I keep losing an gaining the same 5 pounds

Options
It's been like almost a month! I keep losing an gaining the same 3-5pounds! I have been under my calories every day expect for maybe like 2 days when I went on vacation. I started my journey at 210 on Nov2016. Im Now 175. However I keep going from 174-175,177,178. Its been like this for almost a month. Im getting so annoyed. I work out 6 days a week. I eat normal food. I eat whole wheat bread. Lean meat, veggies, fruit, 100 calories snacks, crackers, zero calorie drinks or water. I have a treat meal maybe once or twice a week but I still fit it into my calorie deficit. I don't go crazy with my treat meals. If get wings I skip the fries. If i eat pizza i get thin crust with just cheese. Again it fits into my deficit. I do cardio burning about 400-500 each work out. I also do like 20 minutes of weights. I don't believe in low carb. According to mfp my carb intake is fine and is always under. Why is this happening?

Replies

• KuchieJr93
    KuchieJr93 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Weight is VERY strange. I've stopped going by a scale (to a extent) to tell me how I "look". I go by my energy levels and how I look in the mirror. I play around the same weight and actually have lost 10lbs when trying to GAIN [I have to eat extreme amounts of food] but I am actually stronger and look bigger than when I weighed 10 pounds heavier. Water weight... how you weigh yourself (being in the morning after going to the bathroom).. if you weigh yourself with clothes on.. if you weigh yourself after meals or the same time every day.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Go how you feel and look!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Sodium and time of the month can cause water retention that can mask losses. Are you certain about your deficit?
  • celeryforbreakfast
    celeryforbreakfast Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may have hit a plateaus, and you may be experiencing adaptive thermogenesis. 1200 calories is likely not enough if you are working out 6 days a week. It took me a while to understand this, and a coach, but, eating more will actually take you out of starvation mode. When I started to increase my calories, it took me about a month to level off before I started to lose weight. Weight loss is slower, but, my body compensation is completely different. I have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I have energy and I look better.
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    Sodium and time of the month can cause water retention that can mask losses. Are you certain about your deficit?
    karahm78 wrote: »

Yes
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    You may have hit a plateaus, and you may be experiencing adaptive thermogenesis. 1200 calories is likely not enough if you are working out 6 days a week. It took me a while to understand this, and a coach, but, eating more will actually take you out of starvation mode. When I started to increase my calories, it took me about a month to level off before I started to lose weight. Weight loss is slower, but, my body compensation is completely different. I have a lot more muscle and a lot less fat. I have energy and I look better.

Moved mine to 1400 a few months ago
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's been like almost a month! I keep losing an gaining the same 3-5pounds! I have been under my calories every day expect for maybe like 2 days when I went on vacation. I started my journey at 210 on Nov2016. Im Now 175. However I keep going from 174-175,177,178. Its been like this for almost a month. Im getting so annoyed. I work out 6 days a week. I eat normal food. I eat whole wheat bread. Lean meat, veggies, fruit, 100 calories snacks, crackers, zero calorie drinks or water. I have a treat meal maybe once or twice a week but I still fit it into my calorie deficit. I don't go crazy with my treat meals. If get wings I skip the fries. If i eat pizza i get thin crust with just cheese. Again it fits into my deficit. I do cardio burning about 400-500 each work out. I also do like 20 minutes of weights. I don't believe in low carb. According to mfp my carb intake is fine and is always under. Why is this happening?

If you have been losing and gaining the same three pounds, you are not eating at a deficit. You are underestimating your calorie intake and/or overestimating your calories burned. This is pretty common when learning how to diet in a sustainable way.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though we might feel better with certain types of food. Neither does exercise, though it helps to create more of a deficit.

Do you weigh all your food? Log every single thing you ingest, including sugar drinks, condiments, oil you cook with?

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, where do you get those burns from? In fact, you should only log calorie burns for steady-state cardio and not weight lifting, because it's too difficult to figure out calories for weight lifting.

What is your activity level set at?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Nope, not this early in the game.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

If you have been losing and gaining the same three pounds, you are not eating at a deficit. You are underestimating your calorie intake and/or overestimating your calories burned. This is pretty common when learning how to diet in a sustainable way.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though we might feel better with certain types of food. Neither does exercise, though it helps to create more of a deficit.

Do you weigh all your food? Log every single thing you ingest, including sugar drinks, condiments, oil you cook with?

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, where do you get those burns from? In fact, you should only log calorie burns for steady-state cardio and not weight lifting, because it's too difficult to figure out calories for weight lifting.

Or she could just be at that point in her cycle where she retains and is still retaining from the New York trip. I'm pretty sure this has been explained to OP before but oh well.

Yep, this too. :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Or she could just be at that point in her cycle where she retains and is still retaining from the New York trip. I'm pretty sure this has been explained to OP before but oh well.

And it looks like she still hasn't bought a food scale, either.

And this.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    How about your measurements? depending on your height 5 lb is enough to show up on the waist, hips, thighs.. if they don't change, then i say don't worry about it.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options

Where did u get that? I have a scale smh
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Where did u get that? I have a scale smh

Then I'd start by using it.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss I want to take a moment to state the fact you lost 35 pounds in 4 months is great! 210-175 is terrific.
    I second the other comment about taking measurements and also about it could be from your trip to New York you had before.

I know if I eat food that is high in sodium it tends to stay on me for more than a week sometimes. I'm in the same pattern where I go from 155-158 for the past month. However, I'm seeing some small little definition in my body.

I know with weight loss coming off so well and fast it's kinda difficult when you noticed it's not coming off as fast.

You got this Op! I feel like your workout routine sounds good. Stay patient :)

• Premed100
    Premed100 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try a change of routine. The body becomes accustomed to the same exercise, & becomes more efficient & therefore burns less calories when performing the same exercise. So if your normal cardio is running, try cycling or swimming. Try something your body is not accustomed to.
  • landerson574
    landerson574 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The "then I'd start by using it" comment seemed pretty nasty to me. Maybe not, maybe the poster was truly trying to be helpful, but it I'm not sure how the poster knew if the OP was using a scale or not.