Starting Insanity

Options
2»

Replies

• srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    jnducharme wrote: »
    Doing both weights and insanity is a good combo. Either alternate days or do 2 days of weights then insanity as your cardio day or double them up and take a a full day off every 3 days or so. I've been doubling them up and my body is sore and tired a lot but I've had amazing results.

So you don't follow the Insanity program all the way through, you just pick exercises to do and take off every 3 days?
    I feel like this is more cardio and tons of lower legs whereas I want to hit up my upper body more (my weakness). I'm a firefighter so I don't want to be dead tired at work but I was thinking of doing a 3-day 5x5 workout and just focusing on upper body (shoulder press, bench press, bicep curls, deadlift)
  • srv524
    Options
    Roosh513 wrote: »
    Yeah, ultimately you've got to do what works best for you. I'm starting to see some pretty noticeable changes with Insanity. I've lost 2 lb this week and my belly has flattened by quite a bit. I am also keeping my calorie intake around 1900-2000 with a 40/40/20 ratio of proteins, carbs, and fats.

Yesterday I ran my fastest mile (8'45"), but ran out of gas for the other 2 miles (I blame good ol' St. Patty for that one. Beer as your dinner gives you zero energy the next day :D ).

My diet is the worst part, if I could get that under control I'd easily drop weight. I'm eating about 2500 calories a day, not eating back the Insanity calories burned. MFP says I should eat around 2K but...yea my diet sucks.
  • srv524
    Options
    My legs are very achy today, not sore though. Might rest today...
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't take every 3rd day off that was more my suggestion of a good way to go about it if you are lifting and doing insanity. I follow the original Insanity plan but sometimes move the rest day around depending on my schedule and often lift instead of the recovery day on Thursdays. I work in my 4 lifting days throughout the week (no more than 2 days in a row) when it is most convenient for me.
  • srv524
    Options
    I know I should really stick with the whole program but I'm already getting bored (I have ADHD and hate routines). I really want to get back into the gym and do free weights but I know I need to stick with this first.
  • srv524
    Options
    Completed my 2nd fit test today. The numbers on my first one were off because I didn't have strict form so I lowered them down a bit.

Switch kicks 60 64
    Power jacks 48 54
    Power knees 80 91
    Power jumps 25 32
    Globe jumps 10 11
    Suicide jumps 12 18
    Pushup jacks 21 28
    Plank oblique 20 25

Weight -still 215. My diet is piss poor and although I've been cutting out snacks and some garbage, I still tend to have big dinners.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    srv524 wrote: »
    I know I should really stick with the whole program but I'm already getting bored (I have ADHD and hate routines). I really want to get back into the gym and do free weights but I know I need to stick with this first.

Why do you need to stick with this first?
  • srv524
    Options
    Because I need to lose weight/cut fat first before I increase my lean muscle mass via weights. It'll also help my cardio as well. I started the program and now I'm going to finish it.