livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I think it would be fun for anyone who wants to, to do a experiment like this. Maybe we could have have a special thread for it.

Fun?
    I think learning things is fun. :)

I love to learn things, but I don't find playing at being poor fun.

Why does it have to be about pretending to be poor? It could be a great thing for people who could benefit from tightening up their food budget on occasion.

There's tightening up my food budget, then there's trying to live on as little as possible... I don't think it sounds fun either. It's kind of like going from the diet extremes of all "clean" to all "junk" food without considering the middle ground.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    I think it would be fun for anyone who wants to, to do a experiment like this. Maybe we could have have a special thread for it.

Fun?
    I think learning things is fun. :)

I love to learn things, but I don't find playing at being poor fun.

Why does it have to be about pretending to be poor? It could be a great thing for people who could benefit from tightening up their food budget on occasion.

There's tightening up my food budget, then there's trying to live on as little as possible... I don't think it sounds fun either. It's kind of like going from the diet extremes of all "clean" to all "junk" food without considering the middle ground.

If it were a matter of living on as little as possible, I don't think I would find it fun either. Although there are people who do things like that - not buying anything, or dumpster diving. More power to them, but not what I'd want to do. But this experiment doesn't seem extreme to me.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I once kept meticulous record of all my food costs. I managed to get my food costs down to $85 a month while eating quite well.

I just made sure I made everything myself. I didn't buy processed food. (I also didn't buy meat. So... that helps.)

Op... just wander a market. Go around the edges of the store. It's really quite easy.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I do keep meticulous records of all my food costs ... and while I don't spend as little as $85 a month, my last 2 months of records show that I spent an average of $3.54 on groceries per day .... and not all of them have yet been used up ... actually, I don't have to shop again for at least another 10 days. And, I do eat well from all the food groups, cooking everything from scratch at home. ...

The area I live in is not inexpensive ... although I'm certain there are areas more expensive, as well as less so. The way I save on food is to buy when things are on sale and work my menus around that.

Of course, it helps that I don't purchases a convenience foods like canned soups and gravies, cookies, crackers, and don't often buy bread either. That's cause I cook from scratch ... but then, I have the time available to do that kind of cooking because I don't have an outside job, being retired.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It's great that she's shown it can be done. I've read articles where a public official tries it and just whinges about it being an impossible task with the money provided.
  • Cuddlebearjay
    Cuddlebearjay Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your assignment!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options

Been there ... done that ... in real life. Not fun.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Ditto. Not fun at all.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This is where I share that my food budget is currently $30 / week, right? I have to say, eggs, cereal and bulk supplies (even bake my own bread) are a big advantage. And just like @Sara1791 said, you build the pantry up bit by bit. I've had to start over from scratch a couple times. But very rarely is anyone in the position of not even affording salt or pepper.

Also, if anyone wants to REALLY understand a place that money gets eaten en masse when you're having limited means, look no farther than the laundromat. Those places are complete money sinks with no realistic way to avoid a lot of the expense without hookups in most apartments.

YES!!!!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Ditto. Not fun at all.

Yeah it's one thing to do this when a little short for a few days. And it can be fun to figure out how to put together a "cooking challenge" to come up with a healthy cheap recipe. But it's allure loses its luster when it's a lifestyle.

That's why I've been trying to have people not think that putting together a lentil soup means they really "get" living on food assistance. An insight, sure, but it's not the same as living it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    It's great that she's shown it can be done. I've read articles where a public official tries it and just whinges about it being an impossible task with the money provided.

But that's often the only way they really understand that people needing assistance aren't living comfortably. People who get into higher office rarely have lived a lifestyle like that. So they don't understand.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How did you manage on Sunday doing the hike? Was your energy level ok?
    Thanks for sharing menu, looks good and what a great life lesson--- those were nice days for me with dorm living and dorm eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This is where I share that my food budget is currently $30 / week, right? I have to say, eggs, cereal and bulk supplies (even bake my own bread) are a big advantage. And just like @Sara1791 said, you build the pantry up bit by bit. I've had to start over from scratch a couple times. But very rarely is anyone in the position of not even affording salt or pepper.

