Going over fat goals?

Options
jamieszone
jamieszone Posts: 11 Member
If I am staying in my calorie goal but am exceeding my protein and fat goal according to mfp settings does that mean I will lose weight slower?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No - and if you're using MFPs numbers they usually put protein pretty low so I consider it a minimum rather than a maximum. Eating fat doesn't equal gaining fat.
  • jamieszone
    jamieszone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank u
  • laurierouse
    laurierouse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm exceeding / going over my protein and fat often, but my diet is 95% whole foods only (fruit, lean protein, whole grain carb, LOTS of veggies, arugula, spinach, kale, so I had the same question. Thank you both!!
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I find that as someone who doesn't eat much meat, it's really difficult to get a reasonable amount of protein without busting my fat goal. I figure that as long as the figures aren't consistently wildly out, it'll probably do!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    I find that as someone who doesn't eat much meat, it's really difficult to get a reasonable amount of protein without busting my fat goal. I figure that as long as the figures aren't consistently wildly out, it'll probably do!

Eggs (bumped up with extra whites), low fat dairy, beans/legumes/sprouted grains etc? What about seafood?

OP, if you're happy eating the amount you are, and you're getting enough fibre and serves of vegies/fruit... Keep on going! I like protein for satiety, and fat makes things taste good :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its the total calories consumed that matter - if you are eating at calorie deficit, you will lose :smile:
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Eggs sometimes (unpredictably!) make me ill, and low fat dairy just doesn't taste as good. I realised a couple of years ago that decades of eating things I didn't like much on various diets had actually made my overeating problem a lot worse, so I'm trying to change my habits there and not put anything in my mouth that I don't actively want.

I do eat plenty of beans, lentils etc, but if I use those as my main protein source I just tend to go over on the carbs instead :) It seems to just be a bit of a balancing act, and for me the balance tends to tip towards fat.