room.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Take out the kids for long walks? Get the older one a bike and get a jogging stroller to run with the baby?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, rowing machine and dumbbells at home

I also use carriers with my son (14 months, corrects to 10 and weighs 18lb) i front carry most of the times but on sundays we go on family hikes and i carry him on my back
  • rainymorning84
    rainymorning84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    On rainy days I like to use the Xbox connect to do dance, Zumba, and other games that get you moving.
  • Nads36
    Nads36 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    30 day shred....20mins of cardio and strength! Happy days :)
  • SylviazSpirit
    SylviazSpirit Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi there fellow SAHM!!! Is there certain things you like? I love dancing with fitnessmarshall, clubfitz, or keaira lashae (all on youtube), or doing shaun T on beach body on demand (love this but it does cost). Also love kickboxing and yoga. There are tons of videos on youtube for free for any of that. As well as yoga. I also love walking running even just around my house or yard while the kids play.
  • lovefriesam
    lovefriesam Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend fitnessblender. I love their workouts and I've lost weight and toned my body. They have free videos.
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred was the first thing I did as a SAHM (started when my boys were 5 months old). It was great for me at the time.
  • Otto132
    Otto132 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a sahm as well, with five homeschooling children. So I hear ya. I do barre3 online workouts during their nap/quiet time. It works for me, and is very low impact as well, which I like.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lot of good ideas. Another would be go to the gym sometime when your spouse could be with the kids
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I bought barbell plates 10, 25 and 35 lbs. it was the best use of my money for strength training and they slide nicely under my bed, away from little hands. I followed workouts on YouTube, there is a lot you can do with plates.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home mom, too.

I use Fitnessblender and dumbbells in my basement, and I a double a single jogging stroller- both used from our local buy/sell/trade website!

I'm about to sell the double, tough. My oldest is in school, so it's easy to plan to head out with one.
  • sjfit85
    sjfit85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm and I use Beachbody on demand. Love it!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old *loves* his scooter, and I'd have to run or bike to keep up. :) Get a bike trailer and get back to biking, if you used to do that.