I keep losing an gaining the same 5 pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements and just keep trucking. In a month, re-measure. Don't sweat the scale for a while.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The "then I'd start by using it" comment seemed pretty nasty to me. Maybe not, maybe the poster was truly trying to be helpful, but it I'm not sure how the poster knew if the OP was using a scale or not.

Through previous posts by this same OP.

Question - did OP say she "had a food scale" or "used a food scale?"
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat outside food such as pizza or wings, it will be almost impossible to quantify your calories. The wing sauce may have sugar. So may sauce on a pizza.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    If you are going to eat outside food such as pizza or wings, it will be almost impossible to quantify your calories. The wing sauce may have sugar. So may sauce on a pizza.

If it's from a chain large enough to publish calorie counts, the sugar (and any other ingredient) will be accounted for in the nutritional information.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    The "then I'd start by using it" comment seemed pretty nasty to me. Maybe not, maybe the poster was truly trying to be helpful, but it I'm not sure how the poster knew if the OP was using a scale or not.

Not reading tone on text goes a long way.
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    just thought i would share my experience. Im working with a coach and he has stated many times that scale weight is just a tool. I go for 3 -4 week check ins and this time i gained 1 pound while decreasing body fat by 1%.. which is now @ 14 %...tbh my diet wasn't that great due to events and trips etc.. but it just goes to show weight isn't everything.

I measure my success in body fat %, how i look, and how my clothes fit
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Welcome to maintenance. Might be as easy as cutting a 100 calorie snack :)
  • rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    It's been like almost a month! I keep losing an gaining the same 3-5pounds! I have been under my calories every day expect for maybe like 2 days when I went on vacation. I started my journey at 210 on Nov2016. Im Now 175. However I keep going from 174-175,177,178. Its been like this for almost a month. Im getting so annoyed. I work out 6 days a week. I eat normal food. I eat whole wheat bread. Lean meat, veggies, fruit, 100 calories snacks, crackers, zero calorie drinks or water. I have a treat meal maybe once or twice a week but I still fit it into my calorie deficit. I don't go crazy with my treat meals. If get wings I skip the fries. If i eat pizza i get thin crust with just cheese. Again it fits into my deficit. I do cardio burning about 400-500 each work out. I also do like 20 minutes of weights. I don't believe in low carb. According to mfp my carb intake is fine and is always under. Why is this happening?

If you have been losing and gaining the same three pounds, you are not eating at a deficit. You are underestimating your calorie intake and/or overestimating your calories burned. This is pretty common when learning how to diet in a sustainable way.

Food type has nothing to do with weight loss, though we might feel better with certain types of food. Neither does exercise, though it helps to create more of a deficit.

Do you weigh all your food? Log every single thing you ingest, including sugar drinks, condiments, oil you cook with?

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, where do you get those burns from? In fact, you should only log calorie burns for steady-state cardio and not weight lifting, because it's too difficult to figure out calories for weight lifting.

What is your activity level set at?

Or she could just be at that point in her cycle where she retains and is still retaining from the New York trip. I'm pretty sure this has been explained to OP before but oh well.

And it looks like she still hasn't bought a food scale, either.

Where did u get that? I have a scale smh

Then I'd start by using it.

I do
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options

Not reading tone on text goes a long way.

Yes very. Not nice
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    I just want to say congratulations on your weight loss! As for the snark, ignore it, some people just aren't happy if they can't find something to be nasty about.

Well thank u. Best comment ever!
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss I want to take a moment to state the fact you lost 35 pounds in 4 months is great! 210-175 is terrific.
    I second the other comment about taking measurements and also about it could be from your trip to New York you had before.

I know if I eat food that is high in sodium it tends to stay on me for more than a week sometimes. I'm in the same pattern where I go from 155-158 for the past month. However, I'm seeing some small little definition in my body.

I know with weight loss coming off so well and fast it's kinda difficult when you noticed it's not coming off as fast.

You got this Op! I feel like your workout routine sounds good. Stay patient :)

Thank u. I appreciate that.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    without an open diary no one can help you.

you are eating at maintenance.

eat less or work out more.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Welcome to maintenance. Might be as easy as cutting a 100 calorie snack :)

^^ this
    Tweak your calorie intake a little and see how it goes.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    may be do more cardio I would recommend indoor cycling classes aka spin classes burn 800 to 1000 calorios in half an hour
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    may be do more cardio I would recommend indoor cycling classes aka spin classes burn 800 to 1000 calorios in half an hour

Maybe if you weigh over 500lbs it will... otherwise, sorry - nowhere near.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »

Lordy, if that were true i would definitely be joining a gym! But like Alatariel said you'd have to be a johnny whopper to burn that much in 30 minutes.