Weight Plateau Help - Increase Calories?

I currently weigh 440 lbs. I have been stuck at this weight for 2 weeks now. I am currently eating approx. 1200-1500 calories a day. When I started my weight loss journey I was losing about 2lbs a week. Not anymore. I am eating very clean: Lean meats and veggies and drinking 3-4 liters of water a day. Do I really need to increase my calories to lose more weight? It just seems counter intuitive to eat more. I figure the greater the deficit the better.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You don't have to eat or drink anything special, or starve yourself, but you do have to be patient and eat at a consistent calorie deficit. If you do that, you lose weight. Ignore weight fluctuations. Weigh all your food.
  • jodycreed
    jodycreed Posts: 8 Member
    All of my food is weighed.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    You're right, it is counterintuitive. Are you eating back your estimated exercise calories?

If so you may be overestimating the calories burned. If no, you may be retaining water. At your size, there is no possible way that a 1200-1500 calorie level daily would not force your body to turn to fat stores for energy. Trust the tried and true method of logging EVERYTHING you eat accurately and you will lose fat.
  • jodycreed
    I buy my meals from a local meal prep company. Only lean meats and veggies, and everything is logged into myfitnesspal. I really am logging everything. I just figure with what I am eating I should see more movement.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    jodycreed wrote: »
    I buy my meals from a local meal prep company. Only lean meats and veggies, and everything is logged into myfitnesspal. I really am logging everything. I just figure with what I am eating I should see more movement.

Some weeks you will see a drop, some weeks stay the same and some weeks you will even see a gain. But if you compare month to month, looking longer term than 1-2 weeks: the trend will be downward from eating at a deficit.

The temporary stall is tied to weight. Could be due to hormones, sodium, stress, lack of sleep, doing more physical activity than normal and so forth. But water weight is temporary.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'd be pretty skeptical of the meal prep company. If you're 440 and eating 1200-1500 cals I would expect to see movement weekly. Idk tho, I know the heavier you are the more water you can hold too so maybe stick it out another couple weeks and see?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    You're male and only eating 1200 calories?

• jodycreed
    It's definitely not the meal prep company.
  • jodycreed

That is correct.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    edited March 2017
    Are you in a position yet where you are able to start increasing your daily activity in the house? And/or engage in joint friendly movement/exercise?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I had assumed female based on the 1200-1500 and name Jody. (Which can be male or female.)

Are you under a doctor's constant supervision for the very low calorie diet? The recommended safe MINIMUM for a male is 1500/day.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member

Are you logging here or someplace else? I see non-complete or no food logged days in your diary. If you aren't weighing everything you are eating you really should start doing so.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    If you are not being super active or burning anything more than just sitting I would definitely add that in and feel free to eat back what you burn. If you weigh 440 i wouldn't think your body should be in starvation mode, because there is plenty there to burn off and use. I also see people on weightloss shows who are at 1200 calories for months and they lose every month. So, i would say add in activity and lots of water.
  • jodycreed
    I had assumed female based on the 1200-1500 and name Jody. (Which can be male or female.)

Are you under a doctor's constant supervision for the very low calorie diet? The recommended safe MINIMUM for a male is 1500/day.

I am a dude! (thanks mom)

No a doctor is not monitoring my calorie intake.
  • jodycreed
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Are you in a position yet where you are able to start increasing your daily activity in the house? And/or engage in joint friendly movement/exercise?

I am not bed ridden just a big guy. 440lbs 6' 2".

Yes I can walk around and have been increasing activity.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    If you are 440 pounds and really only eating 1200 calories a day you would be losing weight. You are eating more than you think.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

That is correct.

That is not sustainable. You will struggle to give your body what it needs and it will use your muscle as fuel making it harder to continue to lose weight.

The amount of fat you're eating is very low.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ Here you can Calculate what your burn and how many calories a day you should be eating to lose weight in a healthy way.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expediture - how many calories you use every day doing your normal routine with exercise
    BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate - the amount of Calories you need to just lay in bed and breathe.

I think you will find you are way under. You can eat more and healthier and lose weight.