Salt and Vinegar cravings are intense!

Options
Mary_Anastasia
Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Does anybody have any insight into what it means to crave salt and vinegar all the time? I've never had much of a sweet tooth, but this is getting ridiculous. This has been getting worse for about 7 years:

- At parties I skip the cupcakes and have chips for the dessert
- At theme parks and baseball games I load up on vinegar packets from vendors to suck on through out the day (my friends think it's a riot, I think it's delicious)
- I embarrass my family when I douse my salad in vinegar and use a spoon to get it all ("would you like a straw?")
- I am finding any opportunity to make sweet foods savory so I can put vinegar or salt on them (waffles, for example)
- I keep salt at my desk at work...and have lately found myself dipping my finger into the salt and just eating it.

My blood pressure is LOW. My normal heartrate is LOW. (for the record cholesterol is also LOW ;) ) And I do have thyroid disease -> that's what I've always attributed it to, but I don't even know if it is really a symptom, and it is getting out of hand; nothing else has advanced like this craving. It is 24/7. I have stopped eating cereal. I have stopped drinking juice. And I am literally drinking vinegar. I stashed away my first vinegar packet in my pocket (to save for later) 7 years ago now, and I'm like...this is annoying!! Anyone else go through this?

Ideas?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Pregnant?

Nope, never - not a bad thought, though
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Could be a mineral deficiency - vinegar does have some calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and iron. Could be low stomach acid.

When I was low in iron, I had mad cravings for ice. I crunched it all the time. Totally when away when my ferritin got back to normal.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

A seven year pregnancy? :D
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

Well OP implied that the cravings got worse so that's not a far fetched question. *shrug*
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pregnant?

Well OP implied that the cravings got worse so that's not a far fetched question. *shrug*

I was just teasing :)

OP Is this not just a food habit that you have gotten in to?
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    A quick Google search returned this result, but you can put just about anything on the internet so I would take it with a grain of salt (haha, did you see what I did there?):

Craving vinegar or substances that contain large amounts of vinegar such as pickles or ketchup could be a sign of an overgrowth of Candida, a type of microorganism that often causes fungal infections. Cravings can also be a sign of some type of nutrient deficiency.

How are your teeth doing with all this vinegar consumption? You might want to be careful about the acid eating away at your enamel. Perhaps rinse well with water after consumption, or even with a baking soda-water mix to neutralize the acid.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I watched a video over the weekend, a doctor, I think Yusuf Salim, was explaining how modern really good science has shown that for people who are not hypertensive, and that's you, a daily sodium intake of 5000 mg is optimum for avoiding infection and cardio vascular diseases.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Alternately, maybe you have this rare genetic condition? Probably not, but maybe...

Gitelman syndrome in a South African family presenting with hypokalaemia and unusual food cravings.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Pregnant?

I was just teasing :)

OP Is this not just a food habit that you have gotten in to?

Pretty sure it's not. I love, for example, balsamic dressing on my salad- but if there is a bottle of straight vinegar I will put that on instead. I never normally eat chips, I don't buy them, but if I have the choice between them or sweets it'll be them every time. I try to avoid adding salt to too much, but at the same time I'm like "Hey, my blood pressure is 107/65" no worries, right?

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the most delicious recipe for vinegar potatoes - salty vinergary and so delicious. My son is also a big vinegar fan...

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crispy-salt-and-vinegar-potatoes

• Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    A quick Google search returned this result, but you can put just about anything on the internet so I would take it with a grain of salt (haha, did you see what I did there?):

Craving vinegar or substances that contain large amounts of vinegar such as pickles or ketchup could be a sign of an overgrowth of Candida, a type of microorganism that often causes fungal infections. Cravings can also be a sign of some type of nutrient deficiency.

How are your teeth doing with all this vinegar consumption? You might want to be careful about the acid eating away at your enamel. Perhaps rinse well with water after consumption, or even with a baking soda-water mix to neutralize the acid.