Also, if anyone wants to REALLY understand a place that money gets eaten en masse when you're having limited means, look no farther than the laundromat. Those places are complete money sinks with no realistic way to avoid a lot of the expense without hookups in most apartments.

I can't use laundromats because fabric softener makes me very, very sick. So when looking for an apartment I look for one with washer/dryer hookups. In my area, they are considerably more expensive than those without. When I was looking in 2012 I found a place that was cheap and perfect except for the lack of hookups and my landlord let me pay to have them put in. This investment quickly paid for itself, but of course one has to have the money to do this upfront.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This assignment has definitely been a thought provoking one for a much broader audience than the professor intended! OP, you should let him/her know how much discussion it has triggered. It certainly made me very thoughtful as I was at several area shops over the weekend. Since I am a history buff, and really like food, I read extensively on the history of food, and knew that Irish (and French!!) peasants were able to subsist VERY well on just potatoes and milk, supplements by random foraged greens or seaweed. So I kept that in mind as I priced things out. Here is what I would get, and it is important to note that I am lifting so I need to get a high protein macro, but I could subsist very happily on the following for a much longer period than 3 days. Of course, if you did another 3 days you would get another sum of money so you could shake things up a little and stretch the milk and potatoes.

Dozen eggs 1.25 (4 a day)
    Gallon 2% milk 2.50 (4.25 cups a day)
    10 lbs. potatoes 3.99 (3.33 lbs a day)
    1 lb. onion 1.00 (5.3 oz a day)
    Single stick butter 1.39 (2.6 T a day)
    6 large bananas 1.60 (2 a day)
    Franks hot sauce jar 1.00 (unlimited)

That leaves me with 0.57 for some cheap scratch-and-dent fruit or veg.

Breakfast: 2 eggs and banana
    Lunch: 2 eggs and hash browns with onions and hot sauce
    Dinner: baked potato, onions, butter, hot sauce, banana

Here is the nutritional profile:

2460 calories
    383 g carbs/ 92 g protein/72 g fat
    37 g fiber
    9,167 mg potassium
    70% vit A/ 69% vit C/ 142% calcium/ 122% iron/1506 mg sodium

That's a pretty awesome nutritional profile, would fuel a hard physical work day for me, and would get me pretty close to my protein goal.

Elsewhere on this site, I have lauded the poor neglected dandelion. I don't know if the assignment allows for foraging the kind of stuff we trample on all day, but if you add in 100 g dandelion greens, which are an insane nutritional powerhouse, it improves the entire profile, but most notably the following:

+3 g protein
    +4 g fiber
    +224% vitamin A
    +40% vitamin C
    +206% calcium
    +3% iron

Depending on the time of year, there are all kinds of awesome foods that can be foraged, but right now dandelions are plentiful, and the taste is a little peppery but not as bitter as after they start blooming. Either way, all greens (violet leaves, nettles, plantain, garlic mustard, and many other "weeds" that were originally European culinary imports) are great sauteed in butter and onions and kicked up with Franks or other seasoning, as most poor people throughout the centuries could tell you.

And if you are allowed to eat out of your own garden, another historic trick of poor people through the centuries that just boggles people's minds today, I have chives, garlic, garlic chives, Egyptian walking onions, leeks, thyme, and oregano, all of which would be great in the hash browns and baked potato.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

But that's often the only way they really understand that people needing assistance aren't living comfortably. People who get into higher office rarely have lived a lifestyle like that. So they don't understand.

This. I feel like everyone would benefit from having been poor (or even "poor") at some point in their life. While I fully recognize that having no money in my bank account while I was a university student means that I still had the privilege of attending university and living in a nice neighbourhood (albeit in someone else's attic or basement) and, well, having a bank account, to this day it colours decisions that I make in my life.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I lived off of $75/month in groceries during college :p that was back in 2008-09, but it was also in Southern CA, with inflated prices.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

Like I said earlier, I think this - or something similar - should be a mandatory exercise for people getting degrees in social work, urban planning, any policy/government degree, family medicine, pediatrics, and internal medicine.