DNA Testing for Weight Loss

Options
I'm just curious to know if anyone has done this, and if they have, was it effective. I was considering getting mine done, but would like some real feedback.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What is it supposed to achieve?
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It analyses your DNA to look at different traits ( I guess to see if you are predisposed to becoming obese) and sensitivities you might have to different foods. based off their analysis, they form a specific diet ( high protein, low carbs, or avoid sugars, or red meats, etc.) and it also tells you if cardio, weight trading, or whatever would be most optimal for you.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a waste of money
  • BelleCurves
    BelleCurves Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had this done as part of a weight loss coaching program I am in. It was included in the program which was an added benefit of my insurance carrier - did not cost me anything. Also, the program I am in does not cost me anything. It's very interesting, but nothing that I really could not have figured out on my own. They test for three different traits and give you an overall assessment of how you gain weight, process excess and how best to approach weight loss. I wouldn't pay for it, but any additional information is great to have.
  • kristielove
    Options
    From what I read, a lot of athletes and those who participate in the Olympics use it religiously.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    From what I read, a lot of athletes and those who participate in the Olympics use it religiously.

Any source. Curious about this.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I didn't think any of the gene mapping done to date was at the level of specificity to identify food intolerances - but I'd have to do some research
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    People really love to complicate things! just eat less. Start there.
  • kristielove
    Options
    Vintage, I can't remember the sites off the top of my head, but if you google DNA testing for weight loss or even DNA testing for health, it should pop up. @MarziPanda95 thanks for the insight.