Haha, a grain of salt-- I'LL TAKE ANYTHING WITH A GRAIN OF SALT :P

Candida eh, I don't think I've ever had that- unless it can maybe live in the stomach and is eating all my salt away? :v And excellent point about the teeth- they are fine, no cavities for a few years, enamel is good, though I have some gum recession- yuck. But yeah good point, it is probably affecting the enamel, even if I can't tell it.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I watched a video over the weekend, a doctor, I think Yusuf Salim, was explaining how modern really good science has shown that for people who are not hypertensive, and that's you, a daily sodium intake of 5000 mg is optimum for avoiding infection and cardio vascular diseases.

Reaaaaaaallly, well, I'm definitely not hypertensive, yeah. Pressure is usually 107/65-ish, and pulse stays around 55-60. Interesting he said 5,000, because I'm always dismayed at seeing my sodium macro in red every time I log my meals here :/
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    I have the most delicious recipe for vinegar potatoes - salty vinergary and so delicious. My son is also a big vinegar fan...

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crispy-salt-and-vinegar-potatoes

Thank you! Def trying this one :) I went to a friends party 2 weeks ago, and she made some salty vinegary potatoes. It was all I ate. :9
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Alternately, maybe you have this rare genetic condition? Probably not, but maybe...

Gitelman syndrome in a South African family presenting with hypokalaemia and unusual food cravings.

That a lot of big words. But I got the gist of it- super interesting, it does sound like me haha, thanks, I will put this on my list of things to bring up next time I see my endocrinologist
  • BaronessBianca
    BaronessBianca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anybody have any insight into what it means to crave salt and vinegar all the time? I've never had much of a sweet tooth, but this is getting ridiculous. This has been getting worse for about 7 years:

- At parties I skip the cupcakes and have chips for the dessert
    - At theme parks and baseball games I load up on vinegar packets from vendors to suck on through out the day (my friends think it's a riot, I think it's delicious)
    - I embarrass my family when I douse my salad in vinegar and use a spoon to get it all ("would you like a straw?")
    - I am finding any opportunity to make sweet foods savory so I can put vinegar or salt on them (waffles, for example)
    - I keep salt at my desk at work...and have lately found myself dipping my finger into the salt and just eating it.

My blood pressure is LOW. My normal heartrate is LOW. (for the record cholesterol is also LOW ;) ) And I do have thyroid disease -> that's what I've always attributed it to, but I don't even know if it is really a symptom, and it is getting out of hand; nothing else has advanced like this craving. It is 24/7. I have stopped eating cereal. I have stopped drinking juice. And I am literally drinking vinegar. I stashed away my first vinegar packet in my pocket (to save for later) 7 years ago now, and I'm like...this is annoying!! Anyone else go through this?

Ideas?

OMG!!!! Yes I've have it too!!! Sometimes I'll drink malt vinegar STRAIGHT from the bottle!!! I've spend over a $100/month on PICKLES ALONE!!!

Are you under extreme stress?
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard salt cravings are generally dehydration or electrolyte imbalance and vinegar cravings means low stomach acid or dehydration/electrolyte imbalance as well
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Reaaaaaaallly, well, I'm definitely not hypertensive, yeah. Pressure is usually 107/65-ish, and pulse stays around 55-60. Interesting he said 5,000, because I'm always dismayed at seeing my sodium macro in red every time I log my meals here :/

I see this post is from 2017 so will answer in the hopes that it benefits others:

When I don't eat enough salt, I have low blood pressure and salt cravings. I've also passed out. I eat lots of salt :lol:

I use MFP on desktop and switched sodium out for fiber years ago. I never see the sodium micro on desktop, and would completely ignore it if I used the app and couldn't get rid of it. Oh, and one can edit their target here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals

I believe I've also had salt cravings when my anemia was untreated.

I encourage people to discuss unusual cravings with medical professionals at their next opportunity.
  • pafinkssteffes
    pafinkssteffes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading a book on adrenal reset that says the salt craving is thyroid. The suggestion was to do high protein in the morning and high carbs at night.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I take 6 grams of salt a day in pill form to keep my blood pressure up. You might actually need extra salt.

Once my doctor prescribed the pills, my salt cravings went away, and so did my intense cravings for pizza, potato chips, cheese, etc.

My body needed the salt, but my brain's best source of salt to crave was fatty junk food. So once I got the proper amount of salt, the junk food cravings weren't necessary.

Perhaps talk to your doctor about your blood pressure and see if salt supplementation or medication might help you.